Old 10-30-06, 08:32 AM
Wheelchairman
Bendigo Youth Racing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Really? What do you think the actual diameter of a 20" wheel is? I recommend a SRAM dual-drive rear wheel, which will allow you to use 'normal' chainrings. Nice-looking bike so far, BTW.
I would not have a clue about diameters- Ive always assumed BMX sized rim=20" but I know from building jigs that it usually aint as simple as that. I understand I could easily find out, but I personally don't really have a need to. I just simplfy things by matching a rim with the tyre i'd assume to use and base jig measurements on that.
I'm simply basing those speeds of my last post on one vehicle, Bendigo Youth Racing's BY-06. I know youse are all probably bored with me posting this up, and nor do the majority of you even care for faired trikes, but youse should know that this is the finest example of a faired trike in this current day and for many days to come. On a packed racetrack this will do up to 43mph through the speed-trap. Most trikes couldn't run a 61tooth and be doing 80rpm up a hill in the highest gear, but this one will do it everytime. This is not a speed trike (how boring ), but with a larger chainring (65?), tailwind and open, smooth road, I'd assume 60+mph would be possible. Bascially what I'm getting at Blazing Pedals, is that it is possible to reach those speeds with a 61tooth running a 20"rear, but only in the most sorted, efficent and most slippery of faired trikes. I'd assume they're small speeds to what those lowracer streamliners will do though

Anyway....an update then?

Well today I attached a drivetrain. I welded a derailiur hanger on, mounted a long cage, and a BB. A crankset then went on, followed by a 57tooth chainring. Thats the best I have at this stage, but according to my estimations a move to a 62 would only add 9mm to the chainring's radius, which I've taken onboard.
A chain has been mounted and suddenly Ive hit a problem . The front fork is dead-center in the chains path. I could only assume that running like this will result in instant derailment and loss of efficentcy. Does anyone have an answer? I understand you can buy BB spacers. Can anyone confirm that or even give me a link or product description?
The idea Im thinking of right now is pretty extreme, but involves building what can bascially be called a idle pully cage minus the idle pullys. This cage will be part of the fork, and will bascially split the fork in two pieces, then rewelded with the cage.
My other idea is to experiment with a single blade design. I have the components and know-how to make it work very easily.......but will a run of the mill BMX fork withstand the forces? Just many questions that need answers.....or actions to find answers.

Ive got another question for all you lowracer owners out there. How much do you have to change your riding habits over a DF bike? I layed a board on the spine and had a seat, clipped into pedals, and found my heels touch the tyres when they're turned at an extreme angle. Its as simple as pedeling forward to avoid this. Im sure this is a normal evil for some lowracers, but is there any other compromises I'll just have to live with?

Anyway, Cheers