View Single Post
Old 09-30-03, 08:04 PM
Cycliste

Bikes: Surley LHT, Cannondale R1000, IBEX Ignition, Bianchi Boardwalk, KHS Milano Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by L J Horton
You don't mention your location but you do say it is seasonal which implys you have snowy winters.

YES

It's also implied that there is a large tourist population to avail themselves of your service.

YES

Is there skiing in the area?

NOT NEARBY, AT LEAST ONE HOUR AWAY

You don't mention about contacting local hotels, motels, inns etc. about space to advertise.

YES, DEFINETLY IN MARKETING PLAN. GOOD LEAFLETS AT ALL GOOD PLACES TO STAY.

Just opening a storefront without adequate advertising in the form of posters or newspaperads is asking for slow word-of-mouth acknowledgement. AGREED, BUT LOCATION IS PRIME TOO.

Have you considered clothing or pack accessories? I think you will find that once people see a "Bike" store they will come in looking for things normally found at a full line LBS.

THOUGHT OF SOME MERCHANDISING BUT DEFINETLY NOT TURNING INTO AN LBS, FAST MOVING GOODS ONLY

How about maintenence? Will you do it yourself? Hire a mechanic? MYSELF FOR A START, THEN HIRE MECHANIC WHEN BUSINESS TAKES OFF.

Take the equipment to a regular shop for repair. TOO EXPENSIVE.

You'll find that rental bikes are not used kindly. Bent wheels, bent derailleurs, poor shifting and brakes that don't stop will be common complaints. GOOD POINT, PLANNING ON PURCHASING GOOD QUALITY NEW BIKES WILL HELP REDUCE THIS PROBLEM.
IF BUSINESS IS GOOD, TURN FLEET AROUND QUICKLY

But you are embarking upon a wonderful adventure and I wish for you the greatest amount of success possible. Good Luck!
THANK YOU FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT !