Old 10-08-06, 07:02 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by cc_rider
May not be true everywhere, but here it is illegal to run or walk in the street if there is a sidewalk available. And there are sidewalks almost everywhere.

I don't have a big problem with runners in the bike lane, but I seldom have a runner I'm passing yield to my bike. They usually hold the middle and force me to swerve. And they often run with traffic instead of against. I just write them off as rude and inconsiderate.
Most of my running was done on relatively quiet residential streets and when traffic is very low (a car every few minutes at most) I'd run very far into the lane, not center, but close. Main reason was this was a residential area and the biggest danger were drivers backing out of their driveways without looking down the sidewalk. Center of the lane gave me sightlines to see them and for them to sometimes see me, but most important, a few extra feet for me to react to them pulling out of their driveway. Same applied at side streets where most drivers don't stop at intersections in quiet residential areas.
Most of these residential streets did not have a bike lane, but some did.
As to stepping aside for cyclist, as I was facing traffic and could see well down the road if a car was not coming from behind cyclist, I moved toward curb, but stayed on the road or the bikelane. These were situations where it was all to easy for the cyclist to merge a bit out of the BL and pass me. I would never call it forcing the cyclist to swerve.
On busier roads I didn't run in the road/BL so it was never an issue.
Keep in mind all this is runnng facing oncoming traffic. Running on street with back to traffic is stupid.
Al