Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Gios my baby hiromian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    My Bikes
    Gios 96, Mercier 72, Peugeot 74 X 2, Sears full suspension High rise banana seat, Kona 94, CCM Rambler 70s.
    Posts
    1,135
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Embarrassed again

    My first Road race was Sundays training Road Race. It’s 54 KM in 6 laps, this course is all hills. No flats. Blustery winds. The race was lead out of town with a pace car (classy) to get from the staging area to the start of the race which was at the bottom of the longest climb, 4 KM I guess. The finish was at the top of the same climb. I’m in the C group. 4/5s. .

    Lap 1. The pace car peals off and we go. I ride along chillin in the pack. The climb steepens and I shift to the granny. The chain falls off to the inside and I stop and put it back on. All go by plus some cars and a truck. The pack is about a football field length up hill ahead. I have to red-line it for 5 minuets in the climb to get back in it. This is the first leg of my first road race ever and the first race of the season. I get back to the pack at the top of the hill and enjoy the rolling curvy decent in the pack. My heart rate simmers down and my breathing becomes less auditable.

    Lap 2. Back on the long climb and I hang in with much effort. Some of the shorter climbs spread out throughout the course are taking their toll on me but I hang in. I was off the bike for three weeks sick and only got back on last week. This fact is becoming apparent now.

    Lap 3. The long climb is here. I stay in it. Near the top it feels like the brakes are stuck on. I honestly check to see. They are ok, it’s me that isn’t. Along the rollers at the top of the climb I am off the back a bit. No problem, I will catch them at the next corner, they always slow at the corner, I’m only 20 m off but I should not be burning myself out in the head wind now after that climb.

    Lap 4. I’m alone now. 20 m became more not less. Wondering what to do. It’s a nice day, the best day in weeks. I’m here, the course is awesome. I can corner full out with traffic control. I decide to ride. I puke a little bit in my mouth. I pass another OTB guy. He must have dropped soon after I did. At the long climb a girl rides up to my rear. She must have gone off the back before I did and now she has caught me. We talk a bit and trade pulls. I see some racers on the side of the road. Dropped out.

    Lap 5. She and I go around uneventful like and then the A group laps us on one of the short climbs. I thing of beauty that. Later on the big climb near the top the B group goes by. A guy says I can catch on at the back if I want. We are at the top of the long climb so I try and succeed to do a full lap with these guys. My lady partner does not. Riding with the Bs. Nice smooth fast cornering.

    Lap 6. I keep up on the long climb with the Bs. Why could I not do that with the Cs?
    I go around again with the B’s. Happy. They loose me on the big climb this time. I cross the finish solo.
    "Aiyah...Oh no"

  2. #2
    Oh The Huge Manatee Lithuania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    mabra
    Posts
    4,528
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hiromian
    Along the rollers at the top of the climb I am off the back a bit. No problem, I will catch them at the next corner, they always slow at the corner, Iím only 20 m off but I should not be burning myself out in the head wind now after that climb.
    I know exactly what you feel like here. Ive made this mistake a few times now in races and fast rides. Ive learned you gotta do whatever it takes to get back on that wheel.

    At least it was a training race and you got to latch on to some faster riders. That must have felt cool.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    custom built roadie
    Posts
    756
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by riskus
    Ive made this mistake a few times now in races and fast rides. Ive learned you gotta do whatever it takes to get back on that wheel.

    so true. i learned that on my first race some weeks ago.

  4. #4
    Used to be a climber.. GuitarWizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    North Providence, RI
    My Bikes
    None at the moment
    Posts
    6,821
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well...at least you didn't crash.
    1999 Trek 2500 - hit by a car on it in May, 2011 and currently bikeless

  5. #5
    Gios my baby hiromian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    My Bikes
    Gios 96, Mercier 72, Peugeot 74 X 2, Sears full suspension High rise banana seat, Kona 94, CCM Rambler 70s.
    Posts
    1,135
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarWizard
    Well...at least you didn't crash.
    True. Puking a bit was new to me though.
    "Aiyah...Oh no"

  6. #6
    Gios my baby hiromian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    My Bikes
    Gios 96, Mercier 72, Peugeot 74 X 2, Sears full suspension High rise banana seat, Kona 94, CCM Rambler 70s.
    Posts
    1,135
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by riskus
    I know exactly what you feel like here. Ive made this mistake a few times now in races and fast rides. Ive learned you gotta do whatever it takes to get back on that wheel.

    At least it was a training race and you got to latch on to some faster riders. That must have felt cool.

