Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Senior Member Keith99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,789
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Lance - Most Tested?

    I keep hearing Lance Armstrong is the most tested athlete in the world when it comes to drug use. I have a good idea where this starts, the guys on OLN say it all the time. Frankly I doubt it, American Football has some pretty strict random testing rules for guys who have been caught and I'm sure many other sports are the same (e.g. once caught tested a lot).

    But when I tried to look things up on the net about cycling in general and Lance specifically I found almost nothing. I've seen some very knowledgeable posts on this site and hope someone here actually has some hard facts.

    BTW I'm not one of the Lance is using guys or the other side either. I'm fairly middle of the road. I'm inclined to think he is pushing the rules to the edge and using anything legal to get an advantage. I would not be surprised if he has stepped over the line, but I would be very surprised to find that any rule breaking when it comes to Lance is outside the norm for cycling.

    So once again does anyone have any real information? The UCI rules about drug testing, esp. out of competition testing would be a whole lot more than I've seen so far.

    Thanks in advance,

    Keith

  2. #2
    He drop me Grasschopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Central PA
    My Bikes
    '03 Marin Mill Valley, '06 Cannondale Rush, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '07 Bottecchia Euro Sprint Tour Comp Elite Pro 1000
    Posts
    11,436
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have specifics on Lance's testing but one thing that is a factor here is that in the NFL for instance you are only tested during the season, the UCI can do random tests 365 days a year 24hrs a day.
    The views expressed by this poster do not reflect the views of BikeForums.net.

  3. #3
    Senior Member peterm5365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    243
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe he also gets tested after every stage in which he wore the yellow jersey. I think that extends to the first few riders in the GC as well. So, near the end of the tour it's like 6 times in a week.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    218
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe in the NFL, during the season, only 6 random players per team per week are tested. Maybe it's hyperbole to say he's the most tested but Lance does go through alot of testing. And I haven't heard arguments from anyone else to say no, I'm the most tested.

  5. #5
    Senior Member classic1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    5,019
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone like Petacchi, McEwen or Boonen who wins 20+ races a year are likely to be tested as much or more that LA.

  6. #6
    Senior Member skydive69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Seminole, FL
    My Bikes
    Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia
    Posts
    2,258
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith99
    I keep hearing Lance Armstrong is the most tested athlete in the world when it comes to drug use. I have a good idea where this starts, the guys on OLN say it all the time. Frankly I doubt it, American Football has some pretty strict random testing rules for guys who have been caught and I'm sure many other sports are the same (e.g. once caught tested a lot).

    But when I tried to look things up on the net about cycling in general and Lance specifically I found almost nothing. I've seen some very knowledgeable posts on this site and hope someone here actually has some hard facts.

    BTW I'm not one of the Lance is using guys or the other side either. I'm fairly middle of the road. I'm inclined to think he is pushing the rules to the edge and using anything legal to get an advantage. I would not be surprised if he has stepped over the line, but I would be very surprised to find that any rule breaking when it comes to Lance is outside the norm for cycling.

    So once again does anyone have any real information? The UCI rules about drug testing, esp. out of competition testing would be a whole lot more than I've seen so far.

    Thanks in advance,

    Keith
    You must not have read his book (I can't remember which of the two), but the testers constantly were showing up at his house at odd hours and always unannounced. I wonder how many football players are visited often at their homes?
    www.brokennecktobrokenrecords.com

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    My Bikes
    Surley LHT, Cannondale R1000, IBEX Ignition, Bianchi Boardwalk, KHS Milano Tandem
    Posts
    880
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skydive69
    You must not have read his book (I can't remember which of the two), but the testers constantly were showing up at his house at odd hours and always unannounced. I wonder how many football players are visited often at their homes?
    Yep, even once he related in one of his books, on their way out of the house to the airport or something like that, and they would proceed with the test no matter how much time it took even if they were going to miss their flight
    (then again, when I reread this passage for the second time, I started my own conspiracy theory that he and his wife were fleing from the testers, yeah that's what happened! )

  8. #8
    BIG RING Bikeophile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hamilton (Formerly Toronto)
    Posts
    787
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Lance apparently is tested up to a few times a week even in the off season, and apparently during the TDF, its not only during his stage wins...it can be as often as every day.

    Remember the NFL season isn't very long either...so on top of the fact that only a half dozen of them get checked each week....That's only during the season and maybe the training camp.

    Guys like Pettachi haven't been winning 20+ races per year for 6 years in a row either...so I doubt they've been tested near as much as Armstrong...

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    78
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In his book he even tells of a time where the testers arrived early on Christmas morning one year.
    dekkerfan

  10. #10
    a blend of wit and charm Moochers_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    Serotta Fierte and a 1989 Centurian Prestige (plus, various others)
    Posts
    885
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year, Armstrong mentioned that during a pre-tour race in France, he was part of some random drug testing.

    Then joked that in France, "random" means: anyone who's last name starts with "A".
    Last edited by Moochers_Dad; 07-10-06 at 01:39 PM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    108
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moochers_Dad
    Last year, Lance mentioned that during a pre-tour race in France, he was part of some random drug testing.

    Then joked that in France, "random" means: anyone who's last name starts with "A".
    I wouldn't be surprised that the testers have kept some of Lance's blood samples to retest some of those samples with the newer testing protocols, like the one that nabbed Tyler.

  12. #12
    raodmaster shaman
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    G-ville
    Posts
    1,431
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how much blood do they take? it couldnt be very much or they'd bleed a guy of his strength at the kind of frequency you guys mention.

    any one know?

  13. #13
    Light Makes Right GV27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Green Mountain, Colorado
    My Bikes
    Gianni Motta Criterium, Dean Hardtail
    Posts
    1,521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbcx
    I wouldn't be surprised that the testers have kept some of Lance's blood samples to retest some of those samples with the newer testing protocols, like the one that nabbed Tyler.
    Oh, they absolutely do! All of the riders have "archived" samples. But Lance probably the most because there are a lot of guys out there absolutely obsessed with "catching" Lance. They boast about how they have all these samples in storage and will someday nail him.

    The NFL is a VERY poor sport to compare against. Until this week, the MOST off-season tests that could be administered on a player was two. Most guys got none. There are a lot of sports that do a lot more testing than Football. Running, swimming and lifting come immediately to mind.

    THE most tested? Maybe. One of the most tested? Absolutely.

    Chris

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Ketchum Id.
    My Bikes
    Scott CR1
    Posts
    348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pro sports testing in the US is an absolute joke. Just ask congress. Nuff said.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Keith99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,789
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll reask the original question. Anything besides Lance or OLN saying something. If people will reread my post I said the NFL has some pretty strict rules for guys who have been CAUGHT and I'm pretty sure other sports do also.

    Classic1 pointed out (and I agree) that other guys in cycling who ride and win a lot more races during the year are lilely tested just as much or more. In fact for someone who is sure Lance uses drugs his preparation for the Tour that is more training and less racing is evidence that he is trying to avoid testing. (I do not think that, but I do see how it could be the case).

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    255
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith99
    In fact for someone who is sure Lance uses drugs his preparation for the Tour that is more training and less racing is evidence that he is trying to avoid testing. (I do not think that, but I do see how it could be the case).
    How could that possibly be the case? UCI and WADA protocols allow for all athletes to be random tested at any time, including the off-season. Racing has nothing to do with it. You'd better believe that he gets tested regularly, not just when he's in the TdF, same as the other big names (Ullrich, Petacchi, Mayo...)
    Damn the Man, Save the Empire
    Brooklyn Velo Force

  17. #17
    Senior Member Keith99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,789
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those protocalls seem pretty hard to find, but one thing I could find was that the banned list is different for in and out of competition tests. That alone is surely enough for someone to argue that Lance is doing something where he wants to avoid some of the testing.

    BTW I do not think he is, it is just I'm very tired of the Lance worshipers saying he is the most tested without ever citing any real numbers. I am quite convinced he is more than adequately tested and at the very worst he is using as much as his major competitors.

  18. #18
    Senior Member doctorSpoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    523
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the thing that i don't get about people saying an athlete is tested, therefore he must be clean is... why would any athlete be stupid enough to take something they are testing for? i mean WADA and the UCI publish a list.. all an athlete needs to do is take something that is not on that list... they get a test for EPO... athletes go to homologous blood transfusions.. the get a test for homologous blood transfusions athletes go to auto-blood transfusions... or the multitude of designer drugs out there a al Balco. Tyler said his team had there own equipment for doing all the test that WADA was doing and when there was a discrepancy they went out and bought the exact same brand and model of the machine that WADA was using... so they could make sure his hematocrit was maximized... i mean being measured properly (went from .35 to .497, .5 is an automatic fail, when WADA sent him some letters saying.. he buddy what's going on here). get real, these guys aren't stupid and they have the resources to keep the testers at bay... athletes get caught it's because they have been careless end of story

  19. #19
    YATTA!!! adamfresno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Vegas Baby Vegas
    Posts
    183
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    athletes will always be one step ahead of the testers, but its also an odds game. What ever their motivation is for taking banned drugs that they have test for, its gamble many take. I guess its like a casino for many, cyclist, baseball players, weight lifters, runners, etc..., the payoff can be huge, but there are many downsides to it.

    As for Lance, yeah he probably gets the hell tested out of him.

  20. #20
    Senior Member doctorSpoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    523
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, but the point is, if they are testing for A, B and C and if i'm smart I take D... they can test me 10 times a day 365 days a year and they are not going to find anything... hell, they can test me every hour, 365 days a year and are not going to find anything... so it's REALLY faulty logic to think that because someone is being tested more than someone else that there is a greater likely hood that they are clean... it just doesn't follow... it just doesn't make any kind of sense.

  21. #21
    Evil Genius capsicum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sumner, WA
    My Bikes
    '92 novara ponderosa, '74 schwinn le tour, Novara fusion, novara transfer, novara randonee(2), novara careema pro, novara bonita(2).
    Posts
    1,529
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if they bother to test for that new stuff, what's it called again.......oh yes! CRACK.
    "Data is not the plural form of annecdote."
    "yuo ned to be deadurcated"

  22. #22
    meb
    meb is offline
    Senior Member meb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    arlington, VA
    Posts
    1,745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikeophile
    ...

    Guys like Pettachi haven't been winning 20+ races per year for 6 years in a row either...so I doubt they've been tested near as much as Armstrong...
    Yes, but the OP raised a present tense question.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •