View Single Post
Old 10-04-06, 05:51 AM
ducati

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 03SVTCobra
Its rough, walking through traffic isn't my favorite past time.

I found a used Trek 3700 for 250? If its in good shape does that sound about right?
Honestly: with that short of a commute I'd be buying something cheaper. If you buy a bike with a quick release seatpost and wheels you would spend more time locking the darn thing up (and dragging your seat to class) than you do commuting. What a drag.

Seriously, buy something in the $50 range from craigslist and commute on that.

NOW... If you want a bike for FUN and not commuting, a 3700 would be a fine choice. Personally, I'd buy new and buy an 820 ($259 list, I bet you can easily find one for 229). Same stuff on it, but a steel frame. You don't get much for your extra money with the 3700 frame, IMO. I rocked the K2 equivalent this summer on MUPs, roads, and trails in Teton Valley, ID and enjoyed the heck out of it. I was going to buy the 820 but the local shop had a K2 instead.

It is my experience that college towns are full of would-be theives, and I wouldn't want the real pita of locking up a treasured bike for every class. I probably would have stayed home in bed at the thought of all that work for a 3 minute ride..