DCCommuter
52-week commuter

Bikes: Redline Conquest, Cannonday, Specialized, RANS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
I hear disc brakes make you stop shorter. Coworker w/ discs has done MAJOR faceplant twice now going over the bars during 'panic stop'.
Before I had discs I went over the bars twice, haven't done it since I got discs.

Any brake should have enough power to lift the rear wheel. If it didn't I would consider it defective. What makes powerful brakes is modulation -- the ability to apply braking right up to the point where the rear wheel lifts, and then back off. This is where discs really shine, the modulation is terrific -- and it stays good, even as the brake pads wear.

A well-adjusted rim brake, on a perfectly true wheel, can also have good modulation. The problem, particularly for commuters, is that it is very easy for a rim brake to go out of adjustment, or for a wheel to go slightly out of true. When I had rim brakes I found that I just didn't adjust them as often as I needed to, and I often was riding with sub-standard brakes.
The United States of America is the only democratic nation in the world to deny citizens living in the nation's capital representation in the national legislature. District residents have no vote in either the U.S. Senate or U.S. House of Representatives. www.dcvote.org