Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    55,759
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Dog Meat Afternoon

    Or in this case, a morning where I felt like absolute dog meat. Don't ask me why. We all have those days.

    Have you ever felt: 'there's no way I feel I can ride 30mph today but what the hell, I'll try'. That's how I felt this morning prior to the Nyack ride (the local racer fast Sunday ride). It was <30, windy, and there was a light dusting of snow from last night (plus all the floatsam and jetsam from the 10" snowfall on Friday night). So conditions were far from ideal. Too many patches of frozen snow on the road. Miraculously they were all skillfully pointed out and avoided by the 20-30mph paceline. That's one of the great things about that ride, the paceline competence level is as good as it generally gets.

    Maybe my training is coming around, but I hung on today. And there were a couple of times when I thought I might get ejected if the gas got turned up any farther, but that never happened. A young Cat 2 guy from the Army (as in West Point) cycling squad and a Nyack regular got away clean today, the sprint was going to be for 3rd place, I considered the dicey road/snow conditions and the testosterone filled jockeying for position and bailed 2 miles early as the ride passed my parked car. But @ that point I felt fairly dialed in, no danger of getting shelled. In retrospect I should have ridden and contested the sprint, but I wasn't really enjoying it today, and I was glad to have survived at all. The weather conditions did truly suck, the nice heated Piermont bike shop felt GREAT today when I walked in after the ride (I leave my shoes/car keys there, use their bathroom).

    I guess my point is that when you start a race or hard ride feeling as if you won't last 10 miles and you wind up hanging in there for 30, that's not a bad day on the bike. Smaller group today, but that actually makes it harder, mostly hard core guys (harder core than me, that's easy) and we still dropped at least 5 guys out of 25 or so enroute.

    All things considered I'd rather die by hitting frozen snow @ 30mph on my bike or by having my heart detonate mid-ride thanks to some overzealous Cat 2 youngster trying to kill me than @ home in the easy chair. I'm sure other middle aged fart riders here agree. God help me boys, I do love it. You'd have to to go on a ride like that (which is a 40 min. drive from here to boot) in conditions like this feeling like I did @ 8AM : ).

    Get a life? Frankly, I LOVE my life just the way it is. F that Euro vacation crap KP. Race your bike! You can go to Europe after they draft you into the Army anyway!
    Last edited by patentcad; 03-18-07 at 02:36 PM.

  2. #2
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,275
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well done you grumpy old weenie.

    frankly i'm surprised to hear that a west pointer is a cat 2, let alone a strong one. back in the early 90s all they were good at was crashing.

    keep on keeping on my man. now go have a beer and a pizza!

  3. #3
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    55,759
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botto
    well done you grumpy old weenie.

    frankly i'm surprised to hear that a west pointer is a cat 2, let alone a strong one. back in the early 90s all they were good at was crashing.

    keep on keeping on my man. now go have a beer and a pizza!
    I hear he's a 2. A 'strong Cat 2'. I'm a Cat 4 for life. To me there's no such thing as a 'weak Cat 2'.

    I had the pizza already.

    By the way all the local races (Central Park and Bethel) were cancelled due to the Friday night into Saturday snow storm. The roads should be all normal and clear by next weekend.

  4. #4
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,275
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patentcad
    I hear he's a 2. A 'strong Cat 2'. I'm a Cat 4 for life. To me there's no such thing as a 'weak Cat 2'.

    I had the pizza already.

    By the way all the local races (Central Park and Bethel) were cancelled due to the Friday night into Saturday snow storm. The roads should be all normal and clear by next weekend.
    so i just heard from my father (about the key-rap weather, not the races).

    you're still the man!

  5. #5
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    55,759
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botto
    so i just heard from my father (about the key-rap weather, not the races).
    We got 12" of snow/ice, the city got 5-6", Hunter (Catskills, 90 miles north of here) got 21". The farther away from the ocean you got the less warm air mixed in, the more snow vs. ice there was. But a total mess was experienced by all. Fortnately the March sunshine is making quick work of it. This morning the roads were a bit dicey, by noon they were all fine. And nobody crashed on the Nyack ride due to ice/snow, which was great. Long range forecast is for 40*beginning of this week, 60 by Friday. The weather should start to soften up now. I hope.

