philso
vintage tourer

Bikes: '72 bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ivegotabike
I understand the need for certain amenities when on a long tour, and i understand lots of weight on tours in harsh weather; however, when touring in fair weather do you realy need any more than a light tarp to shelter you from the rain, a pot, a spork, a light stove, food water, maps, a change of clothes, a lighter a flashlight and a light blanket? perhaps a sleeping pad. (and what you need to repair your bike)

idk it just seems like half the fun would be the simplicity. Why haul around all the junk?
well, for 1 thing, "long tour" and "fair weather" are two sets of words that rarely go together and can never be counted on. so, you'd better also include some rainwear in your list and add another 2 lbs or so.

then while you can have all the privacy you want in the mountains with just a tarp, most people would prefer even a very small tent for both privacy and protection against driving rain. an extra 2 lbs maybe.

on long tours, most people would want to stop at some point and enjoy a nice meal in a restaurant where cycling shorts would just stick out too much or not even be allowed, so, better throw in a set of "regular" clothes. 2 or 3 pounds there, too.

how about a camera? or some reading material? etc.

i consider myself a minimalist. i've even done 1 or 2 nighters where i've scrounged up some cardboard to sleep on and some newspapers to stuff in my clothing and gotten a fair night's sleep. it wouldn't cut it on a long tour though. even in the mountains when i do week or 10-day long trips with just a tarp, after the first few nights, it's hardly "relaxing". if you've got a goal, shedding weight is fine. but if you want to enjoy a trip, a certain amount of creature comfort is necessary. for some, that might include a cast iron skillet! why not?