Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Captain Surly
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Tell me about the Belgian Mafia

    i've heard old roadies talk about the "belgian mafia" when describing riders in some of the races they did in europe...

    some of you guys have raced in belgium right? what's it all about?

  2. #2
    starting pistol means war YMCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    east coast
    My Bikes
    Cervelo R3
    Posts
    2,968
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh-oh. There are a few things we don't talk about in the slimy world of sport cycling.

    1- buying and selling of races
    2- performance enhancing tricks
    3- wheeling-dealing, money making mafias

    It's a beautiful sport, so don't go ruining it with questions of impropriety. Just sit back and enjoy.

  3. #3
    Lance Hater Laggard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    4,314
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I too turn a blind eye to doping and fixing of town crits. I'll admit that I firmly bury my head in the sand and just try and enjoy the racing.
    i may have overreacted

  4. #4
    Captain Surly
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YMCA
    Uh-oh. There are a few things we don't talk about in the slimy world of sport cycling.

    1- buying and selling of races
    2- performance enhancing tricks
    3- wheeling-dealing, money making mafias

    It's a beautiful sport, so don't go ruining it with questions of impropriety. Just sit back and enjoy.


    the story this guy was telling was that any time he got into a good break he'd be literally ridden off the road by these belgian dudes because they didn't want to share "their" prize money with someone who wasn't in the family...

  5. #5
    El Diablo 2Rodies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Austin Tx, Ex So Cal
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD8/Record 10s, Felt DA700 Chorus 10s,
    Posts
    2,752
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Laggard
    Yeah, I too turn a blind eye to doping and fixing of town crits. I'll admit that I firmly bury my head in the sand and just try and enjoy the racing.
    Don't forget about the "buying" of world championships! How many W/C have "bought" help of riders from other teams?

    I too just ignore the dirty little secrets of the pro peleton. The drugs and back room deals are part of the entertainment.

  6. #6
    starting pistol means war YMCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    east coast
    My Bikes
    Cervelo R3
    Posts
    2,968
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cs124


    the story this guy was telling was that any time he got into a good break he'd be literally ridden off the road by these belgian dudes because they didn't want to share "their" prize money with someone who wasn't in the family...
    He's not lying. West Flanders is the worst for that crap. Doesn't mean you can't do well, but certain races are definitely controlled by a few others. Are you going to race there? If you are, don't worry, it's not all as bad as your friend might have made it sound. If you've got the goods, respect will come.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    My Bikes
    Scapin EOS7 sloping, 10v Record, Ksyriums
    Posts
    6,411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -the chop
    -the joke
    -the split

    Go along with it and you'll be fine. Fight it as a newcomer and you'll find yourself in the bushes. YMCA is right....West Vlaanderen is the worst. Kortrijk, Ostend, Roselaere, De Panne....everyone knows everyone.
    Last edited by ed073; 02-16-06 at 02:36 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •