Old 10-11-06, 03:50 PM
erikasberg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Building a tourer

Hi!
My first post on BF, just thought I´d share my touring bike project. Last week I picked up a Dawes bike for cheap from a local guy who probably didn´t know what he was selling.. It was in alright shape but it had been fitted with a lot of odd parts that I had no interest in. So the idea of a full restoration takes form. Yesterday I stripped everything from the frame, and next week I´m having it sandblasted, then painted in classic British racing green.
The bike is probably from late 80´s-early 90´s so it´s hardly a classic per se, but it´s still a very nice lugged Reynolds 531st frame and I´m looking to fit it with mostly classic touring parts. I want to do a longer, loaded tour next summer with this bike. These are some components I´ve been thinking about, opinions are highly appreciated!
-Maxicar hubs (40h rear and 36h front) fitted to Mavic A719 rims. My lbs has the hubs and I just have to get to terms with paying that much for a wheelset..I´m sure I´ll be very happy with them!
-Brakes. Not sure here yet..I´ve bin outbid on some Mafac cantilevers wich would be very nice..The Pauls are a bit pricey. What about Frogglegs? anybody use them for touring? I sort of like the look of them.
-Cranks. I have some Deores and 600´s lying around, but maybe I should try to get a hold of some vintage TA´s or Nervars?
-Racks. I´m having my lbs custom making me front and rear. I´ll be hangning Carradice panniers on them.
A lot of parts I already have, like brooks B17, original handlebar (wich will be shellaced), downtube shifters etc. Well anyhow, any ideas, suggestions and opinions are appreciated! I´ll keep posting as the build progresses.
/Erik
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
dawes2.jpg (98.6 KB, 101 views)
dawes1.jpg (91.9 KB, 121 views)
dawes3.jpg (95.6 KB, 151 views)
dawes4.jpg (99.1 KB, 112 views)