  6. #6
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,275
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patentcad
    We got 12" of snow/ice, the city got 5-6", Hunter (Catskills, 90 miles north of here) got 21". The farther away from the ocean you got the less warm air mixed in, the more snow vs. ice there was. But a total mess was experienced by all. Fortnately the March sunshine is making quick work of it. This morning the roads were a bit dicey, by noon they were all fine. And nobody crashed on the Nyack ride due to ice/snow, which was great. Long range forecast is for 40*beginning of this week, 60 by Friday. The weather should start to soften up now. I hope.
    so i see thanks to dashboard. i keep it dialed in to dual time & weather. thank you steve jobs!
    Last edited by botto; 03-18-07 at 03:02 PM.

  7. #7
    Theodore Roosevelt's idol TheKillerPenguin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Vagabond
    My Bikes
    Affirmative
    Posts
    8,974
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patentcad
    I hear he's a 2. A 'strong Cat 2'. I'm a Cat 4 for life. To me there's no such thing as a 'weak Cat 2'.

    I had the pizza already.

    By the way all the local races (Central Park and Bethel) were cancelled due to the Friday night into Saturday snow storm. The roads should be all normal and clear by next weekend.
    You talkin bout ben?
    Masochism is a training adaptation.

  8. #8
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,275
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patentcad
    To me there's no such thing as a 'weak Cat 2'.
    we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, seeing as i had the points to be a cat 2 once, but KNEW i'd never be anything more than pack fill.

  9. #9
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    55,759
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
    You talkin bout ben?
    In order to know this individual's name several requirements would have to be met:

    • I would need sufficient wind to conduct a conversation with him

    • I would have to be close enough to him to have that conversation

    • I would have to subsequently be prepared to have some dude young enough to be my own kid calling me 'sir' every other sentence (he's in the army after all)

    None of that is very likely to happen KP. He's the skinny Cat 2 kid to me. I know he's a kid, I don't know if he's a 2. That's what I hear. But he rides like a 2.

    He was tall. He was fit. I got tired of trying to hold his wheel on Knickerbocker Road and peeled off at one point. There are two kinds of riders who take pulls like that: Freds from Hell (fast Freds) and Cat 2's who are bored on the Old Guy Sunday Ride.

  10. #10
    Theodore Roosevelt's idol TheKillerPenguin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Vagabond
    My Bikes
    Affirmative
    Posts
    8,974
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ben is the West Point kid that rides a sexy lookin red Cervelo. Recognize that bike?
    Masochism is a training adaptation.

  11. #11
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    55,759
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
    Ben is the West Point kid that rides a sexy lookin red Cervelo. Recognize that bike?
    Cervelos aren't sexy, they're dopey, but yes, this kid was like 6'3" tall and looked like he weighed about 160lbs (Powerbars included). Big honkin red Cervelo. Is that the same Ben? Is he a 2? If he's not I predict he will be.

    Don't ask me why I hate Cervelos. Pure asthetics. And I don't like the name 'Cervelo'. Maybe Cervelos aren't dopey, but I AM.

  12. #12
    Theodore Roosevelt's idol TheKillerPenguin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Vagabond
    My Bikes
    Affirmative
    Posts
    8,974
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cervelos could be playboy centerfolds, you don't know what chu talkin bout.

    Yeah, that's Ben! I talked to him when we were trading pulls the last time I was down there. He's a strong ass 3 who I'm sure is gonna be a 2 by the end of the season.
    Masochism is a training adaptation.

  13. #13
    Raising the Abyss celticfrost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    TTing on the MUP
    My Bikes
    Expensive ones that I ride slowly
    Posts
    3,776
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patentcad
    ... the nice heated Piermont bike shop felt GREAT today when I walked in after the ride (I leave my shoes/car keys there, use their bathroom).
    Geez man, when is Cannondale going to start installing heated handle bars and seats?!

    I grew up in upstate/ Hudson Valley NY and "spring" just doesn't exist there anymore.
    "...in Las Vegas where -the electric bills are staggering -the decor hog wild -and the entertainment saccharine -what a golden age -what a time of right and reason -the consumer's king -and unhappiness is treason..."

  14. #14
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    55,759
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by celticfrost
    Geez man, when is Cannondale going to start installing heated handle bars and seats?!

