View Single Post
Old 10-20-06, 07:06 AM
digger

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 132 Posts
Stampted stuff...not worth it

I was just looking through the thread "Bikes You've Built" (http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=234225) and I noticed alot of older frames which got me to thinking about a recent bike I have built.

Back in 2002 my brother gave me his old Raleigh Super Grand Prix road frame that he bought new in the mid 80s. I THINK he paid around $400 or so back then and put quite a few kms on it. Well, I built it up into a very nice (IMO) day touring bike that I used for 2003 to 2005.

Well, I decided I liked the frame and it fits, so last winter I decided that I was going to make some changes to the frame, drop the rear brake stay and add some water bottle bosses to the seat tube and then get it painted.

After all that work, I brought the frame into my LBS looking for a nice headset that would fit. He told me that the bike wasn't worth the cost ($80) to have it painted, "it's just all stampted stuff" he said.

I didn't ay anything, figuring that well, he's a jerk for one and maybe he IS right that it is not the highest quality frame as I am no expert.

Here is a picture BEFORE I got the work done, but it's not much differant than what you see here, I was able to match the paint very closely.

So, when this guy said it's all stampted stuff, what exactly did he mean? It's a chromoly lugged frame, at least the main triangle is chromoly, I'm not sure about the fork.