View Single Post
Old 10-24-06, 11:54 AM
DaFriMon
Member, Schmember

Bikes: Bike Friday Crusoe and Pocket Tourist. Dahon Curve D3 and Speed P8. Raleigh Twenty. Bianchi Eros. Highly modified Mongoose Dynametric (hybrid)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
From what I understand, the Ritchey Breakaway (and its slightly cheaper sister, the Dahon Allegro) are road bikes, not touring bikes. So the geometry and tube-choice will be sub-optimal. Not sure about the braze-ons etc.

Besides, if the guy doesn't want to spend $1400 on a Bike Friday, I think a $2000+ separatable may not fit his budget....
Agreed, although you could have a steel framed touring bike retro-fitted for S&S couplers. Same general idea as the Breakaway, and the additional cost would be a lot less if he already had a suitable bike.

Note to the OP about folding bikes for longer tours. Decide in advance how you're going to handle the suitcase. Are you going to leave it at the town you fly in to, and come back to pick it up later? If you're flying out of a different town, can you ship the suitcase to that town and have it held for you? Or are you going to go with Bike Friday's travel case system where the suitcase becomes a trailer, and you tow it? One other alternative, use some sort of soft case that you can fold up to carry. Some people report doing this without serious damage to their bikes. I have my doubts.

I've read mostly good reports on the trailer system, but a few negative ones too. Myself, I've always been able to leave the suitcase and come back for it, but that does restrict my choices for itinerary somewhat.

Based on what the OP says, I'd be pretty confident in recommending either a Pocket Llama or NWT. Not sure how my BF Crusoe would hold up to an expedition tour on really bad roads.

BTW, I returned yesterday from a trip with my Crusoe. As I waited by the baggage carousel for my Samsonite case to come around, five regular bike containers came by. Four were large cardboard bike boxes, the other was a hard case. They were picked up by a group of younger people, late teens or early twenties. No point, I'd just never noticed non folders coming through on an airline before. $85 each, I think, unless the price had changed.

Last edited by DaFriMon; 10-24-06 at 12:04 PM.