    I grew up in upstate/ Hudson Valley NY and "spring" just doesn't exist there anymore.
    Yes it does. But it generally doesn't really get warmer until April 8-15 or so. Or later. But temps are supposed to be in the 50-60 range by Friday. It's coming. On the other hand I remember going out a week before Memorial Day and being amazed it was only 43 in the AM. Oh well. After riding in 15-30 temps all winter, that's fine.

  15. #15
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    55,759
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
    cervelos could be playboy centerfolds, you don't know what chu talkin bout.

    Yeah, that's Ben! I talked to him when we were trading pulls the last time I was down there. He's a strong ass 3 who I'm sure is gonna be a 2 by the end of the season.
    The fact that you actually had enough wind to conduct a conversation while trading pulls with this guy says more about the superiority of your VeeOhTwo-osity over mine than anything else.

  16. #16
    Raising the Abyss celticfrost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    TTing on the MUP
    My Bikes
    Expensive ones that I ride slowly
    Posts
    3,776
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patentcad
    Yes it does. But it generally doesn't really get warmer until April 8-15 or so. Or later. But temps are supposed to be in the 50-60 range by Friday. It's coming. On the other hand I remember going out a week before Memorial Day and being amazed it was only 43 in the AM. Oh well. After riding in 15-30 temps all winter, that's fine.
    Hmmmmm, I guess it's just my "selective memory" (I learnt them big words in another thread) kicking in. But I do hear ya -- this was my 1st winter in Denver, and despite the record cold January, it was all relative when compared to upstate NY/ Albany.

    Stay safe.
    "...in Las Vegas where -the electric bills are staggering -the decor hog wild -and the entertainment saccharine -what a golden age -what a time of right and reason -the consumer's king -and unhappiness is treason..."

  17. #17
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    55,759
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by celticfrost
    Hmmmmm, I guess it's just my "selective memory" (I learnt them big words in another thread) kicking in. But I do hear ya -- this was my 1st winter in Denver, and despite the record cold January, it was all relative when compared to upstate NY/ Albany.

    Stay safe.
    Denver weather is relatively mild in the winter compared with the Hudson Valley or particularly Albany (that's more the upper Hudson Valley, we're 100+ miles closer to NY City here). Generally you get an awful lot of days in the Denver (outside the mountains that is) area with daily highs in the 40+ range. You don't seem to get these stretches of 4+ weeks where the temps never break 30. We had about 5-6 weeks of that this winter. Warmer than normal in December/early January, 10-15 below normal from mid January to early March. Was that your experience on the Front Range there this winter?

  18. #18
    Raising the Abyss celticfrost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    TTing on the MUP
    My Bikes
    Expensive ones that I ride slowly
    Posts
    3,776
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patentcad
    Denver weather is relatively mild in the winter compared with the Hudson Valley or particularly Albany (that's more the upper Hudson Valley, we're 100+ miles closer to NY City here). Generally you get an awful lot of days in the Denver (outside the mountains that is) area with daily highs in the 40+ range. You don't seem to get these stretches of 4+ weeks where the temps never break 30. We had about 5-6 weeks of that this winter. Warmer than normal in December/early January, 10-15 below normal from mid January to early March. Was that your experience on the Front Range there this winter?
    pcad, basically everyone here (in Denver) tells me that this winter was an anomoly. I think I need to spend another year here to find out if they're telling the truth or if they're just mutant pods trying to brainwash me .

    But, in general, the winter nights are colder than upstate (or lower Hudson Valley) NY, but I'm in bed or indoors by then. During the day, the sun pops out and it warms up nice & toasty. Since mid February I would guesstimate that the average high has been in the mid 50's to low 60's. The past week has been great, with sunny highs in the high 60's to mid 70's. And it has stayed pretty snow-free since late January. I've lived in the south and west coast as well and although no place is close to perfect, this is pretty close.

    All y'all should come here for some high altitude late winter/ early spring training.
    Last edited by celticfrost; 03-18-07 at 09:57 PM.
    "...in Las Vegas where -the electric bills are staggering -the decor hog wild -and the entertainment saccharine -what a golden age -what a time of right and reason -the consumer's king -and unhappiness is treason..."

  19. #19
    Slow'n'Aero DrWJODonnell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Driving the pace in the crosswind
    Posts
    2,599
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.westwoodvelo.com/showthre...=2857#post2857

    A teammate's recount of the Nyack ride today. He talks about Ben in there a bit.

