Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Two questions:

1. Have you added up the weight of: "a light tarp to shelter you from the rain, a pot, a spork, a light stove, food water, maps, a change of clothes, a lighter a flashlight and a light blanket? perhaps a sleeping pad. (and what you need to repair your bike)". You might be surprised to discover how much all that actually weighs!!

2. Where do you live where they have fair weather all the time ... or where were you planning to tour where there is fair weather all the time? I've yet to discover this fair weather nirvana, but if you have, do let us know where it is!!

I think you can tour with what you've mentioned there ... I know a person who has done just that. But he did the tour more as a mission to get from one place to another as quickly as possible (riding a century or more a day usually), and he was the first to admit that he was not comfortable.

So I guess it depends on your goal.

If your goal is to relax and see the world, I'd recommend bringing a few more things because you are going to encounter bad weather (in my experience, bad weather seems to follow and lurk over cycletourists for some reason), you will likely encounter mosquitoes and other insect/spider/snake life, and if your tour is at all extended you may experience a desire for some variety and luxury.

If your goal is to cross a country in as short a period of time as possible, then what you've listed will work.