Old 10-20-06, 02:34 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
My brother has a Trek 1200 with a Tiagra triple. He has several thousand miles on it with very few problems. The only real gripe is poor front shifting. I believe it's from having too short chainstays not the der or STI's fault. Trek designs their road bikes with decidedly race type geometry unless it's a touring model. The short stays produce a very severe angle in certain gears. If the bike were a double, I think the Tiagra would shift perfectly.

The only thing I have against Sora is 8 speed. Because the 9 speed standard was around for so many years, it is well supported. 9 speed is still the only option on a MTB. The choice of chains and cassettes for Shimano 9 is huge. Even though Shimano is phasing out 9 speed, the rest of the industry is still supporting it. 9 speed barcons are relativley cheap also.

Lack of support is why I am selling off all my Campy 8 speed parts. I don't think Shimano will ever be in that position. Good luck and you should consider one of the 9 speed groups if possible.

Tim