  20. #20
    Slow'n'Aero DrWJODonnell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Driving the pace in the crosswind
    Posts
    2,599
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patentcad
    Cervelos aren't sexy, they're dopey, but yes, this kid was like 6'3" tall and looked like he weighed about 160lbs (Powerbars included). Big honkin red Cervelo. Is that the same Ben? Is he a 2? If he's not I predict he will be.

    Don't ask me why I hate Cervelos. Pure asthetics. And I don't like the name 'Cervelo'. Maybe Cervelos aren't dopey, but I AM.
    Patentcad. I was liking you. Maybe even thinking of giving you a pull or an extra gu sometime, but now you've gone ahead and made me angry. And you don't want to see what happens when a guy on a sexy red cervelo gets ANGRY!



  21. #21
    Making a kilometer blurry waterrockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin (near TX)
    My Bikes
    rkwaki's porn collection
    Posts
    25,579
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, good job, and +1 to the pizza

    Quote Originally Posted by patentcad
    To me there's no such thing as a 'weak Cat 2'.
    Well, it's regional. When I was in my 2nd month as a Cat 4, coming from CO, I got 3rd in an open crit in San Antonio, ahead of 6 Cat 2s. No way I could have pulled that crap in Boulder. You're right though, these 2s weren't "weak," but they weren't blazing or anything.

    These days TX has gotten a lot faster, but I'm sure you can still compare regions and see trends. You can gain points locally, and get your upgrade...

  22. #22
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    55,759
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWJODonnell
    Patentcad. I was liking you. Maybe even thinking of giving you a pull or an extra gu sometime, but now you've gone ahead and made me angry. And you don't want to see what happens when a guy on a sexy red cervelo gets ANGRY!



    God help me. I've pissed of Dr. Bill. I take it all back. Now my legs are starting to hurt again. The Advil WAS working.

    Look Dr., in my original post, I do admit it may be my own dopiness. Those Cervelos are fast bikes particularly if you're on board : ).

    On the other hand you will find that on any ride we're both on my superior wheel sucking ability will compell you to either tow me up the road or simply drop me, both of which will probably transpire.

  23. #23
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    55,759
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWJODonnell
    http://www.westwoodvelo.com/showthre...=2857#post2857

    A teammate's recount of the Nyack ride today. He talks about Ben in there a bit.
    Thanks for that link. Kuria was riding very strong today. The speed may have been lower than normal (it was cold, windy, tiptoeing around snow in the road) but the ride wasn't easy. It never really is. Particularly on Dog Meat Day. Ooofaaaa.

    I'm sure I'll feel better next weekend. Hopefully. We may make it to Branchbrook next Saturday if my friend Don is in town...

  24. #24
    Gios my baby hiromian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    My Bikes
    Gios 96, Mercier 72, Peugeot 74 X 2, Sears full suspension High rise banana seat, Kona 94, CCM Rambler 70s.
    Posts
    1,135
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beer and Zaa is your friend. Good work out there.
    "Aiyah...Oh no"

  25. #25
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    55,759
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by celticfrost
    pcad, basically everyone here (in Denver) tells me that this winter was an anomoly. I think I need to spend another year here to find out if they're telling the truth or if they're just mutant pods trying to brainwash me .

    But, in general, the winter nights are colder than upstate (or lower Hudson Valley) NY, but I'm in bed or indoors by then. During the day, the sun pops out and it warms up nice & toasty.
    That's typical Colorado. I used to go skiing out there every winter and I always noted how much warmer things were in the flatlands around Denver. Up in Aspen or Crested Butte it's 20 colder, but if you live in and around Denver, Colo Springs, etc, it's very rideable all winter, in between the occasional monster blizzard. Snowstorms only suspend riding for a day or two. Cold weather is tougher. The real killer is a big snowstorm in midwinter followed by a few days of 10 days and -5 nights. I don't think they get that combo too often in Colorado outside the high mtns, but that's typical in the Hudson Valley at some point every winter.

    On the other hand back in 1990 I saw the Aspenites riding their MTB's all winter with chains on the tires over the perpetual snowpack (it doesn't get down to blacktop there for months all winter). Where there's a will, there is a way. I won't ride my MTB with chains on snowpack, but there aren't too many winter days that I'm off the bike. I averaged 5-6 days weekly this winter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •