Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-13-07, 01:32 PM   #1
carpediemracing
Super Moderator
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Bikes: Tsunami Bikes
Posts: 14,575
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
2007 Ronde De Bethel, Bethel, CT, helmet cam

I'm the cammer and I'm also one of two race promoters. So those are reasons for me to put this up. But I also put this clip out there because I thought it's something fun to watch.

Race stats - Cat 3-4's, about 1 hour long, 70-something racers, 0.8 mile loop, 150 meter hill (finish line at top), max grade 6 or 8% for a couple feet, extremely windy, temps in the mid-low 30's F. A guy soloed for most of the race, two bridged up, and the field (where I was) was sprinting for 4th.

enjoy!

2007 Ronde de Bethel, March 4, 2007

cdr
carpediemracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-07, 02:17 PM   #2
Cypress
Giving you the business.
 
Cypress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Corvallis, Oregon
Bikes: Ridley Noah, Giant Trinity Advanced, Specialized Crux
Posts: 4,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Some serious disorganization in that pack.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator
Dear Cypress,

You have received an infraction at Bike Forums.
Cypress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-07, 02:45 PM   #3
pinky
Ink-Stained Wretch
 
pinky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Holyoke, MA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
*tear* if wasn't injured the entire winter I'd probably be in that video...early season Bethel, looks bout right. Given that about half the course is downhill, its pretty easy to get lazy in the pack.
pinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-07, 02:52 PM   #4
DrWJODonnell
Slow'n'Aero
 
DrWJODonnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Driving the pace in the crosswind
Bikes:
Posts: 2,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for that! I love it! And as an added bonus, we knew when you were efficient in the draft and when you were pushing wind bigtime! Hopefully, we will see more in the future.
DrWJODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-07, 03:12 PM   #5
Cypress
Giving you the business.
 
Cypress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Corvallis, Oregon
Bikes: Ridley Noah, Giant Trinity Advanced, Specialized Crux
Posts: 4,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky
*tear* if wasn't injured the entire winter I'd probably be in that video...early season Bethel, looks bout right. Given that about half the course is downhill, its pretty easy to get lazy in the pack.

I would say almost 100% of all crits and circuits are half downhill.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator
Dear Cypress,

You have received an infraction at Bike Forums.
Cypress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-07, 03:13 PM   #6
El Diablo Rojo
Banned.
 
El Diablo Rojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ATX, Ex So Cal
Bikes: Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu
Posts: 11,058
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress
I would say almost 100% of all crits and circuits are half downhill.
Like the man said cycling is 50% skill, 50% luck and 50% mental.
El Diablo Rojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-07, 03:52 PM   #7
shakeNbake
Mooninite
 
shakeNbake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South of Heaven
Bikes: $53 Walmart Special
Posts: 3,187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress
I would say almost 100% of all crits and circuits are half downhill.
ROFLMAO!

My commute is always headwind, uphill both ways!!
shakeNbake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-07, 04:40 PM   #8
toshi
Lint Picker
 
toshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Bikes: 08 Cannondale Super Six
Posts: 590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are those people fat or is that camera fitted with a big fisheye. j/k nice vid.
toshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-07, 06:25 PM   #9
patentcad
Peloton Dog
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Bikes: 2013 Scott Foil, 2014 Scott Addict, 2008 Cervelo P3 (TT), 2015 Scott Scale 700SL MTB
Posts: 59,454
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Thanks Carpe, nice job! It has been a while since I raced in Bethel, I forgot how much of that course is downhill.

(Borat Voiceover) I LIIIKEEEE.....
patentcad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-07, 06:40 PM   #10
carpediemracing
Super Moderator
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Bikes: Tsunami Bikes
Posts: 14,575
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWJODonnell
Thanks for that! I love it! And as an added bonus, we knew when you were efficient in the draft and when you were pushing wind bigtime! Hopefully, we will see more in the future.
The wind noise is telling isn't it? I'm always amazed at how much I'm in the wind at the end versus the rest of the race.

cdr
carpediemracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-07, 08:42 PM   #11
patentcad
Peloton Dog
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Bikes: 2013 Scott Foil, 2014 Scott Addict, 2008 Cervelo P3 (TT), 2015 Scott Scale 700SL MTB
Posts: 59,454
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
The wind noise is telling isn't it? I'm always amazed at how much I'm in the wind at the end versus the rest of the race.

cdr
The wind noise was so pronounced my daughter asked me to turn the volume down on my laptop as I watched the video : ). Bethel IS a windy spot....
patentcad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-07, 10:02 PM   #12
isuffer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NY
Bikes:
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Aki, - nice job! I was wondering what the conditions were like last Sunday. Family function ruled over race. See you Sunday

Sung
isuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-07, 04:09 AM   #13
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Interesting to see.

