Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Senior Member Rouleur!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn
    My Bikes
    Late 80's Pinarello Treviso Track w/ campy pista record
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Lefevere & Doping... Something's fishy

    Does anyone else think it's interesting that a little over a month after the IPCT votes to exlude Discovery Channel. Allegations of systematic doping against the presider of the IPCT and Quick Step manager, Patrick Lefevere, are made in the european sporting press?

    Seems a bit convenient don't you think?

    I know its just cycling and conspiracy theories seem outlandish, but its only cycling to the guys on the bikes to everyone else involved its a business and money talks... So how crazy is it to assume that the threat of Lefevere's outspokeness poses to Discovery (and others that have taken on or are willing to take on banned or implicated riders) would make him a target for character assasination or at worst a set up...

    I don't mean to hate on discovery. I was a huge Basso fan and still am to an extent, although what he did to Riis seems kind wrong (Refusing DNA testing and leaving CSC only to agree to the possibility of future DNA tests with Discovery). Seems like he took an easy out of his contract with CSC for a possibly bigger contact with Disco.

    I digress though...

  2. #2
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,275
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rouleur!
    Does anyone else think it's interesting that a little over a month after the IPCT votes to exlude Discovery Channel. Allegations of systematic doping against the presider of the IPCT and Quick Step manager, Patrick Lefevere, are made in the european sporting press?
    You're information is incorrect.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rouleur!
    Seems a bit convenient don't you think?
    Seems appropriate, especially in lieu of the fact that he's made passing comments/accusations on plenty of other riders and teams. If you think he's cleaner than the others, you're wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rouleur!
    I know its just cycling and conspiracy theories seem outlandish, but its only cycling to the guys on the bikes to everyone else involved its a business and money talks... So how crazy is it to assume that the threat of Lefevere's outspokeness poses to Discovery (and others that have taken on or are willing to take on banned or implicated riders) would make him a target for character assasination or at worst a set up...

    I don't mean to hate on discovery.
    I was a huge Basso fan and still am to an extent, although what he did to Riis seems kind wrong (Refusing DNA testing and leaving CSC only to agree to the possibility of future DNA tests with Discovery).
    you mean mr. 60%?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rouleur!
    Seems like he took an easy out of his contract with CSC for a possibly bigger contact with Disco.

    I digress though...
    correct.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Rouleur!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn
    My Bikes
    Late 80's Pinarello Treviso Track w/ campy pista record
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botto
    You're information is incorrect.
    News story on IPCT vote of exclusion of Discovery Channel

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...ec06/dec10news


    My comments were based off that story. As far as Mr.60% is concerned... the comments were about Basso not Riis. His past while shady was not part of my discussion...

  4. #4
    Senior Member Rouleur!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn
    My Bikes
    Late 80's Pinarello Treviso Track w/ campy pista record
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botto
    Seems appropriate, especially in lieu of the fact that he's made passing comments/accusations on plenty of other riders and teams. If you think he's cleaner than the others, you're wrong.

    Also, I never stated he was cleaner than the rest. Most likely he isn't...Again my discussion was about the timeliness of the accusations... Lefevere has admitted to taking drugs while he was a rider.

  5. #5
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,275
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rouleur!
    News story on IPCT vote of exclusion of Discovery Channel

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...ec06/dec10news


    My comments were based off that story. As far as Mr.60% is concerned... the comments were about Basso not Riis. His past while shady was not part of my discussion...
    Discoverys 'ban' was withdrawn over 2 weeks ago.

    http://www.eurosport.com/cycling/pro...o1053150.shtml

  6. #6
    Banned. El Diablo Rojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ATX, Ex So Cal
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu
    Posts
    11,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rouleur!
    News story on IPCT vote of exclusion of Discovery Channel

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...ec06/dec10news


    My comments were based off that story
    . As far as Mr.60% is concerned... the comments were about Basso not Riis. His past while shady was not part of my discussion...
    Then the assumptions you are making about this being a convenient conspiracy are based on faulty information.

    As for what Basso did to Riis we do not know the real reasons Basso left CSC all we know is what Riis and Basso have said publicly. For all we know Basso may have left CSC because he felt betrayed by the way Riis basically threw him under bus after the allegations in OP were revealed. This may be even more relevant given Riis' very questionable past as both a rider and a DS. Take long hard look at the riders who after being under Riis' tutelage have been busted for doping.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Dubbayoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta
    My Bikes
    Pedal Force QS3
    Posts
    7,683
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure Bruyneel has known about doping within Lefevefre's teams for many years. Directors probably have an unspoken agreement not to rat on each other.

    As far as Basso goes I think he agreed to DNA with Disco because it was the only way to get back on a big team. I think Riis was going to give him the boot anyway but he probably didn't think anyone else big would sign him. Something about Riis makes it easy to dislike him.

  8. #8
    Mooninite shakeNbake's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    South of Heaven
    My Bikes
    $53 Walmart Special
    Posts
    3,196
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trivia:

    One man connects USPS/Disco to Phonak to Quickstep.

    Wanna take a guess?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •