Old 10-17-06, 12:47 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by idleuser
Cycling alone will get your legs toned, but only to a cyclist's perspective In order to keep your legs defined, I'd say it's best to do high reps and low weights. Also, cycling alone could be bad for your knee area if you're overworking certain muscles (which cycling does). So I always try to do a workout in the gym with the muscles that cycling doesn't work on.

One of the Muscle groups I have to work on are the quad muscle around the knee. I can really work on them at the gym wheras on the bike they are just kept in trim- Good trim mind you but not as good a strengthening as I can get in the weights room on certain machines. Then there are the calf muscles. Neglected by a many but try pedalling circles awith a weak calf and you will understand how a good calf helps. Then how about a Spinning class. Not many mountain bikers even think of doing this roadie orientated form of exercise but Great for cardio vascular.

I am a fan of the Gym if you cannot get out on the bike but you have to use the gym to its full extent if you want to take the full benefit. And that also includes working the leg muscles that you think may be strong enough through cycling- I can assure you- they ain't

Spike Milligan