View Single Post
Old 10-15-06, 09:39 PM
OtherLisa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Howdy! I'm so new I don't even have an avatar...this is my first post. I guess I'm sort of a borderline Athena - have lost 10 lbs and need to lose 10 more - but boy am I loving this cycling thing. I just started in July. I got an inexpensive bike, a Diamondback Wildwood, and have spent the last two weekends obsessively shopping for an upgrade (plus this way I'll have a guest bike!). I live in LA, in Venice. The roads are pretty bad (and needless to say, so is the traffic) but I do have lovely beach bike paths that go all the way past Redondo Beach, and I'm really enjoying that. I'd like to bike to work a few days a week, though it's not the easiest ride. With all the potholes and sand and necessary curbs, I'm still looking at commuter bike options - that Trek 7300 is looking mighty good to me - any feedback?

What's worked for me with the weight loss has been the basic stuff, portion control, increasing activity and getting into a schedule. Aside from the cycling, I've always been a walker and done weight training. But since the beginning of the year, I got into a Pilates-based PT routine (for a chronic back problem) 3 X a week. I can't recommend that highly enough. Core strengthening has made a huge, huge difference in my overall mobility, energy level and sense of well-being. Plus, just about anyone at any age and fitness level can get into it and benefit.

Nice meeting you!