Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
  1. #1
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,236
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    One race one wreck.

    Did the training race in Alachua today for my first race of the season. Road the B race (4's and 5's). Large pack about 75 riders. Starting the 4th lap, the pack comes out of the last turn rolling along at a good clip,, up a little incline,and just the dynamics of the race are such that the pack slows way down, and a narrow line becomes 5-6 wide across the road. At this point a couple of guys overlap wheels, bunch of people slam on brakes,and 5 guys stack it up right in front of me. I have absolutely no where to go, with the 5 basically forming a semi circle around me. So I t bone the 2 on the ground in front of me, and roll over them, (as in handle over spout)


    Fortunately I pop up basically unijured except for some busted knuckes and rejoin the race. Amazing thing is my new bike does not have a single scratch. Put me at the back of the pack and never really threatend after that, but had a good training ride and finished witht the pack.

    A few observations:

    1) it was really nice day, end of Janury and low 70's, got a good workout so I really can't complain.

    2) it helps to practice falling. I tucked and rolled, kept my hands on the bars, and escaped with a couple of busted knuckles and a scrape on my forearm. Had I stuck my hand out, very likely a broken collar bone.

    3) I'm frigging lucky. Not a scratch on the new bike. Actually as I'm rolling over the pile of bikes, I'm thinking oh **** my new bike. I'm still clipped to one pedal, and I extend my leg to make sure none of the others coming into the pile behind me run over my bike.

    Not only the bike, but I almost always wear a rather expensive watch. Its waterproof and I just never take it off. This morning I just forgot to put it on. Based on the scrape on my forearm very good chance the watch would have taken the brunt.

    4) this is why you should always wear gloves.
    Last edited by merlinextraligh; 01-27-07 at 09:02 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member zimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,040
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad to hear you survived unscathed.

    In my 4/5 race today there were no crashes at all which was pretty cool. The 3/4 race had several.

    --Steve

  3. #3
    Aut Vincere Aut Mori Snuffleupagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    My Bikes
    Irish Cycles Tir na Nog, Jack Kane Team Racing, Fuji Aloha 1.0, GT Karakoram, Motobecane Fly Team
    Posts
    4,166
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch. Going down is never fun. Good on ya for getting right back in it though man.

  4. #4
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,236
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The stupid thing was that one corner was slightly downhill, off camber, with a little sand in it, the obvious place to worry about.

    The wreck happens in a slight uphill section with 2 wide lanes of road and dead freaking straight.
    , and at a time the pace is relaxing.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Duke of Kent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    My Bikes
    Focus Raven 29er, Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    Posts
    4,568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
    The stupid thing was that one corner was slightly downhill, off camber, with a little sand in it, the obvious place to worry about.

    The wreck happens in a slight uphill section with 2 wide lanes of road and dead freaking straight.
    , and at a time the pace is relaxing.
    Well that's exactly why it happened. The guys behind the front runners ran up the back of the leaders, and had to slow down, the guys behind them had to slow down even quicker, and it was more than likely a chain reaction type thing. The slope of a short/slight hill will almost always slow the guys in the front more than the guys behind them, who are in the draft.
    "If a non personal post makes you feel as if you've been attacked, maybe the problem IS you."

  6. #6
    shut up and ride
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    noho
    My Bikes
    supersix hi-mod,burley duet tandem,woodrup track,cannondale cross,specialized road
    Posts
    1,942
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    did you catch the field after the crash or did you get a free lap? usually after a crash the pack always seems to attack, hoping to get away the riders trapped behind the crash.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,616
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, look at the bright side...statistically, the average cyclist crashes every 3000miles, so....

    ...you're good 'till about June or July before your next one!

    Glad you're o.k. In our first training crit of the year last year, one of my teammates went down in a mass pile-up. Broke three ribs and punctured his lung. Basically ended his season right then and there.

    Bob

  8. #8
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,236
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Kent
    Well that's exactly why it happened. The guys behind the front runners ran up the back of the leaders, and had to slow down, the guys behind them had to slow down even quicker, and it was more than likely a chain reaction type thing. The slope of a short/slight hill will almost always slow the guys in the front more than the guys behind them, who are in the draft.
    True, but without nervous overeaction of slamming on brakes, it shouldn't be a problem, particularly when the course is 2 wide lanes wide.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,085
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zimbo
    I'm glad to hear you survived unscathed.

    In my 4/5 race today there were no crashes at all which was pretty cool. The 3/4 race had several.

    --Steve
    Did you race the wake motor speed way crit?

  10. #10
    old & slow Snap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Fleming Island, FL
    Posts
    269
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was right in the middle of all that. The guy that went down was in front of me and I got through before the pileup. No attack after the crash, the pack just rolled away. I don't think anyone got hurt too bad and it was a good day to race.

