Old 09-12-03, 02:04 PM
N_C
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is TREK doing this to your LBS?

First I'll start by saying I have no problem with Trek's products they build a good bicycle.

But here is what they are doing to the small bike shop in my town. There are 2 stores that sell quality bikes. One is called Albrecht Cycle. They are the small privatley owned LBS. Albrechts main line is Trek, they are also a Giant and specialized dealer as well as others.

The other is Scheels. They are a high end all purpous sporting goods store. They are in the process of building new super size stores all over the country. You may have one in your town soon. Because of this they want to expand their line of bicycles that they carry. Scheels now wants to carry Trek.

So the rep. basically told the owner at Albrechts they have to drop of of their lines. Thsi needless to say dod not make the owner happy.

Scheels wined and dined and flew the Trek rep. to their new stores, etc. So it sounds like Scheels will get the Trek line. Now Albrechts can still carry it if they want to. The rep. is not telling them to drop their Trek line by any means. but it will seriously affect the sales of the Trek line at Albrechts because Scheels will offer the same line of Trek bikes for a lower price. Talk about unfair to Albrechts.

So the owner at Albrechts is boycotting Trek and if he drops any line of bikes it will be them. And they will simply increase their line of Giant, Specialized and other brands. hopefully Trek and Albrechts will come to a good solution before this happens though. Things are still up in the air regarding this issue right now and time wil tell what happens.

I do not know whos idea it was originally for Trek to do this. Whether it was Trek's, or Scheels, or a joint idea. I don't think the owner of Albrechts knows either. But it does not matter this is a classic case of the big guy undercutting the little guy.

Now don't get me wrong I like Scheels, I buy things other then bicycles there when it comes to high end sporting goods. That is because they have a good selection of outfitting, camping, etc. gear.

Has any thing like this happened in your area? If so which companies were involved?