    That in it's self was very cool. The coarse was so nice. I just want to go do it again.
    "Aiyah...Oh no"

  7. #7
    100% Fred LanceFanBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    My Bikes
    2005 Trek 1500 - Postal Service Edition
    Posts
    843
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was also in a smaller race, but like yours had Cs, Bs, and As. I was in the Cs, (4 people what a group!) 2 guys and 2 women. We dropped the women on the first hill, he burst out in front of me for some reason, and we both got stuck in the open wind and the Bs caught up to me first, and I rode 15 miles with them until about 2 miles from the end of the race, we caugh tthe other guy about 2 miles after I got caught. Such a different experience. Our C group sucked and it hurt our times.
    http://dev.sharpcut.net/bikewire/010...468x60_001.gif
    A website I built with Free Networking, Stats, Photos, Blogs, and more specifically for cyclists.

  8. #8
    Young and unconcerned Treefox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Merry Land
    My Bikes
    Yeah, I got a few.
    Posts
    4,131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my first TT (the first competitive anything I did), towards the end I was debating the most effective way to vomit off a moving bicycle. I never did come up with a good plan, as I fortunately finished before puking. What would people have recommended?
    Die schokoladenseite des radfahrens.

  9. #9
    Aut Vincere Aut Mori Snuffleupagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    My Bikes
    Irish Cycles Tir na Nog, Jack Kane Team Racing, Fuji Aloha 1.0, GT Karakoram, Motobecane Fly Team
    Posts
    4,166
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't stop when you drop your chain.

    Shift your front derailleur to the opposite setting, and slowly pedal until your chain catches. Unless it's a super gnarly climb you should be able to accomplish this before you run out of momentum. Or you could just little ring it before the climb to be safe

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    711
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hiromian
    I puke a little bit in my mouth.
    Friggin hilarious, man!

    Courageous ride - congrats! - I'll look forward to this experience someday.

  11. #11
    Blue Straggler Starclimber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Delta
    My Bikes
    Miele Pisasheeta, Airborne Thunderbolt
    Posts
    1,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing like a mouth full of puke...remember next time, chew slowly and thoughtfully...savour the nausea...store the sick misery in your memory for the next race, be ready to unleash it on your hapless victims...
    Coach Bill

  12. #12
    Now Racer Ex Vinokurtov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,709
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice effort!

    Vino too was OTB in his first road races. Vino thought he would get back on and didn't. Vino never puked, but he did spit out a partially masticated Powerbar he tried to eat on the 15% part of Alpe d' Huez and began inhaling instead. And Vino dropped many, many chains during races. Now Vino suggests:

    http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/COMPCHDEF/CH5800

    Even the pros use them...
    "I may not be as strong as I think I am, but I know many tricks, and I have resolution" - Santiago

  13. #13
    RacingBear UmneyDurak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    8,054
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinokurtov
    Nice effort!

    Vino too was OTB in his first road races. Vino thought he would get back on and didn't. Vino never puked, but he did spit out a partially masticated Powerbar he tried to eat on the 15% part of Alpe d' Huez and began inhaling instead. And Vino dropped many, many chains during races. Now Vino suggests:

    http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/COMPCHDEF/CH5800

    Even the pros use them...
    Does Vino has it on his bike and can post pictures?
    I see hills.... Bring them on!!!
    Stay calm and bring a towel.

  14. #14
    Now Racer Ex Vinokurtov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,709
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
    Does Vino has it on his bike and can post pictures?
    Vino does, but has to get out the door to train. Vino can provide this link though:

    http://www.bikeman.com/thepit/singleringsetup1.htm

    Vino found snow outside this morning BTW. Vino will be cold and whiney today.
    "I may not be as strong as I think I am, but I know many tricks, and I have resolution" - Santiago

  15. #15
    Gios my baby hiromian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    My Bikes
    Gios 96, Mercier 72, Peugeot 74 X 2, Sears full suspension High rise banana seat, Kona 94, CCM Rambler 70s.
    Posts
    1,135
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus
    Don't stop when you drop your chain.

    Shift your front derailleur to the opposite setting, and slowly pedal until your chain catches. Unless it's a super gnarly climb you should be able to accomplish this before you run out of momentum. Or you could just little ring it before the climb to be safe
    I tried that but it did not catch. Too steep and not enouph momentum to even reach down with my hand to snag it back on. I burned way to many candels getting back with the group, thats for sure. The panic. The adreniline. People in the peleton were asking if I was ok because I was breathing so hard when I caught back on.
    "Aiyah...Oh no"

  16. #16
    Gios my baby hiromian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    My Bikes
    Gios 96, Mercier 72, Peugeot 74 X 2, Sears full suspension High rise banana seat, Kona 94, CCM Rambler 70s.
    Posts
    1,135
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinokurtov
    Vino does, but has to get out the door to train. Vino can provide this link though:

    http://www.bikeman.com/thepit/singleringsetup1.htm

    Vino found snow outside this morning BTW. Vino will be cold and whiney today.
    Vino is talking in the 3rd person. Vino is nuts.

    Vino: I almost sprinkled the term Kowabunga throuought my report but thought better of it as that is your word not mine.

    Vino: I looked at the plastic thingy that you suggested and the first thought that came to mind was DORK DISK. You still want to admit to having one? I would rather puke a little bit in my mouth than install that thing.
    "Aiyah...Oh no"

  17. #17
    Gios my baby hiromian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    My Bikes
    Gios 96, Mercier 72, Peugeot 74 X 2, Sears full suspension High rise banana seat, Kona 94, CCM Rambler 70s.
    Posts
    1,135
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinokurtov[B
    Nice effort[/B]

    Vino too was OTB in his first road races. Vino thought he would get back on and didn't. Vino never puked, but he did spit out a partially masticated Powerbar he tried to eat on the 15% part of Alpe d' Huez and began inhaling instead. And Vino dropped many, many chains during races. Now Vino suggests:

    http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/COMPCHDEF/CH5800

    Even the pros use them...
    Thanks
    "Aiyah...Oh no"

  18. #18
    Now Racer Ex Vinokurtov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,709
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hiromian
    Vino: I looked at the plastic thingy that you suggested and the first thought that came to mind was DORK DISK. You still want to admit to having one? I would rather puke a little bit in my mouth than install that thing.
    Vino wishes for you to closely examine this picture:



    Vino then wishes for you to go up to the rider of said machine and disgorge ridicule upon his personage, and of his fans. Vino hopes you can run fast.

    And Vino will point out that his Dog Fang is cooler than the rider above's Dog Fang, Vino substituting an anodized aluminum bolt for the cheap sheet metal screw, saving .5 grams.

    Vino also cuts his finger and toenails before climbing races.

    Vino might well be nuts.

    Vino is going to watch the new South Park now.
    Last edited by Vinokurtov; 03-21-07 at 10:27 PM.
    "I may not be as strong as I think I am, but I know many tricks, and I have resolution" - Santiago

  19. #19
    Used to be a climber.. GuitarWizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    North Providence, RI
    My Bikes
    None at the moment
    Posts
    6,821
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus
    Don't stop when you drop your chain.

    Shift your front derailleur to the opposite setting, and slowly pedal until your chain catches. Unless it's a super gnarly climb you should be able to accomplish this before you run out of momentum. Or you could just little ring it before the climb to be safe
    When I would drop my chain on a fairly regular basis with the 50/34 setup (have only done so once with the 50/36 now), I was able to do the shift-and-lightly-pedal thing to get the chain back on the small 'ring exactly once. It would never catch for whatever reason, and would end up having to unclip and stop before I fell over.

    Just bought the chain catcher thing that Vino posted up for the race bike.
    1999 Trek 2500 - hit by a car on it in May, 2011 and currently bikeless

  20. #20
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,335
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinokurtov
    Vino wishes for you to closely examine this picture:



    Vino then wishes for you to go up to the rider of said machine and disgorge ridicule upon his personage, and of his fans. Vino hopes you can run fast.

    And Vino will point out that his Dog Fang is cooler than the rider above's Dog Fang, Vino substituting an anodized aluminum bolt for the cheap sheet metal screw, saving .5 grams.

    Vino also cuts his finger and toenails before climbing races.

    Vino might well be nuts.

    Vino is going to watch the new South Park now.
    if vino continues to refer to himself in the 3rd person, he is certifiably, pantaniesque nuts.

  21. #21
    Je pose, donc je suis. gcl8a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Odense, Denmark
    Posts
    1,463
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hiromian
    I cross the finish solo.
    Did you at least remember to zip up for the cameras?

  22. #22
    Now Racer Ex Vinokurtov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,709
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botto
    if vino continues to refer to himself in the 3rd person, he is certifiably, pantaniesque nuts.
    Vino removes his diamond nose stud and tosses it at Botto.
    "I may not be as strong as I think I am, but I know many tricks, and I have resolution" - Santiago

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •