Old 10-27-06, 10:15 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
Maybe, but my HID has been a PITA to maintain. I can't seem to run one for more than a couple hours in real conditions. I hate to eat the cost, but I'm ready to convert to something more reliable and just carry extra NiMH batteries to cover my lighting needs. HID totally rocks when it works, but it disappoints too often. Just as I wouldn't consider anything but steel for my commuter (but would never consider that material for my racer), I'm thinking my commuter lights need to be dimmer, heavier, and more reliable (i.e. halogen).
Like all things, there are HID's that are great and ones that are not. If you have a Nightrider with starting problems get it repaired for free in a few days by Nightrider.

If you can only get a couple of hours out of a four hour light, that's the cold. Or a damaged battery.

If you are riding in the cold, since the halogen lights will draw more current than the HID for equal or even less brightness the cold problems will be worse or will be the same if you have the same battery. If it's cold enough extra batteries will do no good at all, they will get cold too if you let them.That's a battery problem, that can be over come with insulation and a chemical handwarmer. Or a different type of battery. Nothing to do with the light.

There are plenty of reliable HIDs around that run as long as you want. My Lupime goes for 8 hours just fine and the battery is very lightweight. I had to have my Nightrider repaired due to starting problems, no cost, and return shipping paid.

I get full run time in the cold because of the Li-ion battery on the Lupine, and the temps I ride in rarely go to 10F mostly over 20f or 25f. My Lupime never has problems and all HID light bulbs are more resistant to impact than halogen. Most of them get used in 24 hour mtb races all the time.