Old 10-12-06, 12:09 PM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The reason I am asking is because my friend who is just getting to cycling, wants to start riding on a regular basis. She wants to lose weight for she is over 300 lbs. I took her out once and we went at a slow joggers pace and she wore a full warm up suit (after I had advised her not too) and she quickly overheated and we had to stop after about 15 mins of slow easy riding. We ended up walking back but next time around, I think she may reconsider her riding attire. She doesn't want to spend any money, for she isn't sure riding is for her. Any suggestions? She is ashamed of showing off her legs (won't do shorts!)

T-shirt and tapered sweat pants should be fine. Ideally with cycling shorts underneath. http://www.junonia.com sells exercise attire for the big girls among us. They have sizes 1-6....1-6x that is.

Make sure she limits the duration of her first few weeks of rides. It is easy to get discouraged in the beginning when everything is so hard. Do a flat course under 5 miles at a really slow pace and incorporate frequent stops before she is out of breath. At that weight you don't need to do much for a full workout. No sense in overdoing it.