View Single Post
Old 10-05-06, 11:02 AM
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lawkd
Mox, I used to think exactly what you did, that the wear was mostly on the plates and pins, and not the rollers. BUT my own experience, at least with SRAM chains, has been contrary to that. And it's not the *outside* of the rollers that wears, I think it's the *inside* of the rollers, rubbing against the pseudo-bushings that are created by the plates. That makes sense too, because it's probably the first place where grit combines with lube to form grinding compound. If the rollers are made of softer metal than the plates, as seems to be the case with the SRAM chains, they are what will wear, on their inside surfaces. If the plates are softer, *they* will wear. If the pins are softer than the plates, the plates will wear them away like in the picture. But my chains still had pristine, perfect pins and measured at exactly 12 inches, when the rollers had worn enough to have significantly more space between them.

Of all the methods discussed above, I think that San Rensho's is best. It takes the exact measurement of the gap between adjacent rollers, which is the bottom line, regardless of what exactly creates that gap. I like gcl8a's comparison of new chain/old chain, too.
Well, this has been very educational I must say. It sounds like wear on the insides of the rollers is a very significant part of chain stretch. I had no idea, but now I stand corrected Maybe I should point this thread out to Sheldon Brown? It seems like his own photo disagrees with the text on his page...

I have steel vernier calipers, so I think I'll start using San Rensho's method to measure chain wear. Seems accurate and pretty darn foolproof.