I grew up not so far from Bethel, and ride the Sunday/Tuesday Sleeping Giant ride when I'm back a couple of times a year, so I've probably sat on a few of those wheels before.

have yet to do one of the races there, but who knows?

BTW - Kind of a loose field if the wind was as bad as you wrote, also - what's with the dudes in knee warmer in 30 weather???

Don't ask me why, but I really like the Keltic team kits, even if the designer threw in adidas stripes on a champion systems kit.

Last edited by botto; 03-14-07 at 04:18 AM.
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-07, 06:54 AM   #14
carpediemracing
Super Moderator
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Bikes: Tsunami Bikes
Posts: 14,575
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
The race itself was very stop and go. The "Move Up Lap" was probably 5 laps in, and it happened to be just before a prime (so I shot backwards right after that). I was very sick (flu) so unfortunately I couldn't make any moves.

There was an initial break after the prime, a lot of guys tried to make various moves work, but one guy solo'ed for most of the race. A LOT of teams used their guys to keep it close, then two guys from another team rocketed across the gap - they bridged at about 5 to go.

About kneewarmers - one of them won. And he just placed 8th in a stage race in Arizona a few weeks ago. There were guys unzipping their booties. I used my "light" tights (not windproof), and at the end I was frantically trying to peel my two head covers off my ears.

The gaps - on the last lap there were a lot of frantic moves and I guess people had problems keeping gaps closed. I couldn't contribute very much.

You'll notice one guy shooting up the left side on the last lap after the first turn. He shot backwards on the hill - but only after he led his teammate out for the field sprint win (4th). That's the team that also got 1st and 3rd.

The next week (March 11) is also a great race, an 8 man break who was away for virtually all of the race was caught halfway up the hill in the sprint. 3 teams (Bethel Cycle, Jonathan Adler, Target Training) wasted themselves bringing back the break.

I'll post a link when I upload.

cdr
carpediemracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-07, 07:00 AM   #15
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
The race itself was very stop and go. The "Move Up Lap" was probably 5 laps in, and it happened to be just before a prime (so I shot backwards right after that). I was very sick (flu) so unfortunately I couldn't make any moves.

There was an initial break after the prime, a lot of guys tried to make various moves work, but one guy solo'ed for most of the race. A LOT of teams used their guys to keep it close, then two guys from another team rocketed across the gap - they bridged at about 5 to go.

About kneewarmers - one of them won. And he just placed 8th in a stage race in Arizona a few weeks ago. There were guys unzipping their booties. I used my "light" tights (not windproof), and at the end I was frantically trying to peel my two head covers off my ears.

The gaps - on the last lap there were a lot of frantic moves and I guess people had problems keeping gaps closed. I couldn't contribute very much.

You'll notice one guy shooting up the left side on the last lap after the first turn. He shot backwards on the hill - but only after he led his teammate out for the field sprint win (4th). That's the team that also got 1st and 3rd.

The next week (March 11) is also a great race, an 8 man break who was away for virtually all of the race was caught halfway up the hill in the sprint. 3 teams (Bethel Cycle, Jonathan Adler, Target Training) wasted themselves bringing back the break.

I'll post a link when I upload.

cdr
If you're friendly with morgan s. tell him one of his old sheepshead teammates says hello from cyberland.
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-07, 08:46 AM   #16
carpediemracing
Super Moderator
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Bikes: Tsunami Bikes
Posts: 14,575
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botto
If you're friendly with morgan s. tell him one of his old sheepshead teammates says hello from cyberland.
I am and I will.
carpediemracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:57 PM.