Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Cat WTF
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Your cycling team. How is it?

    What are the things you like about your team (if you are on one)? What things would you like to improve?


    The team I am currently on has roughly 60 members. That can be good and bad. Some days you show up to a race and someone you've never met before has the same jersey as you! If you're lucky, that guy will work with the rest of you. We've had a boat load of wins this year, but a lot of it has to do with flooding the field and having one or two really good guys. Sometimes you get your own teammates chasing you down as well.

    The team has an open membership, meaning anyone can join and to stay on the team there is a minimum amount you have to race. This worked out great as I had no race experience prior to joining them.

  2. #2
    Announcer EventServices's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In the drops.
    My Bikes
    Too many and not enough
    Posts
    4,998
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I see it, that's more of a CLUB, than a TEAM.

    My team is 15 riders. I know their names as well as their strengths and weaknesses.
    We have a good reputation for being strong team riders, but also friendly and able to pay for a round of beers when appropriate.
    We don't necessarily travel together to and from races, and we don't really need to meet prior to the start of a race to discuss things. We all know what our role is when the *** goes off. It's often magical in that regard.

    That's a team.

    To get on our team, we have to have an opening. We need to see how you race and train. We have to vote to invite a new member in. Our sponsors have been with us a long time. We throw them a big party every November.

  3. #3
    Chelsea FC
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll tell you next week when I join mine.

  4. #4
    Quarq shill cslone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.
    Posts
    3,962
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, but out of those 60, only 20 or so race regularly and the one or two that show up occasionally, generally get spit off the back and aren't see again for a while.

    We used to have a Race team and a Club team and had well over 100 riders. The race team had to have 7 or 10 days of racing per year and some other little criteria. The club team was a race at will kinda thing. The club team was disbanded last year in an effort to slide towards more of a racing team. We're not turning anyone away becasue they don't post decent results, but we have a very solid base of 20 or so riders that race every weekend. So far, we have 179 podiums in 06.
    FS: Fuji SL1 frameset, 55.5cm toptube, excellent condition.

  5. #5
    Theodore Roosevelt's idol TheKillerPenguin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Vagabond
    My Bikes
    Affirmative
    Posts
    9,164
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The team's fun for training rides, but other than that it's mostly non-existant. I'd say all together there are probably no more than 10 of us total, with some other club riders that wear the jersey. It's primarily a mountain biking team, only 2 of us are serious rodies and we're in different categories...which sucks. I'm on a team but I never have any teammates to race with. Most of them are Cat5 fitness or less, so even if they ever did get off the dirt trails and hop into a road race they'd be off the back pretty quick.

    That sounds pretty negative, but I really do enjoy it. There's a good amount of comraderie between all of us even if we don't race together. Group rides are a total blast and are great for training, and because we're always riding together we know how to push each other to go harder. We have a sort of junior development program where the senior riders take turns bringing the younger riders out on rides. Tomorrow night I get to take em out on a road ride. It's cool being able to be a part of something like that.

    Other positive points- we're a small team with not much road racing experience, yet we've sent one guy pro on the road, another that left the team and could go pro if he wanted, and another that is still on the team that should be pretty close to pro if not already a pro in a couple of years. I'll be moving up the ranks too pretty soon. We also have a pro downhiller and a pro mountain biker....so we must be doing something right!

    Oh, and I also get a discount at the LBS

    Next year I'll be in a higher category and I'll be able to race with the other roadie a good amount. I'll finally get to work with a partner in a race!
    Is trick from science!

  6. #6
    Racing iS my Training Pizza Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Francisco
    My Bikes
    07 Bianchi San Jose, 08 Tarmac SL2, 05 Cervelo P3
    Posts
    1,263
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My team has about 60 guys, but only about 20 have raced at least once this year. Most of the guys are 4's & 5's. I had fun racing with them at the beginning of the year, and then did a few races with our Cat 3 guys, but they haven't been showing up at any races lately, so I've been racing alone. I just upgraded to Cat 2 and we don't have anyone else racing in Cat 2.
    We don't get anything free or any entry fee reimbursement.
    There are several teams in this area that have srtong Cat 1/2 riders, and most of these teams get their entry fees reimbursed, and probably get better deals on bike stuff than my team, so I'll probably be jumping ship next season.

  7. #7
    RacingBear UmneyDurak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    8,188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not currenlty on any team, but when I was really liked when more seasoned riders helped new riders. Explained drafting, pace line, rotating pace line. Spring cam that went over those things, plus how to do a feed zone, was really nice too.
    I see hills.... Bring them on!!!
    Stay calm and bring a towel.

  8. #8
    Wher'd u Get That Jacket? flythebike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Somewhere in the Tubes
    My Bikes
    Calfee Dragonfly, Lemond Poprad, Airborne Manhatten Project, Calfee Luna Fixie
    Posts
    1,317
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Things I dislike come to mind first - in lower cats people will only ride for themselves. Not a surprise that nobody there is getting any results.

    Higher cats lots of sacrifices are made and guess what, the team is getting huge results.

    Coincidence?
    WeBlog: http://flythebike.blogspot.com
    "Then know, that I have little wealth to lose. A man I am, crossed with adversity; My riches are these poor habiliments, Of which if you should here disfurnish me, You take the sum and substance that I have." Shakespeare: The Two Gentlemen of Verona
    Calfee Dragonfly Record, Calfee Luna Fixie T/A, Level, Campy Cervelo P3SL Campy, Lemond Poprad Campy, Fisher X-Calibur

  9. #9
    Dirt-riding heretic DrPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Gig Harbor, WA
    My Bikes
    Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9
    Posts
    17,416
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flythebike
    Things I dislike come to mind first - in lower cats people will only ride for themselves. Not a surprise that nobody there is getting any results.

    Higher cats lots of sacrifices are made and guess what, the team is getting huge results.

    Coincidence?
    That's why I haven't bothered joining a team this season. Seems kinda pointless in the 4/5's--other than matching jerseys, I don't see much teamwork. If I'm on my own anyway, I'll just save myself the expense of membership dues and more jerseys.
    "Unless he was racing there was no way he could match my speed."

  10. #10
    Senior Member sverrefehn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Bianchi FG Lite, Cervelo R3
    Posts
    496
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our team is very much like what ES describes. We have 10 guys and are a pretty tight-nit group. Currently, 7 are Cat 3's and three of us are Cat 4's who are working hard to join the rest of our teammates. We do a lot together with the training rides and road trips to races and have a training camp in the Smokey Mountains in February each year. New guys are added to the team by a vote only after they've spent a lot of time with us riding so we can ascertain if they are a good fit. So ultimately, it's built on relationships. It's harder to grow a team this way, but we all get along and work really well together and are willing to sacrifice for others in a race.

    I know a lot of the guys that cslone is referring to and that core goup that he mentions also seems pretty tight. Some of those guys have been joining one of our weekly rides and I've really enjoyed getting to know them better. We've also worked together in races. There are some really cool people on that team.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I joined my club becuase I got a nice jersey, shorts and socks for 35 bucks. theres not really any teamwork, just an understanding that I wont be chased down by them if I attack. I suppose thats better than nothing.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Trek 2000
    Posts
    327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EventServices
    As I see it, that's more of a CLUB, than a TEAM.

    My team is 15 riders. I know their names as well as their strengths and weaknesses.
    We have a good reputation for being strong team riders, but also friendly and able to pay for a round of beers when appropriate.
    We don't necessarily travel together to and from races, and we don't really need to meet prior to the start of a race to discuss things. We all know what our role is when the *** goes off. It's often magical in that regard.

    That's a team.

    To get on our team, we have to have an opening. We need to see how you race and train. We have to vote to invite a new member in. Our sponsors have been with us a long time. We throw them a big party every November.

    I'd be kind of interested in getting on a team. What team is it that you belong to? What kind of things do you guys look for in a new team member? I'm very new to racing so that might put me out to begin with. Let me know. I'm interested. Oh, I'm from Lansing by the way.

  13. #13
    Cat WTF
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sverrefehn
    Our team is very much like what ES describes. We have 10 guys and are a pretty tight-nit group. Currently, 7 are Cat 3's and three of us are Cat 4's who are working hard to join the rest of our teammates. We do a lot together with the training rides and road trips to races and have a training camp in the Smokey Mountains in February each year. New guys are added to the team by a vote only after they've spent a lot of time with us riding so we can ascertain if they are a good fit. So ultimately, it's built on relationships. It's harder to grow a team this way, but we all get along and work really well together and are willing to sacrifice for others in a race.

    I know a lot of the guys that cslone is referring to and that core goup that he mentions also seems pretty tight. Some of those guys have been joining one of our weekly rides and I've really enjoyed getting to know them better. We've also worked together in races. There are some really cool people on that team.


    Everyone I've met and raced with on your team is pretty cool. When I make the move to Cinci, I hope to ride with you guys during the week.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •