Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 79

Thread: HR question

  1. #1
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    55,986
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    HR question

    My max HR is somewhere in the 180-184 range. Those are the highest numbers I've seen in the past year I've started with a HR monitor after 7 years of not using one, and I've only seen 180 once or twice. Typically my HR goes to 170-175 during hard intervals. On the hard 6+ minute intervals today (1+ mile climbs up a 600 vertical foot climb) I didn't see higher than 172 or so. I felt if I pushed harder I was going to detonate. But I was consistently in that 160-172 range. Does that make my 'lactate threshold' about 165-170bpm or so??

  2. #2
    Oh The Huge Manatee Lithuania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    mabra
    Posts
    4,528
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that would sound about right without doing longer tests

  3. #3
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,217
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'd agree, sounds about right. Little bit more precise tests. Do 2 ,3 mile timetrials, with 10minutes rest in between. Take 92% of your average HR,and thats your LTHR. (theory is you can do 108% of LTHR for 8 minutes or so.)

    Or do 2 20 minute intervals and take 95% of the average,

    Or 1, 25 mile tt and take your average HR.

    The longer the test, the more potentially accurate, but also the more painful.

  4. #4
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,335
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
    i'd agree, sounds about right. Little bit more precise tests. Do 2 ,3 mile timetrials, with 10minutes rest in between. Take 92% of your average HR,and thats your LTHR. (theory is you can do 108% of LTHR for 8 minutes or so.)

    Or do 2 20 minute intervals and take 95% of the average,

    Or 1, 25 mile tt and take your average HR.

    The longer the test, the more potentially accurate, but also the more painful.
    good advice.

    alternatively, patentcad could get himself a powermeter (like i've been thinking about doing ).

  5. #5
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,217
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and then you could have cool little charts to play with.


  6. #6
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,335
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
    and then you could have cool little charts to play with.

    funny enough, one of my best friends has been using SRM cranks for over 4 years. he's NEVER bothered to download his data.

    he struggles up hills, but is one of the strongest people i've ever had the honor to ride with.

  7. #7
    Dirt-riding heretic DrPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Gig Harbor, WA
    My Bikes
    Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9
    Posts
    17,416
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
    and then you could have cool little charts to play with.

    In order to compete with the OCP club we need to start a power weenie club. A big "PW" made out of lightning bolts is a good start.
    "Unless he was racing there was no way he could match my speed."

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Reisterstown, MD
    Posts
    3,181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botto
    alternatively, patentcad could get himself a powermeter (like i've been thinking about doing ).

    Don't we all?

    -D

  9. #9
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,335
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPete
    In order to compete with the OCP club we need to start a power weenie club. A big "PW" made out of lightning bolts is a good start.

    ?



  10. #10
    Oh The Huge Manatee Lithuania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    mabra
    Posts
    4,528
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^^
    ahahaha

  11. #11
    Edificating dmotoguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    boise idaho
    My Bikes
    2005 Specialized Tarmac Comp, Steyr Clubman, Motobecane Phantom Cross Uno, Cannondale Caad9, IRO bffgss
    Posts
    2,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ultimate Cat -o- Meter
    X-x0x-x-X - 40%

  12. #12
    Oh The Huge Manatee Lithuania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    mabra
    Posts
    4,528
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    another test you can do is a 30 minute tt and take the average hr of the last 20 minutes.

    better yet do each test listed so far and take the average!

  13. #13
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,335
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmotoguy
    yep. that's better. its 10:00 PM where i am. tired, and about to go out and drink.
    Last edited by botto; 03-16-07 at 02:16 AM.

  14. #14
    Edificating dmotoguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    boise idaho
    My Bikes
    2005 Specialized Tarmac Comp, Steyr Clubman, Motobecane Phantom Cross Uno, Cannondale Caad9, IRO bffgss
    Posts
    2,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    where you are sounds like where I want to be.
    Ultimate Cat -o- Meter
    X-x0x-x-X - 40%

  15. #15
    Dirt-riding heretic DrPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Gig Harbor, WA
    My Bikes
    Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9
    Posts
    17,416
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Except "Weenies" is misspelled.

    But I think you're on to something. Please distribute a sig-sized copy ASAP.

    The only problem seems to be that our President/Prophet/Messiah/Supreme Field Marshal is no longer frequenting BF, so we must all erect small statues in our living rooms in order to pay homage.
    "Unless he was racing there was no way he could match my speed."

  16. #16
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,335
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPete
    Except "Weenies" is misspelled.

    But I think you're on to something. Please distribute a sig-sized copy ASAP.

    The only problem seems to be that our President/Prophet/Messiah/Supreme Field Marshal is no longer frequenting BF, so we must all erect small statues in our living rooms in order to pay homage.
    Spacerman?


  17. #17
    Edificating dmotoguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    boise idaho
    My Bikes
    2005 Specialized Tarmac Comp, Steyr Clubman, Motobecane Phantom Cross Uno, Cannondale Caad9, IRO bffgss
    Posts
    2,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ultimate Cat -o- Meter
    X-x0x-x-X - 40%

  18. #18
    Giving you the business. Cypress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Corvallis, Oregon
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah, Giant Trinity Advanced, Specialized Crux
    Posts
    4,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botto
    Spacerman?


    BWAAAAHAHHAHHAHA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator
    Dear Cypress,

    You have received an infraction at Bike Forums.

  19. #19
    Theodore Roosevelt's idol TheKillerPenguin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Vagabond
    My Bikes
    Affirmative
    Posts
    8,984
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pat is still around. We've been pwning him in the P&R forum lately
    Masochism is a training adaptation.

  20. #20
    Dirt-riding heretic DrPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Gig Harbor, WA
    My Bikes
    Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9
    Posts
    17,416
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)


    While hilarious, the President/Prophet/Messiah/Supreme Field Marshal of the Power Weenies of which I speak is none other than the almighty R600DuraAce. His Powertap was born with a dial, making him The Chosen One.
    "Unless he was racing there was no way he could match my speed."

  21. #21
    Theodore Roosevelt's idol TheKillerPenguin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Vagabond
    My Bikes
    Affirmative
    Posts
    8,984
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ohhhh Untergershekfugengrossenfuher R600! Where the hell did he go anyway?
    Masochism is a training adaptation.

  22. #22
    Giving you the business. Cypress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Corvallis, Oregon
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah, Giant Trinity Advanced, Specialized Crux
    Posts
    4,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
    ohhhh Untergershekfugengrossenfuher R600! Where the hell did he go anyway?

    Well, have you wondered why daylight savings time was early this year?

    Riddle me this and you will have your answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator
    Dear Cypress,

    You have received an infraction at Bike Forums.

  23. #23
    Banned. El Diablo Rojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ATX, Ex So Cal
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu
    Posts
    11,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress
    Well, have you wondered why daylight savings time was early this year?

    Riddle me this and you will have your answer.



    Well Batman, I'd like to think that the show us your results issue was what drove him off but I think he may be at home using his super human wattage output to change the angle at which the earth is facing the sun. This in turn has given us an earlier than normal daylight savings time. Either that or some boneheads in Washington decided I needed to ride in pitch darkness at 7am.

  24. #24
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,335
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo


    Well Batman, I'd like to think that the show us your results issue was what drove him off but I think he may be at home using his super human wattage output to change the angle at which the earth is facing the sun. This in turn has given us an earlier than normal daylight savings time. Either that or some boneheads in Washington decided I needed to ride in pitch darkness at 7am.

  25. #25
    Giving you the business. Cypress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Corvallis, Oregon
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah, Giant Trinity Advanced, Specialized Crux
    Posts
    4,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo


    Well Batman, I'd like to think that the show us your results issue was what drove him off but I think he may be at home using his super human wattage output to change the angle at which the earth is facing the sun. This in turn has given us an earlier than normal daylight savings time. Either that or some boneheads in Washington decided I needed to ride in pitch darkness at 7am.

    Forgive my laughing, but that's just too much!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator
    Dear Cypress,

    You have received an infraction at Bike Forums.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •