Old 10-08-06, 05:14 PM
yuhoo

Bikes: Raleigh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carusoswi
I cannot agree with your statement. I feel, as a cyclist, I have every right to ride in the street - bike lane or no bike lane. I also feel that a pedestrian has the right to run in the street.

None of us have the right to impede traffic (of any kind) - cars don't have a right to impede traffic, either.

IMHO, "Share the Road" signs mean just that - everybody shares.

Caruso
That is your opinion, but it is not what traffic law says.

"Share the Road" does not mean everybody shares the same space on the road and therefore can drive, walk or park whereever they like. For example, bus lanes are reserved for buses and you cannot bike or walk on a bus lane. Similarly, you as a motorist or cyclist cannot "share" the bus stop with transit buses and stop your car or bicycle in front of a bus stop.

A bicycle lane is a reserved lane for bicycles and is NOT necessarily located far right to the road. Here in Ottawa, it can be far left to the road, or in between a bus lane and a regular lane, or between two traffic lanes, or any configurations thereof. Because bike lanes are designed to be integrated with other traffic lanes, jogging on the bike lane is extremely dangerous and joggers can be ticketed for jay walking by police.

NOTE: in the winter time, some people do run on the roads (because of snow on the sidewalks) which is still illegal. Usually homeowners are responsible for clearing snow and ice for the portion of side walk in front of his house - otherwise he can be held liable if someone trips.

Where pedestrains can share a bike lane with cyclists, it is usually clearly marked as a multi-use lane.
Such a bike path is a mixed use path and is away from regular road traffic. Here, pedestrians, roller skaters, joggers, cyclists, wheelchairs, baby strollers, etc., can share the path together.

Last edited by yuhoo; 10-08-06 at 05:37 PM.