Old 10-05-06, 11:59 PM
mac
They see me rollin'

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale T2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've given up cycling and re-discovered the joy of RUNNING!

I've gotten really bored with cycling. It's a pain to get ready with all of the cycling gear, water / fluids, gels, HIDs, LEDs, vests, GPS, computer, etc., then there's the constant vigil of trying to avoid being hit by cars even when riding V.C. I busted my ankle over a year ago and had other injuries so I couldn't really run until now. Wow, I miss running! In a shorter workout time, I've gotten a better workout and worked more muscle groups. I think cycling is great if you are injured or overweight and can't run, but once you get well and drop the pounds, running really kicks you into shape. Compare track & field sprinters to bicyclists - they muscular and powerful instead of small and skinny.

I'm sure I'll eventually miss the novelty of riding a bike so I'll probably remove it from storage a couple times a year for a weekend ride. Maybe I'll do annual 1-week tours, but my goal has always been getting to the destination, not sight-seeing. I didn't have fun grinding out the miles day after day, but there's a great sense of accomplishment once I reached my destination. And it's something to do so I can brag to my friends, "oh yeah, I rode my bike to XXX."

The one and only reason I ride a bike is for exercise. If I can do something that takes less time, burns more calories, uses more muscle groups, and is safer, I'll go for it. I've thought about mountain biking, but I've got a dirtbike and it's a lot of fun tearing through the trails and the desert. I don't see the point in going a lot slower.

Anyone else ever get bored of cycling and give it up? Did you go back to it later on?

And you SoCal beach bicyclists keep off the bike path because that's for us runners. Go ride on PCH.