Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
  1. #1
    RustyTainte substructure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    28012
    My Bikes
    zilch
    Posts
    12,321
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Anyone going to Greenville, SC this weekend?

    The third - and final - week of the Training Series is this weekend put on by Hincapie Sports.
    I'm kinda, sorta, considering it. I'm racing in a couple weeks in Albemarle (near Charlotte) and haven't really thought of doing this but someone asked me to do it. He said this course is better than the Donaldson Center course. Plus the cat5s are age split so it's a lot better for us old guys to race with just old guys.

    Anyone else going?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ft Mill, SC
    My Bikes
    Parlee Z4, Storck C1.1
    Posts
    1,170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may race saturday or sunday. Just havent decided yet. Right now, the weather is iffy.

  3. #3
    RustyTainte substructure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    28012
    My Bikes
    zilch
    Posts
    12,321
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't spoken to the missus on this one yet. We are without kids this weekend - a first in over a year - so it's may or may not go over well.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ft Mill, SC
    My Bikes
    Parlee Z4, Storck C1.1
    Posts
    1,170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every girl loves watching bike races!

  5. #5
    Senior Member zimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,040
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by substructure
    I haven't spoken to the missus on this one yet. We are without kids this weekend - a first in over a year - so it's may or may not go over well.
    Lemme offer a suggestion... Stay in a nice hotel in Greenville and go out to eat at a nice place downtown. That city has TONS of great restaurants and quite a cool "nightlife scene." The race is only going to last about an hour, so you have her come with you and then you spend the rest of the day doing something fun in that area.

    --Steve

  6. #6
    Coastal NC oneradtec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    My Bikes
    2004 Trek 5200 w/ Ultegra
    Posts
    1,040
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Greenville is a very nice town.

  7. #7
    RustyTainte substructure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    28012
    My Bikes
    zilch
    Posts
    12,321
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm only an couple hours away. She wouldn't want to go. Plus, she's going shopping with my mother and sister tomorrow. It may just clear it up for me to race.

    Heck, I was planning on doing a group ride that would bring me home around the same time.


    edit: Just got off the phone with my wife. It's a go! Now if the weather holds out. Looks like rain tomrrow morning in Greenville.
    Last edited by substructure; 03-09-07 at 07:58 AM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,085
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im planning on being down there, last i checked there was only a 10% chance of rain. anybody have any updates?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    97
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be out there. I'm kinda curious to see what the Fork Shoals course is like.

  10. #10
    RustyTainte substructure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    28012
    My Bikes
    zilch
    Posts
    12,321
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bring44
    I'll be out there. I'm kinda curious to see what the Fork Shoals course is like.
    Me too. Heck, I'm curious to see if I can hang on.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ft Mill, SC
    My Bikes
    Parlee Z4, Storck C1.1
    Posts
    1,170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I havent seen the course for the fork shoals race, but the area in general is flat for Greenville. It is going to be about the same as the Donaldson loop in terms of terrain. There are a few hills that are maybe 200-300 yards long that are tough in the area. Whether or not they will be on the course I do not know.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    92
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick race report here--my son and I did the Fork Shoals race this morning. The course is much more interesting than Donaldson Center (which we Greenville area riders know like the backs of our hands)--a few 1/4 to 1/2 mile climbs and lots of rollers.

    It's a pretty fast course too, and the weather was very nice. The Cat 5 35+ racers averaged about 23 mph, and the Cat 4's around 25 mph.

    The course appears to be safe. The only slight bottleneck is the final turn toward the finish line. BUT . . . for some reason today was a crash-fest. Apparently the Cat 5 34- race was marred by a good many mishaps. I also saw one fellow lying on the road in a pool of blood--don't know which race he was part of. I did the Cat 5 35+ race, and you would think that older guys with jobs and families would be more careful, BUT NO!!! I heard or saw three crashes. The first happened behind me about two miles fromt the start, and the last involved two guys doing cartwheels in the grass to the right about 1/2 mile from the finish. The Cat 4's had a major pileup, once again about 1/2 mile from the finish, and even the ladies had a bad crash in the last turn. The ambulance drivers got a major workout today.

    I finished with the pack, and was just happy to stay clear of the carnage.

    Hat's off to Rich Hincapie and Co. for a well-run event, but why can't people be more careful?

    Dr. Bill

  13. #13
    RustyTainte substructure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    28012
    My Bikes
    zilch
    Posts
    12,321
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was total carnage in the 35+ race. Holy Lord, I was praying to whole time not to be taken out. 1st wreck took out 2 on the 1st lap. Then the next two happened on the second lap. The first one , I saw the two guys come together, then BAM! down right next to me. Then right before the bottle neck two guys get together and then veer off the road and I saw one flip right over his bars. My GOD! what is going on here? It freaked me out and I lost at least two spots before the turn. Finished 14th.

    Glad you're OK Dr. Bill. What a freaking mess, huh?

    Not sure if I knew you or not. I was the Clif Bar guy in orange and blue. I told my wife about all the wrecks and she says, "So this is suppose to make me feel better about you racing?"

    Shoulda kept my mouth shut. But it was just so crazy out there.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ft Mill, SC
    My Bikes
    Parlee Z4, Storck C1.1
    Posts
    1,170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am really glad that I decided that I was in too bad of shape to race. I did do the Paris Mtn climb on Saturday Am in 12:40, which is pretty good for me for this time of year, so I am starting to get back on top of things.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ft Mill, SC
    My Bikes
    Parlee Z4, Storck C1.1
    Posts
    1,170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bill
    Quick race report here--my son and I did the Fork Shoals race this morning. The course is much more interesting than Donaldson Center (which we Greenville area riders know like the backs of our hands)--a few 1/4 to 1/2 mile climbs and lots of rollers.

    It's a pretty fast course too, and the weather was very nice. The Cat 5 35+ racers averaged about 23 mph, and the Cat 4's around 25 mph.

    The course appears to be safe. The only slight bottleneck is the final turn toward the finish line. BUT . . . for some reason today was a crash-fest. Apparently the Cat 5 34- race was marred by a good many mishaps. I also saw one fellow lying on the road in a pool of blood--don't know which race he was part of. I did the Cat 5 35+ race, and you would think that older guys with jobs and families would be more careful, BUT NO!!! I heard or saw three crashes. The first happened behind me about two miles fromt the start, and the last involved two guys doing cartwheels in the grass to the right about 1/2 mile from the finish. The Cat 4's had a major pileup, once again about 1/2 mile from the finish, and even the ladies had a bad crash in the last turn. The ambulance drivers got a major workout today.

    I finished with the pack, and was just happy to stay clear of the carnage.

    Hat's off to Rich Hincapie and Co. for a well-run event, but why can't people be more careful?

    Dr. Bill
    FYI,

    I just got some info on a friend of mine who was in one of the 5 34- wrecks. He was apparently not moving after the crash and was taken to Simpsonville hospital, then transported to Greenville Memoral later in the afternoon. He has a broken hip, arm, and finger and a whole lot of road rash. The hip may require surgery. I think this was his 3rd or 4th race overall, and he is a very strong 5 rider. He is a new rider (less than 2 years), but had put in allot of work in the short time.

  16. #16
    Senior Member zimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,040
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any explanation for the sharp increase in Cat5 crashes this week compared to the last couple of weeks?

    --Steve

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ft Mill, SC
    My Bikes
    Parlee Z4, Storck C1.1
    Posts
    1,170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe somewhat due to the fact that everyone around here knows the DC ride like the back of their hand, vs the foark shoals RR, which people dont ride every week. Also, the fact that this is the last weekend and people are getting their confidence back up after the winter off, so they are just pushing harder. Just some ideas.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,085
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    faster course i think, but there were two crashes in the cat 5 34- field that were at over 30 mph and really bad. One thing is on kid who caused a crash the first weekend caused another one yesterday.

  19. #19
    Go Pre! DreamTheater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    My Bikes
    Trek 1500
    Posts
    251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The theme seems to be crashes/cat4-5. Time for me to work hard and upgrade to 3 this year.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    97
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was involved in one of the 34- cat 5 crashes yesterday. I was holding in the top 5 of the pack, pretty comfortable. The rider in front of me pops out of his pedal and slams on his brakes. I rode off the road to avoid a wreck and got back on with the group. As soon as I was back on, the same rider takes out a person in front of me and in effect...me. I got back up and kept going after the crash but one of the riders had some pretty bad road rash and was done for the day. I'm not sure about the rider who caused the pile up.

    This was the first crash of the day. I believe it was about 4 miles into the second lap.

  21. #21
    Aut Vincere Aut Mori Snuffleupagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    My Bikes
    Irish Cycles Tir na Nog, Jack Kane Team Racing, Fuji Aloha 1.0, GT Karakoram, Motobecane Fly Team
    Posts
    4,166
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy freaking crap guys...that sounds violent.

    Anyone race the CAT4 or CAT3 races? How did those go?

  22. #22
    Eternal Cat3 Rookie branman1986's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    2004 Giant TCR2 Composite & 2006 Fuji Touring
    Posts
    1,169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure why, just seems like those Greenville training races are mega-crashfests

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,085
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by branman1986
    I'm not sure why, just seems like those Greenville training races are mega-crashfests
    I really hope the rest of the season was not as bad as yesterday. I actuatly saw someone cross themselves after a crash a mile out from the finish.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Huntersville, NC
    Posts
    113
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was there this morning (Sunday). The announcers kept saying at the start of every race to take it easy, and mentioned the rider that went down yesterday and was having surgery today @ 8 AM on his broken hip. I guess everybody paid attention. I did the cat 5 35 + and it was a very controlled race. I stayed until the start of the Cat 1s and then had to go home. I may be wrong but I don't think there was a crash until then. At least none that the announcers mentioned. I don't know the other courses in the training series but this Donaldson Center circuit is good for cat 5s as it doesn't have any technical turns.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,085
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KramerTC
    I was there this morning (Sunday). The announcers kept saying at the start of every race to take it easy, and mentioned the rider that went down yesterday and was having surgery today @ 8 AM on his broken hip. I guess everybody paid attention. I did the cat 5 35 + and it was a very controlled race. I stayed until the start of the Cat 1s and then had to go home. I may be wrong but I don't think there was a crash until then. At least none that the announcers mentioned. I don't know the other courses in the training series but this Donaldson Center circuit is good for cat 5s as it doesn't have any technical turns.
    weird thing is i dont think theryre were any wrecks in the turns, the wrecks seems to happen when the pace picks up and riders want to change theyre line to grab a different guys wheel, crossing someone else. There was also an odd almost wreck where two rider touched wheels but instead of anyone going down one riders QR got caught in someone elses spokes lifting rider A's front wheel into the air, although they were able to recover this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •