Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-21-07, 07:53 PM   #1
joshalope
Shut up and pedal!
Thread Starter
 
joshalope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Queens, NY
Bikes: Custom Steel made by Alliance, Cannondale Capo, Kona Unit, Bridgestone RB, Ridley Triton
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so proud

I went out for a racing-club coaching session this morning and during a double pace line, I got paired up with the coach. Anyway, we were chatting, and he asked me what Cat I race (5), and then replied, "Well from the looks of it you won't be a 5 for too long," implying my strength on the bike. I got into bike riding just about a year ago (March 14 of '06 to be exact) to help bring my body back from 9 months of chemotherapy, and I got hooked about a mile into my first ride. Now I'm gearing up for the season (I already have 1 race under my belt), and it felt great to receive a compliment like that from a coach I met for the first time today.
joshalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 09:13 PM   #2
bodaciousguy
faster than your mom
 
bodaciousguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CA, USA
Bikes: R600, Specialized Tarmac Pro, Prophet w/ X0 components.
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You want a cookie? How about a star sticker? I'm just kidding. I too feel all childish, giddy, and happy inside when I get compliments.
bodaciousguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 09:16 PM   #3
garysol1 
Senior Member
 
garysol1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: K-Zoo Michigan
Bikes:
Posts: 10,126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congrats Jo. Like you, I started riding for my health a couple of years ago. Never did I imagine back then that riding would be such an important part of who I am. We are all proud of you. Keep it up
__________________
Trek Emonda SLR8 USA Built
Trek Stache 7 Its a hoot!
Specialized AWOL Mile Muncher
Specialized Fatboy Trail Miles of Smiles
garysol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 09:18 PM   #4
zimbo
Senior Member
 
zimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North Carolina
Bikes:
Posts: 2,040
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, with your skill I'm guessing that within just 10 races you should be ready to upgrade to a 4!!

j/k. It's cool to have people say stuff like that.

--Steve
zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 09:59 PM   #5
hiromian
Gios my baby
 
hiromian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes: Gios 96, Mercier 72, Peugeot 74 X 2, Sears full suspension High rise banana seat, Kona 94, CCM Rambler 70s.
Posts: 1,135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nice. Pride is a sin though is it not? Anyway. Nothing wrong with a bit of pride around here. Congrats on being on a bike for a year and finding a positive way to progress especialy from Chemo.
hiromian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 10:57 PM   #6
urbanknight
In beaurocratic limbo
 
urbanknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Bikes: Specialized Allez, K2 Razorback
Posts: 22,456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Could be a coach hoping to drum up more membership, but even that's a compliment if he wants you on his team, right?
urbanknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 11:12 PM   #7
PYRITE
Pack fodder...
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Bikes:
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congrat's ! On Sunday after my erratic pacing,riding off the front, and outclimbing the group on hills my coach said "You are gonna get SO dropped in races this year..."
PYRITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 03:07 AM   #8
joshalope
Shut up and pedal!
Thread Starter
 
joshalope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Queens, NY
Bikes: Custom Steel made by Alliance, Cannondale Capo, Kona Unit, Bridgestone RB, Ridley Triton
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaciousguy
You want a cookie? How about a star sticker? I'm just kidding. I too feel all childish, giddy, and happy inside when I get compliments.
Yeah man, I kinda do want a cookie. I was giddy as a school girl.
joshalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 03:13 AM   #9
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshalope
Yeah man, I kinda do want a cookie. I was giddy as a school girl.
probably why the coach used that line on you.
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 04:04 AM   #10
blonduathlongrl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 4,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
good for you! Im sure that felt awesome!!
blonduathlongrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 04:06 AM   #11
Davey
Peeled out too late
 
Davey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got yelled at by DJ during that session for going too hard at the front. But I really like Dave Jordan's no-nonsense style. Really gets the point across.
Davey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 06:20 AM   #12
joshalope
Shut up and pedal!
Thread Starter
 
joshalope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Queens, NY
Bikes: Custom Steel made by Alliance, Cannondale Capo, Kona Unit, Bridgestone RB, Ridley Triton
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ouch. If you'll excuse me I'm gonna go hide under my table and sulk now.
joshalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 06:23 AM   #13
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic
 
DrPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9
Posts: 17,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congrats, joshalope. Definitely something to be proud of. I remember feeling the same way the first time I got referred to as "one of the fast guys" on our club ride. Granted everything is relative and I'm not all that fast, but it still felt good.
__________________
"Unless he was racing there was no way he could match my speed."
DrPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 08:49 AM   #14
goodall
draw line at carbon forks
 
goodall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Bikes: Cannondale CAAD6 w/ 105, Fuji Track Pro, Windsor Cliff 4900
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kind of a weird compliment, considering you only have to START ten races to get out of Cat5, it's not like it requires skill or strength. But I think he meant well. I remember when a fit expert told me my thighs were so developed that I looked like I was riding knees in, when technically I wasn't.

Joshalope, do you have a handle on the good racing teams in Queens? Kissena looks good, any others? I'll likely be moving there this summer.
goodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 09:15 AM   #15
MDcatV
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 6,760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope you enjoy racing and are successful with it. I also hope you have no need for any chemotherapy in the future.
MDcatV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 09:25 AM   #16
El Diablo Rojo
Banned.
 
El Diablo Rojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ATX, Ex So Cal
Bikes: Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu
Posts: 11,058
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaciousguy
You want a cookie? How about a star sticker? I'm just kidding. I too feel all childish, giddy, and happy inside when I get compliments.
I'm not a big fan of cookies, how about some pie?
El Diablo Rojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 09:28 AM   #17
Ghostman
Struggling at the Back
 
Ghostman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: DC Suburbs
Bikes: Bianchi Virata, Gunnar Crosshairs
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm surprised how snarky some of the replies to the OP were. The fact that you're out there kicking butt 9 months after chemo makes you awesome, period, end of story. Keep at it and best of luck.
Ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 09:44 AM   #18
joshalope
Shut up and pedal!
Thread Starter
 
joshalope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Queens, NY
Bikes: Custom Steel made by Alliance, Cannondale Capo, Kona Unit, Bridgestone RB, Ridley Triton
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodall
Kind of a weird compliment, considering you only have to START ten races to get out of Cat5, it's not like it requires skill or strength. But I think he meant well. I remember when a fit expert told me my thighs were so developed that I looked like I was riding knees in, when technically I wasn't.

Joshalope, do you have a handle on the good racing teams in Queens? Kissena looks good, any others? I'll likely be moving there this summer.
I'm new to Queens myself (since August) and most of the city cycling culture/pals that I have experience revolves around Manhattan (even the bike shops, because the 2 near my house suck). So far, riding in Queens has been solo. 2 Weeks ago though, I raced in a spring series event along with some guys from the Kissena club and spent some time hanging out with them after the race, they seem pretty cool, although I couldn't tell you more than that. My advice would be to join the Century Road Club Association (CRCA), and be on the lookout for sub-teams (which is what I've done). It's a racing club, not just a bike club, and you have access to all sorts of free coaching (like the stuff I had that sparked this thread). Or you can be the first member of my club,

"The Queens Tough Club" - Kings of the Road Since 1982

Anyway Queens is a neat place to cycle because depending on where you are, there is relatively easy access to Central Park for some quick loops if you're pressed for time, but you've also got access to Long Island for putting on some miles. I myself will go into New Jersey when I have a day free, which is really nice riding, and I know almost all the good bagel spots in Bergen County also. Send me a PM when you get here and we'll go riding. If you don't mind me asking, what part of Queens?
joshalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 09:52 AM   #19
joshalope
Shut up and pedal!
Thread Starter
 
joshalope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Queens, NY
Bikes: Custom Steel made by Alliance, Cannondale Capo, Kona Unit, Bridgestone RB, Ridley Triton
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostman
I'm surprised how snarky some of the replies to the OP were. The fact that you're out there kicking butt 9 months after chemo makes you awesome, period, end of story. Keep at it and best of luck.
Thanks for the ego-booster man. Although I must say that I kinda enjoy the proverbial cornucopia of snark on these forums. Keeps me on my toes. Plus I can only assume that in BikeForums, as in life, those who are most sarcastic tend to be so in an effort to compensate for something they lack (lactic threshold, endurance or perhaps penile capabilities?)
joshalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 09:55 AM   #20
NoRacer
Isaias
 
NoRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Essex, MD
Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
Posts: 5,178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good for you, especially after having to come back from chemo treatments, something that seemed to be lost to many in reply.
NoRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 10:15 AM   #21
deyendznyr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Josh,
Welcome to the CRCA. Are you racing on Saturday?
deyendznyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 10:27 AM   #22
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic
 
DrPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9
Posts: 17,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostman
The fact that you're out there kicking butt 9 months after chemo makes you awesome, period, end of story. Keep at it and best of luck.
+ 1,000,000,000,000.
__________________
"Unless he was racing there was no way he could match my speed."
DrPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 10:28 AM   #23
goodall
draw line at carbon forks
 
goodall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Bikes: Cannondale CAAD6 w/ 105, Fuji Track Pro, Windsor Cliff 4900
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshalope
I'm new to Queens myself (since August) and most of the city cycling culture/pals that I have experience revolves around Manhattan (even the bike shops, because the 2 near my house suck). So far, riding in Queens has been solo. 2 Weeks ago though, I raced in a spring series event along with some guys from the Kissena club and spent some time hanging out with them after the race, they seem pretty cool, although I couldn't tell you more than that. My advice would be to join the Century Road Club Association (CRCA), and be on the lookout for sub-teams (which is what I've done). It's a racing club, not just a bike club, and you have access to all sorts of free coaching (like the stuff I had that sparked this thread). Or you can be the first member of my club,

"The Queens Tough Club" - Kings of the Road Since 1982

Anyway Queens is a neat place to cycle because depending on where you are, there is relatively easy access to Central Park for some quick loops if you're pressed for time, but you've also got access to Long Island for putting on some miles. I myself will go into New Jersey when I have a day free, which is really nice riding, and I know almost all the good bagel spots in Bergen County also. Send me a PM when you get here and we'll go riding. If you don't mind me asking, what part of Queens?

Thanks for the info, the Queens Tough Club is a totally bada-- name, i'm going to have to steal that! I'm trying to get a job with city in transportation or transit, which have a lot of operations in Long Island City. My wife paints and LIC has a lot of studio space, so we want to live close by, like maybe in Sunnyside? I really don't know that much about the neighborhoods. Just somewhere somewhat cheap, somewhat safe, and lots of immigrants. Do you have any recommendations? I'm psyched to get out to Kissena, from what little track racing I've done I much prefer it to road racing. I'll definitely PM you once I get out there.
goodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 10:42 AM   #24
deyendznyr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodall
I really don't know that much about the neighborhoods. Just somewhere somewhat cheap, somewhat safe, and lots of immigrants.
That's all of Queens.
Forest Hills is very safe and close to the Kissena Velodrome. It's not the cheapest part of Queens, but it's no where near Manhattan prices either.
deyendznyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 12:52 PM   #25
goodall
draw line at carbon forks
 
goodall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Bikes: Cannondale CAAD6 w/ 105, Fuji Track Pro, Windsor Cliff 4900
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deyendznyr
That's all of Queens.
Forest Hills is very safe and close to the Kissena Velodrome. It's not the cheapest part of Queens, but it's no where near Manhattan prices either.
I've got a friend who's lived in Rego Park her whole life, that's like right next to Forest Hills. I'll have to give her a call, that could be a good halfway point between Manhattan and the Velodrome.
goodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:59 AM.