View Single Post
Old 10-12-06, 01:38 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
However, I too am curious why you didn't ask someone what they were carrying. I've been asked many times about my choices for set-up and gear, and I've asked others about their choices. The answers can provide us with a different way of looking at things, new ideas, new choices.

Did ask one rider if she had any spare sandwiches in her bag- but no joy- All she had was spare clothing.

As I said- Checked the weather and NO rain, NO cold front coming in, and NO high winds. These were "Experienced" riders and the only thing I could think of was that they did the ride in 2001 when it was 70mph winds and torrential rain- ALL DAY. Hypothermia nearly set in for me so I went prepared but left all the "Extra" clothing at the start

Admittedly I was doing this with a new rider to distance riding and this was his longest ride to date, but Checked the new riders bike in the week- and checked him again before the ride- Took two jerseys out of his rucksack- Took his leggings out and loaned him a small backpack to carry a showerproof top and his food. He had the usual Tube- levers-patch kit and Pump on the bike so no need for any more.

Oh and Rowan- Belt and braces did not come into it- Two check in points where tea or coffeee was provided. Actually saw one rider get out his flask of stewed lukewarm tea at the second stop.

Spike Milligan