Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-22-10, 04:26 PM   #5276
M_S
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 3,693
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They were under the bibs. They slid down. It happens sometimes, especially off road. It was also my first race wearing these new smartwool deals. On Sunday I pulled them up farther and they didn't slip. It was also a faster, smoother course. And no, I wasn't going to stop and hike them up in the middle of a race...

hey, the point is that I was suffering. During a race. And not even just from the fashion faux pas.
M_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 09:05 PM   #5277
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt
 
Grumpy McTrumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Binghamton, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 12,462
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
can't quite figure out how to ride this damn thing

Grumpy McTrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 09:24 PM   #5278
mzeffex 
Senior Member
 
mzeffex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Bikes: A Tarmac, a TCR, a Tipo Uno, a Grand Prix Luxe, an Anthem, a Norcross, a Claud Butler, and an SLM 2.0
Posts: 9,417
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grolby View Post
Also, what the hell is going on with my legs!?
You do look like you're about to trip over it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Are they talking about spectators feeding the cyclists? You know, like don't feed the bears?
mzeffex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 10:31 PM   #5279
M_S
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 3,693
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Excellent portaging Grumpy...


I kid...
M_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-10, 05:25 PM   #5280
milliron
Senior Member
 
milliron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Francisco Peninsula
Bikes: 1997 Trek 520
Posts: 768
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Some cyclocross action.





milliron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-10, 07:30 PM   #5281
mzeffex 
Senior Member
 
mzeffex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Bikes: A Tarmac, a TCR, a Tipo Uno, a Grand Prix Luxe, an Anthem, a Norcross, a Claud Butler, and an SLM 2.0
Posts: 9,417
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sweet bike ^

Me passing 3rd place just before my chain broke. I'm in red.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Are they talking about spectators feeding the cyclists? You know, like don't feed the bears?
mzeffex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-10, 10:06 AM   #5282
Allegheny Jet 
Senior Member
 
Allegheny Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Medina, OH
Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
Posts: 5,708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This guy followed me the entire last lap of my race. He was warming up for the A race and was creeping me out.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BF Cigar Man Chasing[1].jpg (76.6 KB, 341 views)
__________________
oldschool areodynamic brick
Allegheny Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10, 12:01 PM   #5283
milliron
Senior Member
 
milliron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Francisco Peninsula
Bikes: 1997 Trek 520
Posts: 768
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
^ ^ ^
Hah, awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzeffex View Post
Sweet bike ^
What's up Ridley buddy.
milliron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-10, 08:32 PM   #5284
LorenzoNF
zone 2
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
This guy followed me the entire last lap of my race. He was warming up for the A race and was creeping me out.

That's a perfect picture... look at the legs on that guy! And the cigar! And the 'stache! So much awesomeness.
LorenzoNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-10, 01:58 PM   #5285
aggro_jo
sittin' in
 
aggro_jo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
here's some suffering for you. I had no team in this crit so I latched onto the Mack guys and hoped for the best with one to go they moved up front and started turning the screws. (blk/white/red kit with half jackets on)

aggro_jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-10, 02:28 PM   #5286
Spring Water
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggro_jo View Post
here's some suffering for you. I had no team in this crit so I latched onto the Mack guys and hoped for the best with one to go they moved up front and started turning the screws. (blk/white/red kit with half jackets on)

I guess they no longer feel that steel is real.
Spring Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-10, 02:30 PM   #5287
aggro_jo
sittin' in
 
aggro_jo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Water View Post
I guess they no longer feel that steel is real.
I think their lower cats run whatever. Their fast guys are on steel.
aggro_jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-10, 09:31 PM   #5288
clarknick67
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, so nice pics.
clarknick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-10, 10:47 PM   #5289
aicabsolut
Senior Member
 
aicabsolut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes: 2006 Specialized Roubaix Comp
Posts: 1,505
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it really almost time to do this again? I hate winter.



USNA ITT
aicabsolut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-10, 07:22 PM   #5290
Allegheny Jet 
Senior Member
 
Allegheny Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Medina, OH
Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
Posts: 5,708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoNF View Post
That's a perfect picture... look at the legs on that guy! And the cigar! And the 'stache! So much awesomeness.
It's even awesome-er when you consider the National Champion Stripes on his jersey sleeve!
__________________
oldschool areodynamic brick
Allegheny Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-10, 11:30 AM   #5291
kdawg
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
aggro_jo
Originally Posted by Spring Water
I guess they no longer feel that steel is real.
I think their lower cats run whatever. Their fast guys are on steel.
i was behind a mack guy in march that had a full cf bike and the back of his jersey said that. i couldnt stop laughing to myself
kdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-10, 10:57 PM   #5292
arexjay
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 561
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
arexjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-10, 02:52 AM   #5293
gnome 
shaken, not stirred.
 
gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Shaky Isles.
Bikes: I've lost count.
Posts: 3,078
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Finally I can post here. From my first crit.

OTB.


Taking my turn at the front of the stragglers.
__________________
Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"
vBulletin: snafu
gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-10, 05:46 AM   #5294
carpediemracing
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Bikes: Tsunami Bikes
Posts: 14,703
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Congrats on the first race. I like the clips/straps. Trim the straps and install the toe strap "buttons" which basically form a wedge so you can tug on the straps to snug them up. In order to distribute the pressure of the straps more evenly so you don't numb your feet out too quickly use two of them. Three is overkill, doesn't help much unless you wear a size 50 or something.

Think about what happened (peak speed? not enough recovery?) and work on it.

cdr
carpediemracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-10, 06:22 AM   #5295
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
started my first race (crit) in toeclips.

everyone else were clipless. i was dropped by the 1st corner.

i bought some clipless pedals the next day.
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-10, 07:45 AM   #5296
carpediemracing
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Bikes: Tsunami Bikes
Posts: 14,703
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botto View Post
started my first race (crit) in toeclips.

everyone else were clipless. i was dropped by the 1st corner.

i bought some clipless pedals the next day.
Youngster.

When I started racing, we all had clips and straps. When Look (and Aerolite, ahem) became more available in 1986 (meaning us mortals could buy them - Aerolite must have been around but no one took them seriously until Look came out with pedals), I was one of a few guys on clipless. When a race started you'd hear all the metal clips dragging on the ground as well as about 6 "clacks" as us clipless folks snapped into our pedals. I usually took advantage of the quick entry and would attack at the start (partly to warm up too).

Next spring, first race, it sounded like someone set off a bunch of lady finger firecrackers - the start line rippled with "clacks". In other words it sounds like it does now.

Of course this makes me want to think about putting on the Aerolites. 78 or so grams for the pair of pedals. WITH cleats. Part of my tech advantage back in the mid 80s to early 90s. Light pedals, wheels, aero bars (Rakes), bar end shifter.
carpediemracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-10, 07:50 AM   #5297
waterrockets 
Making a kilometer blurry
 
waterrockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Austin (near TX)
Bikes: rkwaki's porn collection
Posts: 26,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My first season (including first win) was with clips, but not because I'm older than cdr... I was just too poor to buy pedals (it was '92)
waterrockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-10, 07:55 AM   #5298
waterrockets 
Making a kilometer blurry
 
waterrockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Austin (near TX)
Bikes: rkwaki's porn collection
Posts: 26,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh, and congrats on the first crit

Your suffering looks about right.
waterrockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-10, 09:34 AM   #5299
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
Youngster.

When I started racing, we all had clips and straps. When Look (and Aerolite, ahem) became more available in 1986 (meaning us mortals could buy them - Aerolite must have been around but no one took them seriously until Look came out with pedals), I was one of a few guys on clipless. When a race started you'd hear all the metal clips dragging on the ground as well as about 6 "clacks" as us clipless folks snapped into our pedals. I usually took advantage of the quick entry and would attack at the start (partly to warm up too).

Next spring, first race, it sounded like someone set off a bunch of lady finger firecrackers - the start line rippled with "clacks". In other words it sounds like it does now.

Of course this makes me want to think about putting on the Aerolites. 78 or so grams for the pair of pedals. WITH cleats. Part of my tech advantage back in the mid 80s to early 90s. Light pedals, wheels, aero bars (Rakes), bar end shifter.
what can i say, i was a huge sean kelly fan.
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-10, 09:55 AM   #5300
HMF
SkinnyStrong
 
HMF's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Austin, Tejas
Bikes:
Posts: 1,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnome View Post
Finally I can post here. From my first crit.

OTB.
Taking my turn at the front of the stragglers.
Keep your head up, soldier. It's not your own wheel you're chasing.
HMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:03 AM.