Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Out of Commission OC Roadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Felt FC, S-Works Roubaix, Epic Comp, Cyfac Proxidium
    Posts
    2,272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Can I Clamp Aero-Bars to CF Drop Bars??

    Hi All,
    I've got a 10 mile ITT next week. I was planning on riding my normal set-up, then I started pondering the idea of using some clip ons. My question is: is it safe to use clip-ons with CF drop bars? I thought I read somewhere that you shouldn't use them with the Easton CF bars, I don't know if that's just Easton legal talk, or if it's a general no-no with CF. My bars are Specialized S-Works, if that makes any difference. Thanks...
    If you don't have anything nice to say about anybody, then come sit next to me.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Snicklefritz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In the middle of horse country, in The Garden State
    Posts
    3,112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not a good idea to use clip-ons with CF bars. It's not just Easton legal talk, other manufacturers are saying this as well. I'm assuming you are referring to the Elkhorn TT? A bunch of other people from BF are going and the consensus seems to be that if it's only a week or so before the event, you're better off riding with your normal setup. It takes some time to get used to a new position - making big changes like this can actually make you slower. Just use your normal gear and have fun.

  3. #3
    Out of Commission OC Roadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Felt FC, S-Works Roubaix, Epic Comp, Cyfac Proxidium
    Posts
    2,272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snicklefritz
    It's not a good idea to use clip-ons with CF bars. It's not just Easton legal talk, other manufacturers are saying this as well. I'm assuming you are referring to the Elkhorn TT? A bunch of other people from BF are going and the consensus seems to be that if it's only a week or so before the event, you're better off riding with your normal setup. It takes some time to get used to a new position - making big changes like this can actually make you slower. Just use your normal gear and have fun.
    Thanks for the input, I'm actually referring to the Buckman Springs TT in San Diego County, part of a 3-Stage Omnium. I was thinking along the same lines, as far as dialing in a new position, gear etc. It's only 10 miles out-n-back with a big ring roller in the middle. I'lll probably stick to my original plan, riding my normal set-up and getting in a psuedo TT position, grasping the brake cables. Good luck at Elkhorn
    If you don't have anything nice to say about anybody, then come sit next to me.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Snicklefritz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In the middle of horse country, in The Garden State
    Posts
    3,112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Roadie
    Thanks for the input, I'm actually referring to the Buckman Springs TT in San Diego County, part of a 3-Stage Omnium. I was thinking along the same lines, as far as dialing in a new position, gear etc. It's only 10 miles out-n-back with a big ring roller in the middle. I'lll probably stick to my original plan, riding my normal set-up and getting in a psuedo TT position, grasping the brake cables. Good luck at Elkhorn
    I've also heard that holding the brake hoods (on the top) and holding your arms horizontal can help. I think it's a good idea to use aerobars from what I've heard but usually takes a few weeks to get used to them. A good aero position oftentimes isn't comfortable. Just look at Floyd's new TT setup!!!!

  5. #5
    Now Racer Ex Vinokurtov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,709
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ixne on the clip-ons on CF, unless the manufacturer says it's OK.

    Personally, I think if you could use them they would help, even if you didn't have much time on them.

    If you can borrow some deep wheels or a disk, and a helmet and booties, that wouldn't be a bad idea. Thing with an Omnium is that it's about placing vs. time. Something that can give you 5 seconds might be two or three places up in the standings, which can have a big impact on your GC.

    I wished I had my TT bike earlier this year at a stage race, might have moved me into the top five.

    Good luck, looking forward to the report.

    Hey Snick, you racing Nevada City?

  6. #6
    Out of Commission OC Roadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Felt FC, S-Works Roubaix, Epic Comp, Cyfac Proxidium
    Posts
    2,272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinokurtov
    Ixne on the clip-ons on CF, unless the manufacturer says it's OK.

    Personally, I think if you could use them they would help, even if you didn't have much time on them.

    If you can borrow some deep wheels or a disk, and a helmet and booties, that wouldn't be a bad idea. Thing with an Omnium is that it's about placing vs. time. Something that can give you 5 seconds might be two or three places up in the standings, which can have a big impact on your GC.

    I wished I had my TT bike earlier this year at a stage race, might have moved me into the top five.

    Good luck, looking forward to the report.

    Hey Snick, you racing Nevada City?
    Hey Vino,
    I've got booties, and my Reynolds Stratus wheels should be here in time to use (not super deep, but better than my 38mm AC 420's). I've read that taping over the helmet vents is a cheap alternative to a TT helmet (less drag from the vents). I'll be sure to report back, this is the last So Cal road race until a San Deigo stage race in Sept and then Everest Challenge. In the crits, I'm just pack filler, so this is my last chance for a while
    If you don't have anything nice to say about anybody, then come sit next to me.

  7. #7
    Now Racer Ex Vinokurtov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,709
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Roadie
    Hey Vino,
    I've got booties, and my Reynolds Stratus wheels should be here in time to use (not super deep, but better than my 38mm AC 420's). I've read that taping over the helmet vents is a cheap alternative to a TT helmet (less drag from the vents). I'll be sure to report back, this is the last So Cal road race until a San Deigo stage race in Sept and then Everest Challenge. In the crits, I'm just pack filler, so this is my last chance for a while
    You'll love the Stratus. The helmet tape helps. As for being pack filler that's why you need a team. Finished 32nd in that field sprint? Yeah, I was working for the team all day

    North Park Classic? Any details on classes and the race itself? Didn't find anything online in a quick search. Might be worth coming down for...

  8. #8
    Out of Commission OC Roadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Felt FC, S-Works Roubaix, Epic Comp, Cyfac Proxidium
    Posts
    2,272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinokurtov
    You'll love the Stratus. The helmet tape helps. As for being pack filler that's why you need a team. Finished 32nd in that field sprint? Yeah, I was working for the team all day

    North Park Classic? Any details on classes and the race itself? Didn't find anything online in a quick search. Might be worth coming down for...
    I like that team excuse . I don't know anything about the North Park Classic yet, I did the same search, and came up with nothin'. I'll let you know if I hear anything more about it, I think it may be new this year, I don't recall seeing this on last year's calendar. It's 3 weeks before Everest Challenge, the timing works good, it would be nice to get a road race in that late in the season.
    If you don't have anything nice to say about anybody, then come sit next to me.

  9. #9
    randomness inc. HDTVKSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    988
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinokurtov
    The helmet tape helps. you ...
    you can also use a swimming cap if you can find one big enough....
    You don't need proof when you have instinct.
    Im on the Floyd Landis Jack Daniels training program.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Snicklefritz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In the middle of horse country, in The Garden State
    Posts
    3,112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinokurtov
    Ixne on the clip-ons on CF, unless the manufacturer says it's OK.

    Personally, I think if you could use them they would help, even if you didn't have much time on them.

    If you can borrow some deep wheels or a disk, and a helmet and booties, that wouldn't be a bad idea. Thing with an Omnium is that it's about placing vs. time. Something that can give you 5 seconds might be two or three places up in the standings, which can have a big impact on your GC.

    I wished I had my TT bike earlier this year at a stage race, might have moved me into the top five.

    Good luck, looking forward to the report.

    Hey Snick, you racing Nevada City?

    Didn't see this until now. Not doing Nevada City. I might wait for my second year of racing before I do that gnarly downhill left turn!!!! Besides I need to save all my energy for Elkhorn. Part of me doesn't want to do it, but it would be good for hard training even if I didn't end up placing well.

  11. #11
    Now Racer Ex Vinokurtov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,709
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snicklefritz
    Didn't see this until now. Not doing Nevada City. I might wait for my second year of racing before I do that gnarly downhill left turn!!!! Besides I need to save all my energy for Elkhorn. Part of me doesn't want to do it, but it would be good for hard training even if I didn't end up placing well.
    Good luck at Elkhorn. Nevada City was brutal (see thread).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •