Portis
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by slowandsteady
Okay, I really like my road bike. This will be my first winter riding and I would like to survive it in one piece, so I need some advice. I have ridden my MTB in the snow in the past, but nothing serious so I am still relatively clueless about snowy riding for any length of time.

I have a 2006 Fuji Finest 1.0 WSD road bike and a 1993ish Trek 830 MTB. The Trek has a set of wide knobbies and a set of 1.25 slicks and a front suspension with the typical MTB triple and 7 speed gearing. The Fuji currently has Contis in a 23c and a compact double. The Trek weighs in around 30 pounds and the Fuji is about 19 lbs. I was thinking about getting cross tires for the Fuji in about a 30 or 33c and just riding that in the snow. Lets just say the Fuji has me sufficiently spoiled and I cannot bring myself to ride the Trek again, unless I plan on doing some true MTBing down some steep hills with giant boulders.

I live in Jersey so we don't often get a ton of snow, but most winters do get snow "storms" dumping under 6 inches at any one time. It often melts within a week or two, so most riding would likely be in slushy, dirty, gravely, salty mush.

All concerns about rust and dirt aside(I have no problem washing my bike daily), what bike should I ride? And, is it a suicide mission to even try to ride a road bike or does having thin cross tires really cut through the mush and down to the pavement?
Sounds to me like you want to ride the road bike. Personally, my roadbike hangs in the garage in the winter most of the time. Give me a wide tire and a mountain bike for winter please.