Old 10-30-06, 03:47 AM
wheelin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jibi
It depends where the tour goes as well.
If the next town/village is 2 or 3 days away then food and water need to be carried, and something to carry them in /on. Water filters, tablets, MP3, phone, GPS so you need a solar panel for charging batteries.george
I would consider above an expedition, and not a tour. If you cannot call yourself a tourist, then it's not a tour.
Originally Posted by Machka
If your goal is to relax and see the world, I'd recommend bringing a few more things because you are going to encounter bad weather (in my experience, bad weather seems to follow and lurk over cycletourists for some reason), you will likely encounter mosquitoes and other insect/spider/snake life, and if your tour is at all extended you may experience a desire for some variety and luxury.

If your goal is to cross a country in as short a period of time as possible, then what you've listed will work.
Above is what I consider an essential element in cyclo touring, to a degree, with the joy of cycling thrown in. That means traveling reasonably light, and travel fast. I like to visit places of interest, meet and talk with local people, and eat local food. Yet i carry some dry food, in case I get caught by some unexpected event, tent and sleeping bag when local accommodation cannot be found. So, essentially, I tour and cycle. I don't like camping with bicycle. I go camping with my family with car.

Last edited by wheelin; 10-30-06 at 04:05 AM.