Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-08-06, 10:28 PM   #1
yellowjeep
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
yellowjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lawrence
Bikes:
Posts: 3,270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bill Maher is a click

Bill Maher is a click. that is all.

sorry for the typo in the tiltle
yellowjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-06, 10:37 PM   #2
khuon
DEADBEEF
 
khuon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA
Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte
Posts: 12,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unless someone can make a credible link of this thread to Road Bike Racing, I'm going to either move it or remove it altogether.
__________________
1999 K2 OzM 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte
"Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send." -- Jon Postel, RFC1122
khuon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-06, 10:39 PM   #3
Chucklehead
Whateverthehell
 
Chucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: U.S.S.A.
Bikes: '06 Blue Competition RC5AL w/ritchey pro fork, spinergy stealth PBO, etc.
Posts: 7,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuon
Unless someone can make a credible link of this thread to Road Bike Racing, I'm going to either move it or remove it altogether.
bill maher(a dick either way you look at it) must have made a negative comment about floyd landis, who is a road bike racer.
__________________
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - Leonardo daVinci
Chucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-06, 10:40 PM   #4
khuon
DEADBEEF
 
khuon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA
Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte
Posts: 12,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog hair
bill maher(a dick either way you look at it) must have made a negative comment about floyd landis, who is a road bike racer.
Better. I just saw the post in the Tour de France forum concerning it.
__________________
1999 K2 OzM 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte
"Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send." -- Jon Postel, RFC1122
khuon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-06, 10:43 PM   #5
yellowjeep
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
yellowjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lawrence
Bikes:
Posts: 3,270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry, impulse post. He ask why people were debating about a sport that nobody gave a **** about, ipso facto, he is a dick (IMHO).
yellowjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-06, 10:54 PM   #6
khuon
DEADBEEF
 
khuon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA
Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte
Posts: 12,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I fixed the thread title lest someone named Bill Mar become offended.
__________________
1999 K2 OzM 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte
"Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send." -- Jon Postel, RFC1122
khuon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-06, 10:57 PM   #7
yellowjeep
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
yellowjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lawrence
Bikes:
Posts: 3,270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you, I was just going to ask.
yellowjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 06:19 AM   #8
roadwarrior
Senior Member
 
roadwarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Bike Business!!!
Bikes: Cannondale Super Six High Mod, Evo, Sram Red, CAAD9 Rival
Posts: 10,499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjeep
Bill Maher is a dick. that is all.

sorry for the typo in the tiltle
the sad part is, he thinks he's funny.

the sadder part is that there are people that think he's funny.
roadwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 07:25 AM   #9
RockyMtnMerlin
Senior Member
 
RockyMtnMerlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Laramie Wyoming
Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
Posts: 2,970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
the sad part is, he thinks he's funny.

the sadder part is that there are people that think he's funny.
I saw him live in Denver. He said a couple of funny things but by and large he is not funny. His satire is way over the top in live performances. He even uses an outline from a notebook now so he won't forget anyting. Take a look at him and you will see why he says racing is not sport.
RockyMtnMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 07:39 AM   #10
Cromulent
I'm fine.
 
Cromulent's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport, IRO Rob Roy
Posts: 2,263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
He didn't say it wasn't a sport. He said it was a sport nobody gives a s**t about. Not exactly true, but it has some truthiness in it.

I thought it was a hilarious line considering the (soon to not be) TdF champion was sitting next to him. It would have been even funnier if Lance was the guest.
Cromulent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 08:03 AM   #11
Tennessee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"He didn't say it wasn't a sport. He said it was a sport nobody gives a s**t about."

I didn't hear Bill Maher's comments. But if that is all he said, then there are a ton of American sport's writers and commentators who are d!@k's. I have heard that same comment on just about every nationwide sports stations since the Landis doping scandal began.

I too hate to hear these type comments, but it is just the reality of living in the U.S. Although we all love the sport of cycling it is not a mainstream sport. Go back 10 years and these same sport shows were laughing at and making fun of Nascar. Now it has become more of a mainstream sport and these guys wouldn't dare to make similar comments because of the backlash they would receive. I keep hoping and wishing that the sport could make a push to be more popular here in the states, and with Lance and all he accomplished it, arguably, was on it's way. Now with this Landis deal it has took a huge hit and probably will never come back to it's status during Lance's domination.

Sad but true.
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 08:11 AM   #12
msheron
I-M-D bell curve of bikn'
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NC mountains
Bikes: 06' Jamis Eclipse in the making.
Posts: 2,926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are too sensitive of a society. I like being called a "Dick". At least all know I have one if called one! But I am a little less.....no alot less offended by words. When have words became so strong that no one can say what is on their mind?

A Cat. 5 tornado has less power now days than words. I will never understand!
__________________
Ego Campana Inflectum of Circuitous
msheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 08:14 AM   #13
Namenda
.
 
Namenda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: "The Woo", MA
Bikes:
Posts: 4,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Strangely enough, with the proper back-lighting, he does somewhat resemble that remark. Must be that ridiculous new hairstyle he's sporting.
Namenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 08:32 AM   #14
Cromulent
I'm fine.
 
Cromulent's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport, IRO Rob Roy
Posts: 2,263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone think that Floyd's troubles might actually be good for American cycling?

I think that if people believe you have to take performance enhancing drugs to win, it must really be hard. There's enough, "cycling is not a sport, anyone can ride a bike" crap out there. And Lance came back from cancer, and if you can come back from cancer and win the TdF seven times, cycling must be pretty easy. I'm not saying that's the case, I'm saying that might be the perception. Lance made it look easy.

But Floyd made it look hard. If cycling isn't a sport, why should you have to dope to win? But if you have to dope, it must be tough and therefore have some value as a sport. If Floyd had not tested positive, his story would have gone away as 'another great American cyclist showing American dominance in a European sport.' Of course this is decidedly not the case, but most people don't bother to understand cycling.

But if Floyd had to cheat, to do something to give him an edge, then it must be a tough sport. I think people can identify with that. There are still plenty of people who cheer for Barry Bonds when he hits a home run.

In the long run, Floyd's problems may be better for cycling than all of Lance's wins. Not in terms of bike sales, but in terms of audience and people who want to get in the sport. Just a theory.
Cromulent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 08:41 AM   #15
flythebike
Wher'd u Get That Jacket?
 
flythebike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Somewhere in the Tubes
Bikes: Calfee Dragonfly, Lemond Poprad, Airborne Manhatten Project, Calfee Luna Fixie
Posts: 1,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you think mainstream America actually sits down and watches the Tour de France? Just look at OLN's ratings this year and you will see the answer is a resounding no. There is no ball to follow, so they don't understand it. It is surprising that NASCAR is so popular, given that there is no ball, but the car at the head of the oval amounts to the same thing.

The sprints in the last 10 seconds of that stages - Mahr noted that people watch those (on highlights) and I think he is right about that.

As regards his comments - truth hurts. The fact is nobody does care about watching it - but they do care who wins. Especially if it is an American, it makes them (the American Public) happy and proud.

Probably a fairly tense situation and his joke lightened the mood - he did his job. Don't have such a thin skin!
flythebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 08:42 AM   #16
flythebike
Wher'd u Get That Jacket?
 
flythebike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Somewhere in the Tubes
Bikes: Calfee Dragonfly, Lemond Poprad, Airborne Manhatten Project, Calfee Luna Fixie
Posts: 1,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromulent
Anyone think that Floyd's troubles might actually be good for American cycling?

I think that if people believe you have to take performance enhancing drugs to win, it must really be hard. There's enough, "cycling is not a sport, anyone can ride a bike" crap out there. And Lance came back from cancer, and if you can come back from cancer and win the TdF seven times, cycling must be pretty easy. I'm not saying that's the case, I'm saying that might be the perception. Lance made it look easy.

But Floyd made it look hard. If cycling isn't a sport, why should you have to dope to win? But if you have to dope, it must be tough and therefore have some value as a sport. If Floyd had not tested positive, his story would have gone away as 'another great American cyclist showing American dominance in a European sport.' Of course this is decidedly not the case, but most people don't bother to understand cycling.

But if Floyd had to cheat, to do something to give him an edge, then it must be a tough sport. I think people can identify with that. There are still plenty of people who cheer for Barry Bonds when he hits a home run.

In the long run, Floyd's problems may be better for cycling than all of Lance's wins. Not in terms of bike sales, but in terms of audience and people who want to get in the sport. Just a theory.
NExt time I get some lemons, I'm giving them to you!
flythebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 10:47 AM   #17
DocRay
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Maher is hilarious, he says things that the red states don't like to hear. People who don't find him funny don't get it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 11:20 AM   #18
cat4ever
Cat WTF
 
Join Date: May 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, you guys are just figuring out that he is a jerk now? Old news.
cat4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 11:54 AM   #19
RockyMtnMerlin
Senior Member
 
RockyMtnMerlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Laramie Wyoming
Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
Posts: 2,970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRay
Maher is hilarious, he says things that the red states don't like to hear. People who don't find him funny don't get it.
I am a dyed in the wool progressive (even though I live in a VERY republican state). If you have ever seen him live, nearly all of his act is intended to see how outrageous he can be and toward whom he can hurl the biggest insult. Much of the "act" is totally offensive.

Last edited by RockyMtnMerlin; 08-09-06 at 01:12 PM.
RockyMtnMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 11:59 AM   #20
DocRay
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin
I am a dyed in the wool progressive (even though I live in a VERY republican state). If you have ever seen him live, nearly all of his act is intended to see how outrageous he can be and toward whom he can hurl the biggest insult. Must of the "act" is totally offensive.
Not at all like Rush Limbaugh, the hero of intellectual understatement and balanced truth in journalism.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 12:33 PM   #21
shakeNbake
Mooninite
 
shakeNbake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South of Heaven
Bikes: $53 Walmart Special
Posts: 3,187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm more impressed that Landis didn't flip out. Imagine Lance

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin
He said a couple of funny things but by and large he is not funny.
+1

A satire/sarcasm here and there makes a funny performance. But if that's your whole bit, meh.
shakeNbake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 12:56 PM   #22
webist
Huachuca Rider
 
webist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 4,275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRay
Not at all like Rush Limbaugh, the hero of intellectual understatement and balanced truth in journalism.
I think both Maher and Limbaugh are aware they are actually entertainers rather than serious commentators. Indeed their actual politics may be reflected in the way they express themselves. I suspect though that they would be equally adept at lampooning from the other political perspective as well.
__________________
Just Peddlin' Around
webist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 01:11 PM   #23
RockyMtnMerlin
Senior Member
 
RockyMtnMerlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Laramie Wyoming
Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
Posts: 2,970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by webist
I think both Maher and Limbaugh are aware they are actually entertainers rather than serious commentators. Indeed their actual politics may be reflected in the way they express themselves. I suspect though that they would be equally adept at lampooning from the other political perspective as well.
Good point.
RockyMtnMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 01:32 PM   #24
Chucklehead
Whateverthehell
 
Chucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: U.S.S.A.
Bikes: '06 Blue Competition RC5AL w/ritchey pro fork, spinergy stealth PBO, etc.
Posts: 7,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by webist
I think both Maher and Limbaugh are aware they are actually entertainers rather than serious commentators. Indeed their actual politics may be reflected in the way they express themselves. I suspect though that they would be equally adept at lampooning from the other political perspective as well.
you can't really reason with DocRay in regards to anything american. this is someone who thinks everyone who lives in a "red state" worships rush limbaugh and carries an assault rifle.
__________________
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - Leonardo daVinci
Chucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 02:04 PM   #25
DocRay
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog hair
you can't really reason with DocRay in regards to anything american. this is someone who thinks everyone who lives in a "red state" worships rush limbaugh and carries an assault rifle.
Nah, only like 80%. Or at least enough to vote Rebuplicans in, twice.

"If you take 17 million people in Texas and multiply that by about three,
you've probably got that many guns,"

http://www.chron.com/content/chronic...part3/pro.html
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:17 AM.