View Single Post
Old 10-28-06, 12:50 PM
Woodlark

Bikes: Rans Fusion/Catrike Road/Bacchetta Cafe'

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have perused the internet and found a number of bikes that, based on your suggestions, might be good for me. However, at least for my first serious bike, I hesitate to buy online. I have visited two LBS's, one about 4 miles away and one about 20 miles away. The closer one is the smaller of the two and has a very limited selection of bikes. The lady running the shop (she is the only person I have seen working there) recommended a Fuji Crosstown 3.0 (17" frame) for $340. This bike has the following plusses and minuses (IMHO):
Has fenders + (but adds weight)
Has kickstand + (but adds weight)
Has front shocks ? (adds weight)
Has twist grip shifters - (I just don't like them)
Heavy (almost 33 lbs)

The second shop is larger, has a much larger selection of bikes, and had at least 3 or 4 people working there who divided their time between waiting on customers and working on bikes. One of them spent time with me and discussed bike types and sizes with me and showed me examples of each type bike, pointing out its advantages, disadvantages and price ranges. Based on info on this and other forums, I asked bout touring bikes, but the salesman felt that, at least until I get a lot more used to riding, I would be much better of sticking to flat bars. He first showed me a Trek 7200 which I found to be very much like the Fuji (without kickstand and fenders) We also looked at a Specialized and several other bikes. Finally got to a Trek 7.2FX. I really like the setup on the 7.2FX! It has mountain bike type shifters and a rigid front fork (I think I prefer both). It does lose the fenders and kickstand, but I'm sure those are cheap to add if I decide I need them. It weighs about 4 lbs less than the Fuji. The price of the Trek is higher than the Fuji (about $400), but according to the sign in the store, lifetime tuneups are included.

Neither shop had a bike in my size on the showroom floor, but both had them in stock still boxed and both offered to assemble one for me to try. I am going to ride the Trek on Monday, and if I don't like it (how could I not?), then I will try the Fuji.

If I really get into ths cycling thing and my back can take it, I can see myself in a couple years buying a touring bike (they had a Bianchi Volpe in the second shop, and I liked it a lot).

If anyone has any comments about either of these two bikes (or alternatives), I'm listening!