Thread: LBS loathing.
View Single Post
Old 10-29-06, 08:50 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by wheel
I always feel belittled by them from what they say and don't say.
The bike never comes out totally fixed (or not fixed at all) and I try to tell them tiny problems as they roll their eyes.
They move the seat all out of wack. Even leaving it in unrideable positions. ...
A number of things could be going on. As others have mentioned, you might have a bad LBS. Your expectations might not be realistic. For example, some tiny problems can be amazingly time consuming to diagnose and fix, but they don't actually need to be fixed. Part of maintaining a bike is knowing what things do and do not require attention.

Whatever the case, it is always worth knowing how to do things. If you understand how to do things, you can tell people what you need, ask the right questions, answer questions others have for you, and understand what your money pays for.

In my professional life, I design and support things for people. My experience is that providing service for a knowledgeable customer is far easier because I understand what the customer needs, s/he understands my constraints when I communicate them, so the end result is a superior product delivered in much less time. In my opinion, the least informed customers are the hardest and most time consuming ones to work with -- and their level of satisfaction with the process and final product tends to be lower.