Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Aut Vincere Aut Mori Snuffleupagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    My Bikes
    Irish Cycles Tir na Nog, Jack Kane Team Racing, Fuji Aloha 1.0, GT Karakoram, Motobecane Fly Team
    Posts
    4,166
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Best Place/Way to Spend a Week or Two of Race Training

    Well...after doing really well during my month off after the surgery - the first week back to work has been kinda rough. My diet and sleep habits went to crap, and being on my feet all day at work caused my knee to puff up like a balloon.

    This of course is very bad, but not so bad that I can't remedy the ill effects of the last week in 2-3 weeks of focused rest/training and diet.

    Now, I'll get my act back together, but I've really done the "two steps forward, one step back" - so, I've been thinking that in addition to just getting on top of my daily routine again I might benefit from taking a week or two off to do some focused training sometime in April or May.

    My first "A" race is on the last weekend of May, everything before that is just an opportunity to snag more upgrade points and top 10s.

    What I'm thinking about doing is driving out to the mountains of Boone/Asheville and putting in a big, big, big week. Something like 25-30 hours, and 1500+ TSS. Provided I experience no additional knee issues between then and now, the intent of that weekish would be to provide a hefty shock to the system to force adaptation. I'd then take the following week easy, and return to normal training after that. Plus, I like riding my bike in the mountains

    Is this a stupid idea? If so, how stupid? If no - any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Giving you the business. Cypress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Corvallis, Oregon
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah, Giant Trinity Advanced, Specialized Crux
    Posts
    4,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus
    Well...after doing really well during my month off after the surgery - the first week back to work has been kinda rough. My diet and sleep habits went to crap, and being on my feet all day at work caused my knee to puff up like a balloon.

    This of course is very bad, but not so bad that I can't remedy the ill effects of the last week in 2-3 weeks of focused rest/training and diet.

    Now, I'll get my act back together, but I've really done the "two steps forward, one step back" - so, I've been thinking that in addition to just getting on top of my daily routine again I might benefit from taking a week or two off to do some focused training sometime in April or May.

    My first "A" race is on the last weekend of May, everything before that is just an opportunity to snag more upgrade points and top 10s.

    What I'm thinking about doing is driving out to the mountains of Boone/Asheville and putting in a big, big, big week. Something like 25-30 hours, and 1500+ TSS. Provided I experience no additional knee issues between then and now, the intent of that weekish would be to provide a hefty shock to the system to force adaptation. I'd then take the following week easy, and return to normal training after that. Plus, I like riding my bike in the mountains

    Is this a stupid idea? If so, how stupid? If no - any suggestions?
    Go to Austin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator
    Dear Cypress,

    You have received an infraction at Bike Forums.

  3. #3
    Giving you the business. Cypress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Corvallis, Oregon
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah, Giant Trinity Advanced, Specialized Crux
    Posts
    4,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OR, come here to MT. I could use a good week of ownage. Plus the cold will help your swelling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator
    Dear Cypress,

    You have received an infraction at Bike Forums.

  4. #4
    Used to be a climber.. GuitarWizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    North Providence, RI
    My Bikes
    None at the moment
    Posts
    6,821
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going away on vacation to ride isn't such a bad idea....however, riding 2-3 times what you normally would in a given week...not sure how that'll pan out for ya.
    1999 Trek 2500 - hit by a car on it in May, 2011 and currently bikeless

  5. #5
    Banned. El Diablo Rojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ATX, Ex So Cal
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu
    Posts
    11,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress
    OR, come here to MT. I could use a good week of ownage. Plus the cold will help your swelling.
    Yes the cold is always good for shrinkage. Dude Austin has it going on right now. The weather is gett'n good, we've got our Tuesday nighter light'n it up starting next week as are the drive way crits. We've got a boat load of talent to ride against, several USA Cycling juniors are here training along with some wicked fast ex pro and national champions.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Stallionforce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Victoria
    My Bikes
    05 Norco CRR Team Carbon Dura Ace, 06 Cervelo P2C TT Dura Ace, 88 Olmo Steelie w. Campy Mirage, Cypress CX w. 105
    Posts
    1,372
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huge training block followed by recovery? Sounds like an awesome plan! Unlike the others, though, I'm not going to invite you up to Canada. The weather here sucks goat balls at the moment.

  7. #7
    Senior Member zimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,040
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't understand why you'd go any farther away than the Blue Ridge Parkway (Mount Mitchell, Beech Mountain, the Parkway, named gap after named gap, US181, etc).

    --Steve
    Last edited by zimbo; 03-15-07 at 05:25 PM.

  8. #8
    Aut Vincere Aut Mori Snuffleupagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    My Bikes
    Irish Cycles Tir na Nog, Jack Kane Team Racing, Fuji Aloha 1.0, GT Karakoram, Motobecane Fly Team
    Posts
    4,166
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My normal training week is 12 hours, with high weeks hitting 16-18 hours. I can probably go as high as 20 hours once or maybe twice before planned "uber" training week. After ~6 years of aerobic base built up through running and cycling I imagine that'd be sufficient preparation...

  9. #9
    Used to be a climber.. GuitarWizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    North Providence, RI
    My Bikes
    None at the moment
    Posts
    6,821
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah....well, I guess if you're hitting close to 20 hours during a hard week, 25-30 isn't that bad. I was just thinking if you went from say, riding 10-12 hours normally to 30 hours....that might've been a bit of a jump.

    I'd hit up CA myself.
    1999 Trek 2500 - hit by a car on it in May, 2011 and currently bikeless

  10. #10
    Dirt-riding heretic DrPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Posts
    17,392
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It may be a little far to drive for you, but this sounds like fun:

    http://rawtalent.lostriverbarn.com/
    http://lostriverbarn.com/

    The owner (Jay Moglia) is a member and sponsor of our team... a very experienced Cat 1.

    Pardon the shilling.
    "Unless he was racing there was no way he could match my speed."

  11. #11
    NYC Maggie Backstedt fan
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    New York City
    My Bikes
    Trek road and hybrid bikes
    Posts
    471
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm taking my vacation at the Tour de Georgia, riding the course in the mornings. I'll be in Asheville visiting my brother on April 23-25, if those are days you'll be there and you'd like company on a ride. Hilly but not mountainous I ride 15-16 avg. for 40-60 miles. There's a Tuesday morning club ride from a downtown Asheville bike shop. I got the links from a board here. I think I searched on Asheville.

    I think the area, and Boone, are great places to take the bike and get away for some serious riding.
    "I can't believe we still have to protest this crap." - courtesy, Johnny Monkey

    Visit "Inspirations and Aspirations" at http://alanfleisig.wordpress.com/

  12. #12
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,109
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking coming off knee surgery and a sedendary period, gradually increasing base miles, and some low tension stuff like fast pedals might be more in order than an uber week in the mountains.

  13. #13
    NorCal Climbing Freak
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    872
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fly to California if you can swing it. I'm currently arranging a flight home for the 7 days of my spring break. Might do the Berkeley collegiate race, or maybe Orosi, while I'm out there.

    Just wherever you go, make sure the weather is almost guaranteed to be nice.

  14. #14
    Oh The Huge Manatee Lithuania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    mabra
    Posts
    4,528
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im going to phoenix next week for this same reason.

  15. #15
    Aut Vincere Aut Mori Snuffleupagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    My Bikes
    Irish Cycles Tir na Nog, Jack Kane Team Racing, Fuji Aloha 1.0, GT Karakoram, Motobecane Fly Team
    Posts
    4,166
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
    I'm thinking coming off knee surgery and a sedendary period, gradually increasing base miles, and some low tension stuff like fast pedals might be more in order than an uber week in the mountains.
    This would be following a solid base, and I'd only do it if I'm pain free from the ol knees. I have roughly 40 hours logged on the trainer since the surgery (8FEB), so I'm hoping that a lack of base will not be a factor.

  16. #16
    Giving you the business. Cypress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Corvallis, Oregon
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah, Giant Trinity Advanced, Specialized Crux
    Posts
    4,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus
    This would be following a solid base, and I'd only do it if I'm pain free from the ol knees. I have roughly 40 hours logged on the trainer since the surgery (8FEB), so I'm hoping that a lack of base will not be a factor.

    Come to MT. 5k feet above sea level, then we'll ride to 11k. Show you what aerobic means.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator
    Dear Cypress,

    You have received an infraction at Bike Forums.

  17. #17
    Eternal Cat3 Rookie branman1986's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    2004 Giant TCR2 Composite & 2006 Fuji Touring
    Posts
    1,169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come to north Georgia! Hit up the gaps and ride the TDG course!

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,085
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    greenville is also a great place to train pretty locally, its not going to be as cold as the mountains and youve got tons of great rides and plenty of climbing.

    Honestly i would say the mountains though. Asheville, boone maybe.

  19. #19
    Senior Member DieselDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.
    My Bikes
    Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger
    Posts
    8,524
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found the area around McCormick, Plum Branch, and Modoc, SC around Lake Thurmond (Clark's Hill Lake for those in Georgia) to be a fine place to get some training. You may have to pack a tent or haul an RV out there, as accommodations aren't much in the way of hotels/motels. Rolling hills but no hard climbs.
    Bikes use brakes to stop.

    If your bike has breaks, don't ride it.

  20. #20
    Making a kilometer blurry waterrockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin (near TX)
    My Bikes
    rkwaki's porn collection
    Posts
    25,973
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great suggestions in here. In the interest of preventing overtraining, you might devote a couple of days to mountain biking. If you throw down 5 long days on the road, bouncing off some rocks can be quite refreshing. Could be a nice changeup for recovery rides instead of boring yourself to death on new roads that you wish you could ride hard.

  21. #21
    Senior Member Ktmartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Athens, GA
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F400
    Posts
    114
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come to Athens, GA! 3 pro teams call Athens home, you have the tdg coming up, and an hour drive to the mountain backroads. I might even drive a chase vehicle for you yelling Allez, Allez!
    2006 TREK 2100

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    776
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd suggest the area around Memphis. Those climbs are horrible, the cost of living is cheap, and the roads are simply pristine.

  23. #23
    Senior Member garysol1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Avon , Ohio
    Posts
    9,844
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ri_us
    I'd suggest the area around Memphis. Those climbs are horrible, the cost of living is cheap, and the roads are simply pristine.
    Are we talking about the same Memphis I ride in. Our climbs are hills, the cost of living is cheap but you get what you pay for and the roads are terrible with very few roads having as much as a shoulder and most of the lesser traveled roads are tar and chip. With that said we do have a very strong cycling community with a group ride for pretty much any day of the week.

  24. #24
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,335
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garysol1
    Are we talking about the same Memphis I ride in. Our climbs are hills, the cost of living is cheap but you get what you pay for and the roads are terrible with very few roads having as much as a shoulder and most of the lesser traveled roads are tar and chip. With that said we do have a very strong cycling community with a group ride for pretty much any day of the week.
    civic pride.

  25. #25
    Senior Member garysol1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Avon , Ohio
    Posts
    9,844
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botto
    civic pride.
    What can I say...I am a realist. We have some some really nice areas but you have to hunt them out.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •