Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-05-05, 10:16 PM   #1
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine
Thread Starter
 
DXchulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Reno
Bikes:
Posts: 5,913
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yellow Jerseys- Following the fabric

This doesn't really matter, but I'm curious- where do the yellow (or pink) jerseys come from? They always seem to have one for even the most unexpected winners. Do the organizers make one of each size for each team before the race? If so, what happens to all of the jerseys that were never won? Do they just throw them away? Could some clown from a tiny little team have a yellow jersey just for fun? He could ride around in a yellow jersey from the TDF pretending he actually won the thing or maybe he could hang it on his wall for motivation.

Is there some other way they take care of this? It seems like that would cost a lot of money.
DXchulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-05, 11:04 PM   #2
Laggard
Lance Hater
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 4,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
They have a few of each size ready for each days stage. When the stage is over and before the presentation, someone backstage quickly heat transfers the appropriate team logo onto the jersey.

You'll notice that in some tours like the TDF, they have what is just a ceremonial jersey for the presentation. They zip up in the back and are not worn during the race.
Laggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 12:24 AM   #3
ed073
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Melbourne
Bikes: Scapin EOS7 sloping, 10v Record, Ksyriums
Posts: 6,411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXchulo
This doesn't really matter, but I'm curious- where do the yellow (or pink) jerseys come from? They always seem to have one for even the most unexpected winners. Do the organizers make one of each size for each team before the race? If so, what happens to all of the jerseys that were never won? Do they just throw them away? Could some clown from a tiny little team have a yellow jersey just for fun? He could ride around in a yellow jersey from the TDF pretending he actually won the thing or maybe he could hang it on his wall for motivation.

Is there some other way they take care of this? It seems like that would cost a lot of money.

1. Sponsors. They follow the race with a van full of jerseys, all sizes, short and long sleeve, thermals as well.
2. As soon as the classement is known, they quickly heat-press a podium jersey with a coloured plastic transfer of the sponsor, and this goes to the podium. It goes on easily, as the podium jersey zips at the back.(one size fits all....most riders are a similar build!) The rider often keeps this jersey and mounts it as a memento. Later on that night, properly fitted racing jerseys are sent to the rider's hotel.
ed073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 01:30 AM   #4
gmason
Senior Member (Retired)
 
gmason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Great North Woods
Bikes: Vittorio, Centaur triple; Casati Laser Piu, Chorus Triple.
Posts: 2,671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Several times during the Giro, they cut away from the post-stage show video to show a person ironing the team logo onto the generic jersey for the presentation.
gmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 06:45 AM   #5
EventServices
Announcer
 
EventServices's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Detroit's North Side.
Bikes: Many
Posts: 5,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Heat press? Not always.
I have a Motorola sticker made of fabric that one of the mechanics gave me at the DuPont Tour in 1995. Usually, that's all they use.
Each team is required to supply those stickers.

And I also saw a box full of leader's jerseys unceremoniously stuffed into the trunk of a Race vehicle at TdG. It's a lot less formal that you'd expect.
I mean, they don't carry them around in a velvet-lined box a la the Stanley Cup

(The Stanley Cup was once the most revered trophy in all of sports until hockey became passe`. When the NHL folded, the Stanley Cup was sold to a gas station in Toronto for use during oil changes. Sad story, really.)
EventServices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 07:14 AM   #6
gmason
Senior Member (Retired)
 
gmason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Great North Woods
Bikes: Vittorio, Centaur triple; Casati Laser Piu, Chorus Triple.
Posts: 2,671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EventServices
The Stanley Cup was once the most revered trophy in all of sports until hockey became passe`. When the NHL folded, the Stanley Cup was sold to a gas station in Toronto for use during oil changes. Sad story, really.)
I guess this was taken before that. I am the geeky one on the left.
gmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 08:02 AM   #7
GV27
Light Makes Right
 
GV27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Green Mountain, Colorado
Bikes: Gianni Motta Criterium, Dean Hardtail
Posts: 1,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, so there's the one they present on the podium, quickly ironed on, etc. But then for top pro race, the competitor's team/sponsor/whomever provides the jersey themselves.

Seriously - do you really think Lance's all-yellow custom fit Nike TT skin suit rides around in the back of Jean Marie LeBlanc's Citroen for three weeks? Well - maybe it does. Bad example. But you get my point!

They had cameras in Lance's room during the tour last year. He had a box full of his own yellow jerseys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXchulo
This doesn't really matter, but I'm curious- where do the yellow (or pink) jerseys come from? They always seem to have one for even the most unexpected winners. Do the organizers make one of each size for each team before the race? If so, what happens to all of the jerseys that were never won? Do they just throw them away? Could some clown from a tiny little team have a yellow jersey just for fun? He could ride around in a yellow jersey from the TDF pretending he actually won the thing or maybe he could hang it on his wall for motivation.

Is there some other way they take care of this? It seems like that would cost a lot of money.
Heck yeah it costs the sponsors a lot of money. But then they are looking to spend money to promote their brand. Nike LOVES to spend a bunch of money on Lance's yellow TT suit!

If you look at the presentation jerseys at the TdF, you'll notice it's a weird thing you wouldn't want to ride in anyway. It's got a full length zipper in the back to streamline the presentation and give The Badger something to do up there. I guess it would be good for flirting out on a ride. "Hey, could you unzip me? I'm soooooo HOT!". IIRC they're long-sleeve as well.

Ride around in a yellow jersey like you won the thing? Heck yeah - I see dorks doing it all the time. Around Tour time your LBS will gladly sell you an "official" Mellow Johnny for $100! Same for mountain's (polka dots) best young rider (white) and sprinter's (green) jerseys.

75 Euros:

Last edited by GV27; 06-06-05 at 08:31 AM.
GV27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 04:12 PM   #8
ed073
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Melbourne
Bikes: Scapin EOS7 sloping, 10v Record, Ksyriums
Posts: 6,411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GV27
OK, so there's the one they present on the podium, quickly ironed on, etc. But then for top pro race, the competitor's team/sponsor/whomever provides the jersey themselves.

Not really.....leader's jersey's have their own sponsor, eg at the Tour it's sportswear giant, Nike. If a rider from a Vermarc or Agu Sport sponsored team leads a classement, they have to wear a Nike leader's jersey supplied by the SDTDF.

Smaller races is a different story.
ed073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-05, 02:08 AM   #9
kubla khan
mostly harmless
 
kubla khan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: san jose, ca
Bikes: 2004 Fuji Team
Posts: 333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been wondering about this too.

This past weekend when Chris Wherry won USPRO the jersey they gave him to wear on the podium apparently didn't fit so his team gave him a CUSTOM stars and bars jersey they had PRE-MADE. So Health-net had some stars and bars jerseys already made? did all the teams do this?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...?id=USPRO/DV27
kubla khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-05, 07:04 AM   #10
GV27
Light Makes Right
 
GV27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Green Mountain, Colorado
Bikes: Gianni Motta Criterium, Dean Hardtail
Posts: 1,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed073
Not really.....leader's jersey's have their own sponsor, eg at the Tour it's sportswear giant, Nike. If a rider from a Vermarc or Agu Sport sponsored team leads a classement, they have to wear a Nike leader's jersey supplied by the SDTDF.

Smaller races is a different story.
No - they do not have to wear a Nike jersey. They have to wear a jersey with a Nike logo. Just like a lot of guys in the peleton ride a bike with some other manufacturer's stickers on it.
GV27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-05, 04:22 PM   #11
ed073
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Melbourne
Bikes: Scapin EOS7 sloping, 10v Record, Ksyriums
Posts: 6,411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GV27
No - they do not have to wear a Nike jersey. They have to wear a jersey with a Nike logo.
Do you have proof of this?
ed073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 02:47 PM   #12
GV27
Light Makes Right
 
GV27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Green Mountain, Colorado
Bikes: Gianni Motta Criterium, Dean Hardtail
Posts: 1,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, I'd have to go looking for actual proof. But it is common practice in pro sports in general. I know for a fact that Lance keeps his own stock (he showed it to OLN last lear) but of course that's a bad example because Lance's sponsor is also the Tour jersey sponsor.

The best anecdotal evidence is time trial suits. In any particular tour you might see a guy ride in an all-yellow suit for one TT and one with black shorts in another. Or one with blue shorts.....You see the same thing in other races. Why would the organisors provide all these choices? Then there's the issue of fairness. I know Nike spends a lot of time and money on Lance's TT suits optimizing them for aerodynamics and cooling. Each panel is custom cut for Lance's body. I'd bet that Adidas does the same thing for Jan Ullrich. What are ya gonna do, just tell Jan to wear Lance's suit whether it fits or not? Or make the official yellow suits generic and throw away all that R&D if Lance wins the prologue and leads wire-to-wire? And what if Lance was in yellow for today's Dauphine TT? Again, just throw out the R&D and say "er....gimme a large!"?. And what the heck do you do if Jose Rujano is in yellow? Tell him to just wear a real baggy TT suit? Go down to NikeTown and see if they have a little kid's skinsuit in yellow?

Pro cycling is a pretty big sport. It only makes sense that the teams would have the option of providing their own apparel as long as it has all the sponsor's names in the right places. Nike doesn't really care if the riders actually wear their jerseys - just that the public thinks they wear them and think they like them. The last thing they want is for Ullrich to come in with a losing time saying "this F'n POS Nike suit flapped in the wind really bad, made me really hot and chafed the ***** out of my nuts"!

C
GV27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 02:54 PM   #13
Cromulent
I'm fine.
 
Cromulent's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport, IRO Rob Roy
Posts: 2,263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GV27
The last thing they want is for Ullrich to come in with a losing time saying "this F'n POS Nike suit flapped in the wind really bad, made me really hot and chafed the ***** out of my nuts"!

C
lol That would make a great print ad in Velonews, don't you think. Next to the sport drink ads maybe?
Cromulent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 04:17 PM   #14
ed073
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Melbourne
Bikes: Scapin EOS7 sloping, 10v Record, Ksyriums
Posts: 6,411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GV27
Oh, I'd have to go looking for actual proof. But it is common practice in pro sports in general. I know for a fact that Lance keeps his own stock (he showed it to OLN last lear) but of course that's a bad example because Lance's sponsor is also the Tour jersey sponsor.

The best anecdotal evidence is time trial suits. In any particular tour you might see a guy ride in an all-yellow suit for one TT and one with black shorts in another. Or one with blue shorts.....You see the same thing in other races. Why would the organisors provide all these choices? Then there's the issue of fairness. I know Nike spends a lot of time and money on Lance's TT suits optimizing them for aerodynamics and cooling. Each panel is custom cut for Lance's body. I'd bet that Adidas does the same thing for Jan Ullrich. What are ya gonna do, just tell Jan to wear Lance's suit whether it fits or not? Or make the official yellow suits generic and throw away all that R&D if Lance wins the prologue and leads wire-to-wire? And what if Lance was in yellow for today's Dauphine TT? Again, just throw out the R&D and say "er....gimme a large!"?. And what the heck do you do if Jose Rujano is in yellow? Tell him to just wear a real baggy TT suit? Go down to NikeTown and see if they have a little kid's skinsuit in yellow?

Pro cycling is a pretty big sport. It only makes sense that the teams would have the option of providing their own apparel as long as it has all the sponsor's names in the right places. Nike doesn't really care if the riders actually wear their jerseys - just that the public thinks they wear them and think they like them. The last thing they want is for Ullrich to come in with a losing time saying "this F'n POS Nike suit flapped in the wind really bad, made me really hot and chafed the ***** out of my nuts"!

C

Skinsuits are different to jerseys, which is what this thread was originally about. Of course suits are custom made for some riders. The jerseys supplied by Nike/ASO at the Tour are not. You can even see from photos on cyclingnews.com or grahamwatson.com that on hot days guys like McEwen/Virenque/Armstrong are wearing the paper-thin new Nike tops, designed to keep riders cooler.
ed073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:04 AM.