Old 10-07-06, 05:43 AM
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LittleBigMan
I was wondering if anyone else besides me thinks "consistency," that is, riding a route regularly at about the same time of day, might contribute to motorists expecting you to be there. Even more, that they might get used to passing you every time through practice. Finally, that if you are courteous and friendly, they might return that gesture in the form of greater caution and safer passing distances as they get to know you.

Any thoughts?

I see this too, but when you live in a rural county of about 28,000 (this county has grown a great deal in the last five years) and you're one of a very few cyclists, and the only one that tows a trailer, it's not at all unusual to be seen by a friend, someone you know, or someone you have seen/been seen by before.

I had a dumptruck driver with a load on, blow the horn while approaching me from behind on a two-lane NOL the other day. I did not shift right from my lane position, but smiled and waved as he passed in the on-coming lane. About two miles later I hung a right enroute to my house and there he was. Delivering his load, just past the intersection on my route. We smiled and waved to each other as I rode by.

In this situation, it pays to make an effort to give all motor vehicles passing from either direction, a smile and acknowledging nod or wave. Most likely it's someone that has seen you before and will see you again. If I lived just a few miles further north, in Tallahassee, this would not be possible, nor practical.

On my old commute, before I retired, I rode the same route at about the same time most days and would see a lot of the same cars. This was on Okinawa, with a lot more cars and people and much more motor vehicle traffic on my commute.