cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by oldokie
Been riding a hybrid for exercise but recently started shopping for a road bike so I can keep up with friends on faster road bike during casual rides - not interested in racing.
Well, seems you have 'qualified' your Q even before asking it...
Independent of calories/hr, keeping up with your friends dependz. If you're a 'stronger' rider then pick a tool that'll make you work harder. Less hardy than them, then stack as much in your favor as possible.
Now, on to the Q.
Originally Posted by oldokie
Stopped by LBS in my shopping and the guy tells me that the road bike is better exercise because it is more efficient. I know it is more efficient in terms of speed and milage but that is not my objective during exercise.
From a calories per hour or general biking exercise standpoint, would the type of bike make any difference? I have been assuming that my calories per hour and general exercise benefits would be equal no matter what type of bike I am riding. One hour on a hybrid = one hour on a road bike.
Any evidence to the contrary?
Speed, mileage are really part of the same measure. But neither indicate 'load'; unless qualified in a number of other ways. So many other variables.
The Kcalories you expend is directly tied to the 'power' you put out, and therfore the 'work'. That can be the same for many different bikes and other 'exercises'. The more 'work' you do, the greater the Kcals expended.
Back to bikes. Assuming the same rider, a similar 'fit' for the rider, assuming similar mechanical efficiencies for the machines (and a decent hybrid will be roughly the same as a decent traditional road bike), assuming using the same gearing and riding methods, that leaves one important variable, aerodynamics.
AT any given 'speed' a more upright position will require more work to overcome air resistence. So, a more upright position, as with riding many hybrids, ridden at the same speed as a more aero position on a 'road' bike, will require more 'work'.
The 'hour on a hybrid' V 'hour on a roadie' is a red herring.
work is work. "American Idol" may allow you to get around that, but physics and biomechanics will not.