DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA
Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny99
If you do use Simple Green, rinse it off thoroughly afterwards. The stuff is acidic and it will corrode your chain (and other bike parts). The US military has banned Simple Green from aircraft maintenance because of this problem (official reports are easy to find on the Internet). Simple Green reportedly came out with a metal-safe version of their product, but my local stores don't carry it.
Yes. Simple Green can be highly corrosive and can also lead to brittle metal failure due to hydrogen embrittlement. It's safe to use on your chain as long as you don't let it sit for too long and you rinse it off very well afterwards. You also need to make sure it's all gone before applying lube because the lube won't stick otherwise.

Here's a picture of my Wippermann 911 chain after repeated prolongued soakings (before I knew better) in Simple Green (50/50 diluted with water). It eventually succumbed to brittle metal fractures. Notice the cracks in the sideplate leading outwards from the pins.

There is an article by Leonard Zinn that talks about this as well.