Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Fluid Trainer vs. Rollers

    Fluid Trainer vs. Rollers. Pros and Cons. I have ridden on a fluid trainer, but never rollers. Just wanted to know what everyone thought about each and why one may be better than the other. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Go Pre! DreamTheater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    My Bikes
    Trek 1500
    Posts
    251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rollers are for sissies.

    Fluid trainers are great. Better resistance than rollers. resistance curve actually duplicates road resistance....unlike magnetics and wind.

    very few pros or aspiring pros use rollers....ever.

    If you ride enough, you will develop good technique and balance. You don't need rollers for that. Trainers such as fluid trainers are more effecient than rollers at building power and fitness. If you want to be a ballerina then get rollers.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    384
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamTheater
    Rollers are for sissies.

    Fluid trainers are great. Better resistance than rollers. resistance curve actually duplicates road resistance....unlike magnetics and wind.

    very few pros or aspiring pros use rollers....ever.

    If you ride enough, you will develop good technique and balance. You don't need rollers for that. Trainers such as fluid trainers are more effecient than rollers at building power and fitness. If you want to be a ballerina then get rollers.
    Not true. Both rollers and trainers have their pros and cons.

    Have you been to a pro track race? They all use rollers, not trainers

  4. #4
    Edificating dmotoguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    boise idaho
    My Bikes
    2005 Specialized Tarmac Comp, Steyr Clubman, Motobecane Phantom Cross Uno, Cannondale Caad9, IRO bffgss
    Posts
    2,442
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    most of us dont race track..
    Ultimate Cat -o- Meter
    X-x0x-x-X - 40%

  5. #5
    Banned. El Diablo Rojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ATX, Ex So Cal
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu
    Posts
    11,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a recent roller convert, and apparent sissy, I feel like rollers replicate riding on the road much more closely. With the Killer Headwind unit attached my Kreitler Alloy rollers I get as much resistance as I need, with a more realistic feel. They aren't has hard on your tire or bike either. This combined with the more benefits to my core and overall bike handling I am willing to be a sissy. I am of course a sissy who can ride rollers, perhaps some of the more manly BF'ers can't master the skill

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    711
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamTheater
    Rollers are for sissies. If you want to be a ballerina then get rollers.

  7. #7
    Go Pre! DreamTheater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    My Bikes
    Trek 1500
    Posts
    251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo
    As a recent roller convert, and apparent sissy, I feel like rollers replicate riding on the road much more closely. With the Killer Headwind unit attached my Kreitler Alloy rollers I get as much resistance as I need, with a more realistic feel. They aren't has hard on your tire or bike either. This combined with the more benefits to my core and overall bike handling I am willing to be a sissy. I am of course a sissy who can ride rollers, perhaps some of the more manly BF'ers can't master the skill
    I admit I could never master them.

  8. #8
    Oh The Huge Manatee Lithuania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    mabra
    Posts
    4,528
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hahaha big shock then that you would say they are for sissies

  9. #9
    Senior Member skinny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    821
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the Kreitler Dyno-Lyte rollers. You will never look back.

  10. #10
    peloton surfing HillMut's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    704
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had a set of rollers for a little over a year and bought a fluid trainer about a month ago.... The rollers are nice on recovery days (I don't have any resistance & they are large drum rollers), but good practice once or twice a week. The trainer gives a much more focused workout, I don't like doing intervals so much on it, but putting myself in a well focused zone 2/3 workout is time well spent. The fluid trainer is much nicer to warmup on at races also.
    Since you own a trainer, but a set of rollers, used if you're short on cash. I paid $20 for mine...

  11. #11
    velosipedist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    171
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey everyone, another sissy here. Rollers give you... no... they REQUIRE good balance and a smooth spin. Learning to ride out of the saddle on rollers is incredibly beneficial too, since you'll be able to sit and stand in a close paceline without killing the people in front and behind you. As for resistance, you can get reduced radius rollers or simply let some air out of your tires.

    Exercise bikes and frame-clamping gadgets are better for interval training and crazy VO2max sprints. They're also far more accomodating of non-ballerinas

  12. #12
    Senior Member mike9903's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    My Bikes
    09 Orbea Orca
    Posts
    1,465
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamTheater
    Rollers are for sissies.

    Fluid trainers are great. Better resistance than rollers. resistance curve actually duplicates road resistance....unlike magnetics and wind.

    very few pros or aspiring pros use rollers....ever.

    If you ride enough, you will develop good technique and balance. You don't need rollers for that. Trainers such as fluid trainers are more effecient than rollers at building power and fitness. If you want to be a ballerina then get rollers.
    NOTE TO SELF: Do not ever choose DreamTheater's wheel while in the pack and be prepared to yell, "HOLD YOUR LINE!!!!!"
    2011 Madone 6.9 SSL w/SRAM Red


    ”What goes through your head when you see the 1k to go sign?”

    “55 x 11″ - Matt Crane(Team Jelly Belly)

  13. #13
    Slow'n'Aero DrWJODonnell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Driving the pace in the crosswind
    Posts
    2,599
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sissy here. Actually I ride both rollers and trainer throughout the week. In all fairness, I have suffered more injury falling from rollers than I have falling off of the trainer.

  14. #14
    Go Pre! DreamTheater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    My Bikes
    Trek 1500
    Posts
    251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mike9903
    NOTE TO SELF: Do not ever choose DreamTheater's wheel while in the pack and be prepared to yell, "HOLD YOUR LINE!!!!!"

    Te he he he he!

  15. #15
    velosipedist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    171
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWJODonnell
    I have suffered more injury falling from rollers than I have falling off of the trainer.
    Injury is for sissies.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •