Old 10-05-06, 08:18 PM
CrosseyedCrickt
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The way you look and they way you are treated

Helmet Head and N C might find this interesting, I sure did.
It has happened to me in the past, but today it was quite noticeable.
Usually when I ride to work (at 3:30PM) I am dressed in high-vis clothing, not cycling specific granted, just bright and visable and technical (meaning moisture/temperature control), helmet, gloves, clear glasses, backpack... you know, the commuter getup.
Motorists seam to respect me as another vehicle. I ride the roads, signal, stop at lights and signs, etc. No honks (well, not usually), no engine gunning, no harassing moves by motorists, it is quite pleasing.
Today on my ride to work I was wearing blue jeans and a jacket. My head got cold because I did not have my wind cover for the helmet so I stopped, pulled the beanie out of my pocket (didn't have my backpack today), and tried to put it on under the helmet, too tight, so I strapped the helmet to the handlebars and kept riding.
I swear, by the time I got to work I felt like I was just an annoyance to motorists. People honking, passing too closely, strange looks at stop lights/signs. It was just plain uncomfortable to be treated like that.
I just shrugged it off, clocked in, and went to work.
Now looking back, this has happened before in the summer, especially if I am in shorts, T-shirt, and no helmet.
So, do I get more respect as a commuter when I look the part and not just look like another guy on a bike?
Any thoughts?