Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-04-06, 09:27 AM   #1
Cypress
Giving you the business.
Thread Starter
 
Cypress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Corvallis, Oregon
Bikes: Ridley Noah, Giant Trinity Advanced, Specialized Crux
Posts: 4,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Race to Replace....HOW?

I was in the shower this morning gazing upon my soaped tanned thighs and thought "hey, I could do that. It's just a damn circle". Then that got me to thinking, if I did win and earned a spot on the disco team for the national race, how would that work? Isn't it a USCF race? Wouldn't I need to be considered a Cat1/pro to race in it?

This is all speculation, but the real question is: How could anyone but a pro race on the disco team according to USA Cycling?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator
Dear Cypress,

You have received an infraction at Bike Forums.
Cypress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-06, 09:31 AM   #2
eskimo85
Senior Member
 
eskimo85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chicago
Bikes: giant comp2 tcr, giant xtc
Posts: 645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I believe this is how it works: You will be racing for a "pro" team, they have the spot and anyone they want can race for them.
eskimo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-06, 09:37 AM   #3
Cromulent
I'm fine.
 
Cromulent's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport, IRO Rob Roy
Posts: 2,263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's my thought: It's kind of like American Idol. Disco is probably always looking at new talent, this is a way to perhaps bring some of that talent to them. So if they do find someone young and talented out of the hundreds (or thousands) of people who show up, cool. They'll stick 'em on a development team.

And if not, then it's marketing. And it sounds like a fun, potentially crash-happy event.
Cromulent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-06, 12:07 PM   #4
Cromulent
I'm fine.
 
Cromulent's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport, IRO Rob Roy
Posts: 2,263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hm... I went to the website and it really seems that if you win the race, you get to ride as a member of Disco at the US championships. Wow.

Which brings me to a reality TV show idea I had: Take two dozen or so cyclists. Give them the equipment, the training, the support, and everything else they need to turn them into a real team. Then they race in the Classics, the Tour de Georgia, the Giro, and the Tour de France. Any takers? Discovery Channel? TLC? Bravo? OLN? Anyone?
Cromulent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-06, 12:14 PM   #5
timmhaan
more ape than man
 
timmhaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: nyc
Bikes:
Posts: 8,094
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromulent

Which brings me to a reality TV show idea I had: Take two dozen or so cyclists. Give them the equipment, the training, the support, and everything else they need to turn them into a real team. Then they race in the Classics, the Tour de Georgia, the Giro, and the Tour de France. Any takers? Discovery Channel? TLC? Bravo? OLN? Anyone?
good thought, but i'd be up in arms if i were on a team that missed an opportunity to race these races because a tv show wanted to get their guys in there. imagine moving up in all the cats, turning pro, winning races, getting selected for a team, training all year round for years, and then watch as a bunch of newbies get your spot.
timmhaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-06, 12:39 PM   #6
Cromulent
I'm fine.
 
Cromulent's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport, IRO Rob Roy
Posts: 2,263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmhaan
good thought, but i'd be up in arms if i were on a team that missed an opportunity to race these races because a tv show wanted to get their guys in there. imagine moving up in all the cats, turning pro, winning races, getting selected for a team, training all year round for years, and then watch as a bunch of newbies get your spot.
True, but they'd have to do all that too. It wouldn't just be "nine random guys get to ride in a grand tour". This would take a few years.

Another version might be take a dozen or so top bike racers from the US, start a brand new team, and take them to Europe, but I thought it would be cool to see the whole thing from the beginning.
Cromulent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-06, 12:39 PM   #7
Cypress
Giving you the business.
Thread Starter
 
Cypress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Corvallis, Oregon
Bikes: Ridley Noah, Giant Trinity Advanced, Specialized Crux
Posts: 4,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmhaan
moving up in all the cats, turning pro,

That's what I was wondering about... Say some cat4 guy gets lucky and wins this thing. How is he going to race in a PRO championship without the USCF waving the finger??
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator
Dear Cypress,

You have received an infraction at Bike Forums.
Cypress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-06, 12:42 PM   #8
timmhaan
more ape than man
 
timmhaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: nyc
Bikes:
Posts: 8,094
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromulent

Another version might be take a dozen or so top bike racers from the US, start a brand new team, and take them to Europe, but I thought it would be cool to see the whole thing from the beginning.
yeah, that would be interesting. sort of like the movie the hard road but carrying it further into the season.
timmhaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-06, 10:35 PM   #9
x43x
Powered by the XVX
 
x43x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Renton/Seattle
Bikes: 2011 Hampsten Gran Paradiso ti, 2007 Pedal Force RS
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe "riding for the team" means riding in the support car and handing out water
x43x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-06, 04:18 AM   #10
*new*guy
ambassador of good will
 
*new*guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NOVA
Bikes: many.
Posts: 2,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think that at this event the entire Discovery squad will be safely hidden behind 1 way glass having a big laugh.
*new*guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-06, 09:43 AM   #11
jbhowat
@ Checkmate Cycling
 
jbhowat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes: CAAD 8 - Ultegra
Posts: 1,622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A Cat 4 isn't going to win this. I'm sure there will be a **** ton of fast Cat 1's and Regional Pros who will be seriously, seriously trying to win this event. For those guys it is a chance in a million to get their name out there and likely get picked up by a bigger pro team (if not Disco, someone else0 is they perform well in USPro.

Cat 4's don't get lucky and win nation-level pro-1-2 races, which is what this will be like.
jbhowat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-06, 09:46 AM   #12
timmhaan
more ape than man
 
timmhaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: nyc
Bikes:
Posts: 8,094
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
i'm sure this has been asked before...but do we know what the format of the race is? laps, miles? it's on the racetrack, right?
timmhaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-06, 09:53 AM   #13
Pizza Man
Racing iS my Training
 
Pizza Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Francisco
Bikes: 07 Bianchi San Jose, 08 Tarmac SL2, 05 Cervelo P3
Posts: 1,263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhowat
A Cat 4 isn't going to win this. I'm sure there will be a **** ton of fast Cat 1's and Regional Pros who will be seriously, seriously trying to win this event. For those guys it is a chance in a million to get their name out there and likely get picked up by a bigger pro team (if not Disco, someone else0 is they perform well in USPro.

Cat 4's don't get lucky and win nation-level pro-1-2 races, which is what this will be like.
Though unlikely, it would not be impossible for a Cat 4 to win a race against Cat 1's.
Some guys coming from other backgrounds (mountain biking or running) can be extremely strong as a Cat 4 and just not have the races yet to be a Cat 1. I've seen several strong Cat 4 & 5 guys beat many 1's and 2's in those rare events when they get to race each other.

Even the best riders have to go through being Cat 5 & Cat 4.
Pizza Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-06, 10:02 AM   #14
merlinextraligh
pan y agua
 
merlinextraligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jacksonville
Bikes: Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Calfee Dragonfly Tandem
Posts: 29,160
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza Man
Though unlikely, it would not be impossible for a Cat 4 to win a race against Cat 1's.
Some guys coming from other backgrounds (mountain biking or running) can be extremely strong as a Cat 4 and just not have the races yet to be a Cat 1. I've seen several strong Cat 4 & 5 guys beat many 1's and 2's in those rare events when they get to race each other.

Even the best riders have to go through being Cat 5 & Cat 4.

A Cat 4 is not going to win this race. Back in the day, I had a team mate who was a strong Cat 2, with ambition to move up who got a wild card entry on a composite team into the West Virginia Classic, a six day stage race with teams like Motorolo (Armstrong won the race on his way to winning a $1,000,000 prize for winning 3 designated US races). My team mate barely finished the first day off the back, and dropped out on the first climb the second day. The difference between a Cat 2, and even a Division 3 pro is dramatic, and between that and a Cat 4, its several orders of magnitude.
merlinextraligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-06, 10:17 AM   #15
Cypress
Giving you the business.
Thread Starter
 
Cypress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Corvallis, Oregon
Bikes: Ridley Noah, Giant Trinity Advanced, Specialized Crux
Posts: 4,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
A Cat 4 is not going to win this race. Back in the day, I had a team mate who was a strong Cat 2, with ambition to move up who got a wild card entry on a composite team into the West Virginia Classic, a six day stage race with teams like Motorolo (Armstrong won the race on his way to winning a $1,000,000 prize for winning 3 designated US races). My team mate barely finished the first day off the back, and dropped out on the first climb the second day. The difference between a Cat 2, and even a Division 3 pro is dramatic, and between that and a Cat 4, its several orders of magnitude.

This is a long FLAT course. I imagine a strong cat3 guy could at least hang. The race sounds like it will be a crashfest due to it's public draw and open format.

Freak crash, one lucky guy...I've seen it happen to the best of everyone. Cipo had his wins taken away from him because of crashes, then some no-name guy with good bike handling wins.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator
Dear Cypress,

You have received an infraction at Bike Forums.
Cypress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-06, 01:24 PM   #16
DocRay
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromulent
Here's my thought: It's kind of like American Idol. Disco is probably always looking at new talent, this is a way to perhaps bring some of that talent to them. So if they do find someone young and talented out of the hundreds (or thousands) of people who show up, cool. They'll stick 'em on a development team.

And if not, then it's marketing. And it sounds like a fun, potentially crash-happy event.
Is is true that more Americans vote in "American Idol" than the US presidential elections?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-06, 01:30 PM   #17
Cromulent
I'm fine.
 
Cromulent's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport, IRO Rob Roy
Posts: 2,263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRay
Is is true that more Americans vote in "American Idol" than the US presidential elections?
I think that's true - or there's at least some truthiness to it. I've voted in four presidential elections and in two seasons of American Idol. Voting for an American Idol has always been less ethically painful.
Cromulent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-06, 02:44 PM   #18
Pizza Man
Racing iS my Training
 
Pizza Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Francisco
Bikes: 07 Bianchi San Jose, 08 Tarmac SL2, 05 Cervelo P3
Posts: 1,263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
A Cat 4 is not going to win this race. Back in the day, I had a team mate who was a strong Cat 2, with ambition to move up who got a wild card entry on a composite team into the West Virginia Classic, a six day stage race with teams like Motorolo (Armstrong won the race on his way to winning a $1,000,000 prize for winning 3 designated US races). My team mate barely finished the first day off the back, and dropped out on the first climb the second day. The difference between a Cat 2, and even a Division 3 pro is dramatic, and between that and a Cat 4, its several orders of magnitude.
You can not say that with 100% certainty. (Sure, 99.99%, but you never know if you'll find some gifted rider who just hasn't done many races yet)
Yes it is very very unlikely, but a person isn't Cat 4 because they're not as fast as the Cat 3's or Cat 2's, but because they haven't done enough races.

In general, Cat 1 is stronger than Cat 2, which is stronger than Cat 3, etc.

I've been riding for about 10 months. My first race as a Cat 5 was a timed hill climb. I had a faster time than the Pro/1/2 winner (I'm sure their race was more tactical), but I still had to go through Cat 5 and Cat 4 before I got to 3, and I'll have to do a few more races in Cat 3 before I move up to 2, that's just the way it works.

Just because a friend of yours was a Cat 2 and couldn't hang doesn't mean that any Cat 4 couldn't.
Pizza Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-06, 03:15 PM   #19
worker4youth
Vanned.
 
worker4youth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes: 2006 Motobecane Le Champ SL, 2006 Mercier Kilo TT, 2004 Gary Fisher Tassajara
Posts: 1,244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromulent
I think that's true - or there's at least some truthiness to it. I've voted in four presidential elections and in two seasons of American Idol. Voting for an American Idol has always been less ethically painful.
And easier, you can do it online, can't you?
worker4youth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:57 AM.