    Andy

  11. #11
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,335
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zimbo
    I'm glad to hear you survived unscathed.
    +1

    but i'm wondering what in the hell you were thinking of when you entered a 4/5 crit (if that was what it was) on such a fancy bike.

  12. #12
    Dirt-riding heretic DrPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Gig Harbor, WA
    My Bikes
    Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9
    Posts
    17,416
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    merlin--glad you came out OK. Hardly a good way to start the season.
    "Unless he was racing there was no way he could match my speed."

  13. #13
    Senior Member zimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,040
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by recneps
    Did you race the wake motor speed way crit?
    Yes. See my other thread in the racing subforum.

    --Steve

  14. #14
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,236
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zzzwillzzz
    did you catch the field after the crash or did you get a free lap? usually after a crash the pack always seems to attack, hoping to get away the riders trapped behind the crash.
    I got a free lap. I popped right back up and thought about chasing, and I think I could have caught on, but at my current fitness level I wasn't sure I wouldn't blow trying.

  15. #15
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    237
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botto
    +1

    but i'm wondering what in the hell you were thinking of when you entered a 4/5 crit (if that was what it was) on such a fancy bike.
    First it's called a racing bike for a reason. Second, wasn't he riding a Giant?

  16. #16
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,236
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botto
    +1

    but i'm wondering what in the hell you were thinking of when you entered a 4/5 crit (if that was what it was) on such a fancy bike.
    Well, I bought the bike to race it. And when there's no Master's race, that's my category.

    Purely economic terms, relatively cheap Al frame would make a lot more sense, but I can afford a nicer bike and I like it.

  17. #17
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,335
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jit5
    Second, wasn't he riding a Giant?
    WTF does that mean?

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,378
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear you're relatively unscathed and that your equipment came out aces. From reading your race report I cant tell where you were positioned in the pack, but it sounds as though you were pretty far back. A big lesson you can take away from your experience, IMO, is get near the front of the race early, at the start whistle, and stay there! Easier said than done, but I try to stay in position 5-ish, especially in crits. Road races, top 10-ish, but since they're longer I tend to drift more. This isnt breaking news or anything, but getting to the front makes it safer, smoother, and easier as well as putting you in position to dictate or react to the race more attentively. This time of year, not having ridden in a race pack for a few months, I like to do some "training series" races with objective #1 to be positioning.

  19. #19
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,335
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
    Well, I bought the bike to race it. And when there's no Master's race, that's my category.

    Purely economic terms, relatively cheap Al frame would make a lot more sense, but I can afford a nicer bike and I like it.
    fair enough.

  20. #20
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,236
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MDcatV
    Glad to hear you're relatively unscathed and that your equipment came out aces. From reading your race report I cant tell where you were positioned in the pack, but it sounds as though you were pretty far back. A big lesson you can take away from your experience, IMO, is get near the front of the race early, at the start whistle, and stay there! Easier said than done, but I try to stay in position 5-ish, especially in crits. Road races, top 10-ish, but since they're longer I tend to drift more. This isnt breaking news or anything, but getting to the front makes it safer, smoother, and easier as well as putting you in position to dictate or react to the race more attentively. This time of year, not having ridden in a race pack for a few months, I like to do some "training series" races with objective #1 to be positioning.
    About 30th in a 75 person pack. I know your point, and its probably even more true in a Cat 4/5 race.

  21. #21
    Dirt-riding heretic DrPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Gig Harbor, WA
    My Bikes
    Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9
    Posts
    17,416
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
    About 30th in a 75 person pack. I know your point, and its probably even more true in a Cat 4/5 race.
    I did a 4/5 RR last year that started out flat and fast, then hit some short, steep rollers. I was about mid-pack at that point... The pack slowed on the first roller and one of the Cat 5's went plowing up the back of the pack and took out 10-15 guys.

    I like the front... It's safe(r).
    "Unless he was racing there was no way he could match my speed."

  22. #22
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,335
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPete
    I did a 4/5 RR last year that started out flat and fast, then hit some short, steep rollers. I was about mid-pack at that point... The pack slowed on the first roller and one of the Cat 5's went plowing up the back of the pack and took out 10-15 guys.

    I like the front... It's safe(r).
    I think I might have some video of that incident, right here: 'ay ya... oh no'

  23. #23
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    237
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botto
    WTF does that mean?
    Just what it sounds like.

    Just a Giant. I will say that it is still a step up from a Trek.

  24. #24
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,236
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, them's there's fightin words . I'll grant you that it doesn't have the cache of some Italian brands. However, its good enough for Jan to ride, and Giant in fact makes a number of those fancy Italian bikes.

    It may be just a Giant, but it's a 15 pound, extremely stiff, $6,000 Gaint.

  25. #25
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    237
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No slight intended.

    I have a TCR Comp built up as my rain/beater bike.

    But when the time came to for upgrading to a new bike Giant wasn't on my list.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •