divergence
del dot

Bikes: Tour Easy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rpmfast
How do I turn left from a 6 lane HWY onto a four lane HWY and still "get to the right lane". The problems i run into are getting to the far left on the three lanes then getting to the far right on the 2 lane (and not get runned over). There is a light at the intersection that allows two lanes to turn left.
I understand the challenge in merging left through three lanes of highway-speed traffic (and the above posters give good advice on how to negotiate the merge, and on alternative ways to make the turn.) But I'm unclear on why you're having trouble ending your turn in the rightmost lane of the 4-lane highway.

You mention that there are two left-turn lanes at the light; by chance are you using the one on the left? If you use the rightmost of the two turn lanes, you should end up in the lane you want just by following the normal lines of the turn. If the problem is that people are trying to squeeze past you in that same lane while you turn, then positioning yourself in the center of the lane might be enough to get them to follow you through the turn instead. Once you're through the turn, you can merge right onto the shoulder (if that's where you want to be) of the new road.