Old 10-19-06, 09:10 PM
cachehiker
Soma Lover

Bikes: one bike for every day of the week

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! Do I really have the audacity to reply to a Sheldon Brown sighting? I started with the Sheldon Brown article and am now hooked on building my own wheels. I'm up to about 15 or so but I don't build "boutique" wheels. My racing bike is the only one with fancy spoke patterns, bladed spokes, and all the rest of that jazz. I'll tension and true but I'm not about to pick parts and build wheels that close to the edge of reliability.

I myself am suprised at how quick an Open Pro on Ultegra Hubs can be if it's done right. The torsional advantage of a 32 spoke 3 cross wheel with ideal spoke tension is worth the effort if you want a bombproof training wheel. In fact, I won't build another wheel without a tension meter. If it's worth the two hours or so you're going to put into it, it's worth butted spokes and ideal spoke tension. If you want a racing wheel, use DT Revos and DuraAce and it will climb like a mountain goat and cruise like a gazelle.

Something as speedy as a Rolf Elan is another animal altogether and requires all of the tools and experience you can muster. I wouldn't dream of starting with something like that. I'm not there yet myself. Start your wheelbuilding with an everyday mountain set.

Last edited by cachehiker; 10-19-06 at 09:16 PM.