Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-22-07, 10:41 AM   #1
Ghostman
Struggling at the Back
Thread Starter
 
Ghostman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: DC Suburbs
Bikes: Bianchi Virata, Gunnar Crosshairs
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1986 Tour de France

I have been laid up the last two days with strep throat, which pretty much killed the "build week" I had planned this week. Anyway, to amuse myself yesterday I watched the World Cycling Productions 1986 Greg Lemond Tour de France video.

It is 55 minutes and is more like a "Wide World of Sports" episode than a race video. They do not spend much time showing the actual racing but it is still well worth watching. Many interesting things:

1. It is the first Tour in which Phil Liggett is joined by Paul Sherwen. Sherwen is very young and unpolished and his accent is completely different than the way he speaks today (much more working class British back then). It's cool, 20 years later, watching Phil introduce "young Paul Sherwen" and knowing that these guys will form the greatest commentary team in sports, in my opinion.

2. It is the Tour when 7-11 first raced in Europe, although they do not spend much time focusing on that.

3. There is a great shot of Bob Roll leading a strung out peloton onto the Champs Elysees.

4. The background music goes from porn movie snytho to unlistenable 80's shmaltz. On two of the big heroic mountain stages when Hinault and LeMond are duking it out, they play "When the Going Get's Tough" by Billy Ocean!!!! Suffice it to say that this song has not aged well and completely erases the drama and majesty of those stages. Turn the sound off when you get to that part of the disc.

5. Hinault and LeMond ride across the Alpe d'Huez finish line together with hands clasped -- in a great PR shot, which looks actually like great sportsmanship. But then Hinault attacks LeMond again after that.

6. When Lemond is on the final podium in Paris, you will notice "mayor" Jacques Chirac congratulating him. Of course, Mr. Chirac would later have quite his fill of America's dominance of the world and of the Tour de France as well.
Ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 11:01 AM   #2
waterrockets 
Making a kilometer blurry
 
waterrockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Austin (near TX)
Bikes: rkwaki's porn collection
Posts: 26,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nice. Haven't seen it, thanks for the report.

Billy Ocean? <shudder>
waterrockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 11:08 AM   #3
YMCA
starting pistol means war
 
YMCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Bikes: Cervelo R3
Posts: 3,144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
As silly as the music is, that's what gives the video it's mid 80's feel. Embarassing yes, but timeless.
YMCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 11:21 AM   #4
Second Mouse
....gets the cheese
 
Second Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SLC, Utah
Bikes: Panasonic DX 2000, LeMond Reno, Canondale Caad 8
Posts: 2,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wasn't John Tesh responsible for a lot of that music?
Second Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 11:24 AM   #5
Ghostman
Struggling at the Back
Thread Starter
 
Ghostman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: DC Suburbs
Bikes: Bianchi Virata, Gunnar Crosshairs
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I forgot to mention that Lemond's ass is bigger than Queen Latifah's (and by this I mean no offense to the Queen).
Ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 01:12 PM   #6
DieselDan
Senior Member
 
DieselDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.
Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger
Posts: 8,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Mouse
Wasn't John Tesh responsible for a lot of that music?
DieselDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 02:16 PM   #7
transplant
this portrait of karma
 
transplant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: chicago
Bikes:
Posts: 1,238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
let us know when you've put it on youtube ^_^
transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 03:31 PM   #8
ri_us
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I loved that race! Music aside, the LeMond-Hinault battle was amazing!
ri_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 03:39 PM   #9
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Mouse
Wasn't John Tesh responsible for a lot of that music?
correct.
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 07:07 PM   #10
socalrider
Senior Member
 
socalrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Upland, CA
Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Surly Crosscheck Cyclocross bike, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If anyone is interested I have the full version of these older races.. I already converted them to dvd and edited all the commercials out.. These are euro live, cbs and abc coverage depending on the year.. They are usually 3 hours in length.. shoot me a pm

Last edited by socalrider; 03-22-07 at 07:14 PM.
socalrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 07:08 PM   #11
-VELOCITY-
Senior Member
 
-VELOCITY-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Miami, Florida
Bikes: Giant Revel 2 & Loco Fixie "The Marley"
Posts: 1,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So is this the first Tour that Lemond won?
-VELOCITY- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 07:08 PM   #12
Snuffleupagus
Aut Vincere Aut Mori
 
Snuffleupagus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Bikes: Irish Cycles Tir na Nog, Jack Kane Team Racing, Fuji Aloha 1.0, GT Karakoram, Motobecane Fly Team
Posts: 4,165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll vouch for socal's vids. They're killer trainer motivation.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 08:38 PM   #13
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Bikes:
Posts: 9,991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
oo, my big chance...again!

"VN" is the Velo News interviewer, and "KL" is Kathy Lemond




Nutty or legit?
531Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-07, 01:39 AM   #14
I saw Elvis
Senior Member
 
I saw Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Looking for some hills
Bikes: Colnago
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostman
Sherwen is very young and unpolished and his accent is completely different than the way he speaks today (much more working class British back then). It's cool, 20 years later, watching Phil introduce "young Paul Sherwen" and knowing that these guys will form the greatest commentary team in sports, in my opinion.
Have to say the way shagger Sherwens accent has changed over the years is a source of amusement to me, I think he's been having elocution lessons now he's a TV personality.
You're right though (I think it's a fact), they do form the greatest commentary team in sport.
I saw Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-07, 03:47 AM   #15
YMCA
starting pistol means war
 
YMCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Bikes: Cervelo R3
Posts: 3,144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The Kathy Lemond stories are completely realistic. Not sure Hinault would have wanted to tamper with Lemond's bike, but managers will sometimes do anything to help their cause.

Don't forget, sports at the Pro level are all about money. The difference between Hinault winning or taking second can be worth a lot of cash to the entire staff, sponsors, etc...
YMCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-07, 04:11 AM   #16
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostman
I have been laid up the last two days with strep throat, which pretty much killed the "build week" I had planned this week. Anyway, to amuse myself yesterday I watched the World Cycling Productions 1986 Greg Lemond Tour de France video.

It is 55 minutes and is more like a "Wide World of Sports" episode than a race video. They do not spend much time showing the actual racing but it is still well worth watching. Many interesting things:

1. It is the first Tour in which Phil Liggett is joined by Paul Sherwen. Sherwen is very young and unpolished and his accent is completely different than the way he speaks today (much more working class British back then). It's cool, 20 years later, watching Phil introduce "young Paul Sherwen" and knowing that
these guys will form the greatest commentary team in sports, in my opinion.

2. It is the Tour when 7-11 first raced in Europe, although they do not spend much time focusing on that.

3. There is a great shot of Bob Roll leading a strung out peloton onto the Champs Elysees.

4. The background music goes from porn movie snytho to unlistenable 80's shmaltz. On two of the big heroic mountain stages when Hinault and LeMond are duking it out, they play "When the Going Get's Tough" by Billy Ocean!!!! Suffice it to say that this song has not aged well and completely erases the drama and majesty of those stages. Turn the sound off when you get to that part of the disc.

5. Hinault and LeMond ride across the Alpe d'Huez finish line together with hands clasped -- in a great PR shot, which looks actually like great sportsmanship. But then Hinault attacks LeMond again after that.

6. When Lemond is on the final podium in Paris, you will notice "mayor" Jacques Chirac congratulating him. Of course, Mr. Chirac would later have quite his fill of America's dominance of the world and of the Tour de France as well.


X
X
X
X
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
X
X
X


X

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXX

X

X

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX


X



XXXXXXX XXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-07, 09:49 AM   #17
Keith99
Senior Member
 
Keith99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 531Aussie
oo, my big chance...again!

"VN" is the Velo News interviewer, and "KL" is Kathy Lemond




Nutty or legit?
A bit of both. The drug testing issue has an interesting historical spin. Merckx was disqualified in the 1969 Giro because of a drug test that he claims to this day was the result of his samples being tampered with. This was well into the Giro and he was leading. Later that year he destroyed everyone in the TDF, which he was allowed to enter because of irregularities in the Giro drug test.

So there were historical reasons to thing tampering could happen. But I find it hard to believe that Gregs own team as the team were out to get him. (That however does not eleminate the chance that one person might).
Keith99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-07, 09:58 AM   #18
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past
 
Voodoo76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Schertz TX
Bikes: Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Dolan PreCursa
Posts: 2,768
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith99
A bit of both. The drug testing issue has an interesting historical spin. Merckx was disqualified in the 1969 Giro because of a drug test that he claims to this day was the result of his samples being tampered with. This was well into the Giro and he was leading. Later that year he destroyed everyone in the TDF, which he was allowed to enter because of irregularities in the Giro drug test.

So there were historical reasons to thing tampering could happen. But I find it hard to believe that Gregs own team as the team were out to get him. (That however does not eleminate the chance that one person might).
Real or perceved, Greg had to win thinking his team was not 100% behind him. Wonder if Lance could have done the same? For the sake of argument say Mig and several trusty domestiqes are hired to ride for Postal in 99 to "help" Lance. Would have been an intresting tour.
Voodoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-07, 05:34 PM   #19
Keith99
Senior Member
 
Keith99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo76
Real or perceved, Greg had to win thinking his team was not 100% behind him. Wonder if Lance could have done the same? For the sake of argument say Mig and several trusty domestiqes are hired to ride for Postal in 99 to "help" Lance. Would have been an intresting tour.
Yes even perceved it does make it harder.

But it seems the American version is a bit out of line. Now by my standards Hinault did not honor his word. But neither did he ignore it. He found the one way he could sort of keep it and still have his own chance to win. He attacked with a vengence. It tore the field to pieces and Lemond hd only one rider to contend with, Hinault.

If you search the net you can find Andy Hampsten's account. It does point out the perception, yet also points out that the still popular American version is not accurate. Hampsten divides the La vie Claire team thus. Hampsten and Bauer (the Canadien) working for Lemond, Hinaults long time second in command working for Hinault, two veteran French riders riding like veterans and two poor swiss riders who were confuised as can be.

But Hampstens story makes it clear his perception going into the race was different. He recounts a stage where he busted his buns helping Lemond and blew up and was off the back. He figured he was toast, not one would come back to help. Long hard stage and his G.C. position gone. Then what does he see? The 2 French riders dropping back to pull him back to the peleton. That evening he went to thank them and say he hoped they were not in trouble and they looked at him like he was crazy. Their responce? You are in 4th place, that is 70,000 francs.

La vie Claire had a pretty good team result. 1,2 and 4 in the G.C. KOM Best young rider team championship. Only 2 other teams in the non-national teams Tours are at that level.

So it would seem the reality of what Greg was up against is overstated, but the perception at the time was really that bad.
Keith99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:06 AM.