View Single Post
Old 10-11-06, 05:43 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by will dehne
There are many reasons for knee pain. Being 64 is not one of these reasons. You may want to use the search function of this forum for lots of threads. I seem to remember the following leading comments:
1) Saddle height. I think higher is better than too low. My knees are almost straight in foot down position.
2) Cadence. You should be above 80 RPM. Big guys (I am big) tend to mash the gears. No good.
3) Proper shoes. I prefer clip-less. My wife insists on clips and has frequent knee issues which go away with adjustments.
4) Arthritis. (I got that too) Low load spinning solved my problem but it took a lot of spinning.
5) Balanced exercise. Biking is good but a walk in the park may be better. (Use good cushioned shoes)

I agree with Will's feedback. Another thing that can cause knee pain is the saddle being out of adjustment- either being too far forward or too forward back or too low (or a combination of these). If the knee pain is in the front of the knee, try moving the saddle back a little and see if that helps. If the knee pain is in the back of the knee, slide the seat forward a touch.

I had pain in one knee but not the other but my seat height was fine. I simply adjusted the cleat a little bit forward on that foot and that has eliminated my pain. I've found pushing a hard gear and letting the cadence drop (Will's #2 above) has caused me some knee pain as well. It also works pretty hard on the hip flexors.........